Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mewario is offline Starter

Why does everyone love Whitehurst so much?

okay, maybe I'm exaggerating by saying everybody, but a lot of people on this board want this guy. I never saw anything special out of him in college, what draws you to him? I'll give you he has good size, anybody see him play extensively?

and I hate pulling out statistics, but he had horrible stats in college compared to any other qb entering the draft.

YEAR CMP/ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    2002 123/214 1554 57.5 7.26 83 10 6 16 128.29
    2003 288/465 3561 61.9 7.66 72 21 13 22 135.57
    2004 177/349 2067 50.7 5.92 56 7 17 25 97.35
    2005 227/338 2474 67.2 7.32 51 11 10 20 133.47

Height: 6-4 3/4 | Weight: 223 | 40-Time: 4.70

Strengths:
    Has excellent size...Great arm strength with an overhead delivery...Good natural athlete who can move around in the pocket a little...Smart and tough with solid intangibles...Efficient in the short passing game...Durable three-year starter with a lot of experience...Still has some upside and potential...Has good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:
    Very erratic and has had an up and down career...Makes way too many bad decisions, especially under pressure...Not a threat to run and is basically a pocket passer...Takes unnecessary risks...Needs to be more accurate, especially on deep passes...Holds onto the ball too long...Needs to be coached up and developed.

Notes:
    Son of former Green Bay Packer quarterback David Whitehurst, who played in the NFL from 1976-83...Looked like a potential top prospect early in his career but bottomed out as a junior before bouncing back to a degree in 2005...Has a lot of physical tools to work with and could develop into a starter at the pro level.

SnoSho is offline Rookie

Re: Why does everyone love Whitehurst so much?

Just take a look at the other topics on QB's if it's not Leinhart this year it's a shot in the dark from what everyone says. I think it's probably cause he's available and has solid mechanics. Leinhart, Young, and Cutler will most likely be gone by our pick at 17 so that moves us to round 2 to draft a QB. Jacobs has mechanic issues, Croyle has a history of injuries. So out of "the Top 6" QB's in the draft he's the least of a project.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I've been a Whitehurst supporter for some time now, I did watch a couple of games he played and found him to be of sound playing skills and tough.

Who ever wrote the above report, gave us their oppinion, mine is different.

Number one and lets put this at the top of the list, he had an offensive line that was not so good, running backs that where okay and recievers that where not of the best during his college career.

If you watch him play, he has a very fluid and smooth drop back, and very sound footwork.

I disagree with the statement above about the holding onto the ball to long. I've seen him get rid of the ball very quickly, with good accuracy. He may hold onto the ball to long at times, but thats because his recievers wheren't open.

For a big QB, I've also seen him take off running with the ball, and he does have some wheels and a tough guy to bring down.

He poseses a take charge look about him also, and seems to portray that on the field. A true leader, a must for a QB.

Bottom line, I just believe he is going to mold into a pro QB nicely, and would be nice to see him mentored by someone like Brad J for the next year. Matter of fact, he reminds me alot of Brad Johnson when Brad came into the league.

I just have a good feeling about him and think he's for sure, one of those hidden gems that come along under the radar. Another fact, and I'm not sure how I feel about it totaly is, he has some good bloodlines in him also from his Dad....But that fact meens alot more to me when it comes to Horse Racing and Cock Fighting.....LOL

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

We love the kid because we believe in the judgement of Ned.

No seriously; Whitehurst is a QB who is used to be a drop back pocket passer. He has the strength, and I believe is the type that will fit the new offense well, because he is building on the style of play he is used to playing.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

O.K., youse mugs, I asked my new cellmate, Joaquin B. Hindyu, an' dis is what he tol' me on dis palooka...
    ==================================================
    Charlie Whitehurst
    QB | (6'4", 223, 4.77) | CLEMSON

Scouts Grade: 77

Strengths: He has very good overall size. Is tall and well-built. Shows decent foot quickness and mobility for his size. Is smooth and has good body control. Can see over his offensive line and rarely has trouble finding passing windows. He has a high release and doesn't have many passes batted down. He has great arm strength. Throws the deep ball with good velocity and also gets great RPM's on deep-out routes. He can drive the ball downfield. Is capable of throwing on the run when rolling both to the right and left. Puts good touch on the deep ball. Can drop the ball in between the safeties and linebackers. He has a smooth release and shows the ability to take speed off his underneath throws. His timing is inconsistent but his touch is excellent. When he has time to set up and make his reads from within the pocket, he can be a very accurate passer. Does a good job in terms of his play-fakes. Will freeze the linebacker.

Weaknesses: Is an inconsistent performer. Comes from a wide-open shotgun-heavy offensive system. Will need to adjust to taking snaps from under center more frequently in the NFL. Possesses adequate straight-line speed but not a great athlete. Purely a pocket passer. Will not be a threat to run at the next level. He seems to be careless too often. He can be overconfident and will take too many chances throwing into traffic. He throws too many passes up for grabs when the pocket is collapsing around him. His mechanics are inconsistent. Will throw off his back foot too often. Makes too many poor decisions under pressure. Does not show the consistent ability to beat the blitz. Release is too slow at times. He will be too late in terms of his timing on the deep ball sometimes. He has good overall size but lacks muscle definition. There are lots of questions about his commitment in the offseason and in the weight room.

