Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ZDoy379 is offline Starter

Re: Why does everyone love Whitehurst so much?

since we have a WCO now i believe Omar Joacobs or Brodie Croyle are my tope picks for a QB. Omar doesnt have the best form of all the QB's in the draft but he is smart and is great at throwing on the run. he doesnt throw sidearm like vince but his arm is tucked in. but he has the arm strength to play in the next level. he is ver athletic and accurate. he plays the game intelligent and doesnt force things. brad can also help him with that. has the right size to be an nfl qb.
    Brodie is pretty accurate and has the arm strength to be in the nfl. the only thing that is wrong with him is that he throws somewhat a lot of interceptions but i dont think he'll throw a lot in the WCO and if hes under brad for a year or two. he has great throwing technique but he isnt consistent enough and sometimes doesnt play smart. he wants to win.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"ZDoy379" wrote:
    i hate whitehurst. look at his stats on espn. they are horrible. i dont know too much about Kellen Clemens either but i dont want to draft him either. i say for our future qb we either select omar jacobs and brodie croyle.

Brodie Croyle has had ACL tears both knees, passing shoulder injury, dislocated elbow, and a torn labrum.

Can he stay healthy?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    I've been a Whitehurst supporter for some time now, I did watch a couple of games he played and found him to be of sound playing skills and tough.

Who ever wrote the above report, gave us their oppinion, mine is different.

Number one and lets put this at the top of the list, he had an offensive line that was not so good, running backs that where okay and recievers that where not of the best during his college career.

If you watch him play, he has a very fluid and smooth drop back, and very sound footwork.

I disagree with the statement above about the holding onto the ball to long. I've seen him get rid of the ball very quickly, with good accuracy. He may hold onto the ball to long at times, but thats because his recievers wheren't open.

For a big QB, I've also seen him take off running with the ball, and he does have some wheels and a tough guy to bring down.

He poseses a take charge look about him also, and seems to portray that on the field. A true leader, a must for a QB.

Bottom line, I just believe he is going to mold into a pro QB nicely, and would be nice to see him mentored by someone like Brad J for the next year. Matter of fact, he reminds me alot of Brad Johnson when Brad came into the league.

I just have a good feeling about him and think he's for sure, one of those hidden gems that come along under the radar. Another fact, and I'm not sure how I feel about it totaly is, he has some good bloodlines in him also from his Dad....But that fact meens alot more to me when it comes to Horse Racing and c**I love the word I used**k Fighting.....LOL
    I pretty much don't agree with anything you say about Whitehurst.

If whitehurst really was a good quarterback, he would be able to have marginal success with the pourous o-line. He did have an OK running game and his recievers were never bad. It's no excuse for having the bad years he had. Philip Rivers played in the ACC around the same time and he had amazing success with only OK recievers and running game as well as o-line.

He does not have smooth footwork. He is always late on his releases leading to his high interception count. That is NOT what we want in a WCO QB. He holds onto the ball for way too long and that is a fact. The recievers not open thing sounds like some excuse brett favre makes for throwing interceptions.

Lastly, this guy is NOT a leader. He would be picked year after year as ACC player of the year just to let his team down with bad performance or big injuries. I have seen him give up at the end of a season when he knows he won't be making a bowl game. In all he is a player that had potential but just didn't cut it.

That being said I wouldn't be pissed if we picked him in the 4th round or something. You never know with QB's.. college performance may not be indicative of how he does in the NFL as we have seen time and time again.
    NC STATE BIAS!!!! IGNORE THIS LAST POSTER!!! :razz: :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "ZDoy379" wrote:
    i hate whitehurst. look at his stats on espn. they are horrible. i dont know too much about Kellen Clemens either but i dont want to draft him either. i say for our future qb we either select omar jacobs and brodie croyle.

Brodie Croyle has had ACL tears both knees, passing shoulder injury, dislocated elbow, and a torn labrum.

Can he stay healthy?

I love Croyle also if we can't get one of the top three. He's so smooth and calm ... reminds me alot of Joe Nammath (sp?). He's tough, has a cannon of an arm and is pretty accurate. I hate Bama', but like this kid.

That is the question on him though, can he stay healthy. I would be willing to float a 3rd rounder on him and take that chance.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    I've been a Whitehurst supporter for some time now, I did watch a couple of games he played and found him to be of sound playing skills and tough.

Who ever wrote the above report, gave us their oppinion, mine is different.

Number one and lets put this at the top of the list, he had an offensive line that was not so good, running backs that where okay and recievers that where not of the best during his college career.

If you watch him play, he has a very fluid and smooth drop back, and very sound footwork.

I disagree with the statement above about the holding onto the ball to long. I've seen him get rid of the ball very quickly, with good accuracy. He may hold onto the ball to long at times, but thats because his recievers wheren't open.

For a big QB, I've also seen him take off running with the ball, and he does have some wheels and a tough guy to bring down.

