Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Why does everyone want Omar Jacobs?

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    Anyone on here who has actually watched him play, knows he has absolutely horrible mechanics. It worked for him in college, but he is gonna have to totally change his throwing motion in the NFL, much like Carr had to. I feel this has had something to do with Carr not taking off like he was expected to in the NFL(along with the lack of O-line in Houston), and will probably slow down Jacobs' growth.

Personally I think we need to be looking for a QB that is gonna be ready to start in 1 year, with Brad nearing the ending point of his career. I just feel that Jacobs is more of a project, then say Brodie Croyle. I think Croyle could come in and even play some next season, if Brad were to go down, whereas I think it will be 2 or 3 seasons before Jacobs is truely ready to start and then who knows, with him having to change his mechanics.
    Great assessment...one that I agree with wholeheartedly! We don't need a "project" at QB right now...maybe AFTER we have found Brad's eventual replacement...but not now! JUST SAY NO...to Omar Jacobs!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

The way I see it we will have Brad for a year or 2..

Omar learns to do his thing.. He is better then Croyle or Whitehurst will ever be..

He will come in his second year and struggle a bit but he will get good playing time and all.
    By his third year in the league he will be playing his 2nd year as a starter and will be just fine

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Do you think he would have to change his mechanics though?

If he throws it and it gets there would they really change it?

It got the job done in college very well.. How would it be really different in the pros if he throws low? I'm not saying college and pros are alike.. Im just wondering how it would make a big deal?
    I'm guessing (I could be wrong) that it may be easier for him to throw low in college because he worked from a Shotgun formation in college.

I may be wrong..
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"happy camper" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Do you think he would have to change his mechanics though?

If he throws it and it gets there would they really change it?

It got the job done in college very well.. How would it be really different in the pros if he throws low? I'm not saying college and pros are alike.. Im just wondering how it would make a big deal?
    I'm guessing (I could be wrong) that it may be easier for him to throw low in college because he worked from a Shotgun formation in college.

I may be wrong..

That could be true yah.. He has more room to work with back there..

I guess we will see whath happens.. If we take him great.. Im not I don't care I spose

LunchBox is offline Rookie

Having seen Jacobs absolutely LIGHT UP my Badgers defense, i can tell you, he's pretty good. I don't think he's second round good, but I think he can play in the NFL. But guys, you're not gonna find a franchise QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, if you do, it's pure luck. You really have to get a high 1st round guy and even then it's a 50-50. That's why franchise QBs are so valuable and why the next 5 years could get a little scary.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

The new ESPN Draft Guide has him ranked as the 4th QB, and projected to go in the second round. Here's what they have to say:

Positives: Physique
    Has the size, body and arm strength that makes scouts drool. Has fine touch on shorter plays, the ability to vary velocity to ensure catchable passes. Decent zip on deep balls. Gets set quickly thanks to nifty feet. Has good pocket presence, and can buy time or take off downfield because of his mobility. Has plus speed and the agility to make plays in space. Brims with confidence and bounces back well from mistakes.

Negatives: Polish
    Will require plenty of developmental time. Doesn't have great mechanics. Impatient in pocket. Release point is too low, and timing is frequently off. Deep throws are inconsistent. Coming from pass-friendly, shotgun-oriented system, will struggle acclimating to NFL offenses, which are far more complicated.

Equivalent NFL player: Mark Brunell

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

I bet anything he falls to the 2nd day in the draft. Those bad mechanics really scare teams away from guys, and they should. It doesn't matter how tall a QB is, no team in the NFL will let him be a sidearm passer. I mean look at how good Carr was coming out of college, and yet he was still forced to change. Jacobs is far from where Carr was when he entered the NFL and his mechanics are also far worse.

He is a project and I bet slips to the 4th round. He would be a great value pick in the 4th though, but just not for us. He would be a good pick for a team that has an established starter, who they plan on being with the team for 2-4 years, while they develope Jacobs.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456