He poseses a take charge look about him also, and seems to portray that on the field. A true leader, a must for a QB.

Bottom line, I just believe he is going to mold into a pro QB nicely, and would be nice to see him mentored by someone like Brad J for the next year. Matter of fact, he reminds me alot of Brad Johnson when Brad came into the league.

I just have a good feeling about him and think he's for sure, one of those hidden gems that come along under the radar. Another fact, and I'm not sure how I feel about it totaly is, he has some good bloodlines in him also from his Dad....But that fact meens alot more to me when it comes to Horse Racing and c**I love the word I used**k Fighting.....LOL
    I pretty much don't agree with anything you say about Whitehurst.

If whitehurst really was a good quarterback, he would be able to have marginal success with the pourous o-line. He did have an OK running game and his recievers were never bad. It's no excuse for having the bad years he had. Philip Rivers played in the ACC around the same time and he had amazing success with only OK recievers and running game as well as o-line.

He does not have smooth footwork. He is always late on his releases leading to his high interception count. That is NOT what we want in a WCO QB. He holds onto the ball for way too long and that is a fact. The recievers not open thing sounds like some excuse brett favre makes for throwing interceptions.

Lastly, this guy is NOT a leader. He would be picked year after year as ACC player of the year just to let his team down with bad performance or big injuries. I have seen him give up at the end of a season when he knows he won't be making a bowl game. In all he is a player that had potential but just didn't cut it.

That being said I wouldn't be pissed if we picked him in the 4th round or something. You never know with QB's.. college performance may not be indicative of how he does in the NFL as we have seen time and time again.
    NC STATE BIAS!!!! IGNORE THIS LAST POSTER!!! :razz: :lol:
    Haha. He's seriously not that good. Nothing better than a 4th or 5th round pick. He chokes big time.

Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

"mewario" wrote:
    okay, maybe I'm exaggerating by saying everybody, but a lot of people on this board want this guy. I never saw anything special out of him in college, what draws you to him? I'll give you he has good size, anybody see him play extensively?

and I hate pulling out statistics, but he had horrible stats in college compared to any other qb entering the draft.

YEAR CMP/ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    2002 123/214 1554 57.5 7.26 83 10 6 16 128.29
    2003 288/465 3561 61.9 7.66 72 21 13 22 135.57
    2004 177/349 2067 50.7 5.92 56 7 17 25 97.35
    2005 227/338 2474 67.2 7.32 51 11 10 20 133.47

Height: 6-4 3/4 | Weight: 223 | 40-Time: 4.70

Strengths:
    Has excellent size...Great arm strength with an overhead delivery...Good natural athlete who can move around in the pocket a little...Smart and tough with solid intangibles...Efficient in the short passing game...Durable three-year starter with a lot of experience...Still has some upside and potential...Has good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:
    Very erratic and has had an up and down career...Makes way too many bad decisions, especially under pressure...Not a threat to run and is basically a pocket passer...Takes unnecessary risks...Needs to be more accurate, especially on deep passes...Holds onto the ball too long...Needs to be coached up and developed.

Notes:
    Son of former Green Bay Packer quarterback David Whitehurst, who played in the NFL from 1976-83...Looked like a potential top prospect early in his career but bottomed out as a junior before bouncing back to a degree in 2005...Has a lot of physical tools to work with and could develop into a starter at the pro level.
    If you look at his weakness' most of them are all coachable. He is a poor decision maker--very fixable. accuracy--may be hard to fix. holds onto ball too long--fixable. Maybe people see the highs and think good coaching can make him play that way all the time.
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

mewario is offline Starter

Yeah, but a lot of people don't mind drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd round, he has too many issues to waste such a high pick on.

Here is CNNSI's profile of him.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized athletic passer with an inconsistent game. Displays a sense of timing, sets up with proper fundamentals and quickly releases the ball. Tough, stands in against the rush and is patient when given time. Throws with an over-the-top delivery and has an NFL arm. Zips the outs and flashes ability to hit receivers as they leave their breaks.

NEGATIVES: Indecisive, not poised under pressure and makes poor decisions. Falls out of throws and tends to direct passes. Forces the action as the pocket collapses around him.

ANALYSIS: Possessing the physical skills to play at the next level, Whitehurst has yet to display the consistent decision-making required of an NFL starter. Practice-squad passer best served spending a season or two in Europe.

PROJECTION: Early Fourth Round

two years in Europe? Not worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder, by far.

mewario is offline Starter

Would have liked to have picked Kyle Orton last year.. I've been wanting to pick a QB for years now to groom..

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Whitehurst will be a third stringer in the NFL. I hope the Vikings don't waste a first day pick on him. If they're going to get a QB in the late rounds I'd rather they take Shockley or McNeal than Whitehurst.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Deleted_User_7552 is offline Training Camp

WE ONLY LOVE MEADS, BLOOD AND WENCHES

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12