Overall: Whitehurst redshirted in 2001 and ranked second in passing efficiency in the ACC in 2002. He emerged as one of college football's most productive passers as a sophomore in 2003, when he completed 61.9-percent of his passes for 3,561 yards with 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. However, with behind a patchwork offensive line and with a complete facelift at the wide receiver position, Whitehurst struggled early as a junior. He improved as the season progressed but the 2004 season as a whole was a disappointing campaign, as Whitehurst started all 11 games, completed just 50.5-percent of his attempts for 2,067 yards with just seven TD's compared to 17 INT's. He bounced back as a senior in 2005, when Whitehurst completed 67.2-percent of his attempts for 2,474 yards with 11 TD's and 10 INT's. Whitehurst is a big, strong-armed pocket passer that rebounded nicely as a senior in 2005 following a miserably disappointing 2004 campaign. Whitehurst has good overall physical tools and has flashed the potential to possibly emerge as a starting quarterback in the right system at the next level. However, he is entirely too inconsistent and erratic to consider selecting in the first two rounds of the 2006 draft. His lack of athleticism also puts limitations on his playmaking ability. In our opinion, Whitehurst is worth drafting late on Day 1 but no earlier than Round 3.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

ZDoy379 is offline Starter

i hate whitehurst. look at his stats on espn. they are horrible. i dont know too much about Kellen Clemens either but i dont want to draft him either. i say for our future qb we either select omar jacobs and brodie croyle.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:
    I've been a Whitehurst supporter for some time now, I did watch a couple of games he played and found him to be of sound playing skills and tough.

Number one and lets put this at the top of the list, he had an offensive line that was not so good, running backs that where okay and recievers that where not of the best during his college career.

If you watch him play, he has a very fluid and smooth drop back, and very sound footwork.

I disagree with the statement above about the holding onto the ball to long. I've seen him get rid of the ball very quickly, with good accuracy. He may hold onto the ball to long at times, but thats because his recievers wheren't open.

For a big QB, I've also seen him take off running with the ball, and he does have some wheels and a tough guy to bring down.

He poseses a take charge look about him also, and seems to portray that on the field. A true leader, a must for a QB.

Bottom line, I just believe he is going to mold into a pro QB nicely, and would be nice to see him mentored by someone like Brad J for the next year. Matter of fact, he reminds me alot of Brad Johnson when Brad came into the league.

I just have a good feeling about him and think he's for sure, one of those hidden gems that come along under the radar. Another fact, and I'm not sure how I feel about it totaly is, he has some good bloodlines in him also from his Dad....But that fact meens alot more to me when it comes to Horse Racing and c**I love the word I used**k Fighting.....LOL
    Looking at his sack totals, it sure does appear that he had a crappy OL while he was there...either that or he DOES have a problem getting rid of the ball...of course, I would rather see our QB take a sack than throw an INT any day!!!

He is a very good prospect for development...his completion percentages are good and he has all the tools to succeed at the next level...remember, Brad didn't even start in college, yet he has started for four different teams and led one of them to a Super Bowl win. Whitehurst is gonna be a good pro...he just needs time to develop...much like Chris Simms has the last few years.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

I think the reason I like Whitehurst (though I wouldn't be upset if we took someone else) is that he has all the weapons to be a big time QB. He's got the armstrength and the mechanics. Those are two things that just can't be "fixed" at the next level. He makes erratic decisions but that's what Brad Johnson is best at and BJ can train him up. As for the work ethic, well that's definitely a concern. I don't see him lasting long in a Childress regime if he slacks off though. Overall, I think he is raw but he has all the good qualities that you can't fix and all the bad ones that you can.

Once again, I'm not completely sold on the kid and honestly I think I'd rather have Croyle. But if you skip on a QB in Round 2 get another stud LB or CB and an OG, then get Whitehurst in Round 3, I'd be completely happy with that.

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:

I just have a good feeling about him and think he's for sure, one of those hidden gems that come along under the radar. Another fact, and I'm not sure how I feel about it totaly is, he has some good bloodlines in him also from his Dad....But that fact meens alot more to me when it comes to Horse Racing and c**I love the word I used**k Fighting.....LOL
    I pretty much don't agree with anything you say about Whitehurst.

If whitehurst really was a good quarterback, he would be able to have marginal success with the pourous o-line. He did have an OK running game and his recievers were never bad. It's no excuse for having the bad years he had. Philip Rivers played in the ACC around the same time and he had amazing success with only OK recievers and running game as well as o-line.

He does not have smooth footwork. He is always late on his releases leading to his high interception count. That is NOT what we want in a WCO QB. He holds onto the ball for way too long and that is a fact. The recievers not open thing sounds like some excuse brett favre makes for throwing interceptions.

Lastly, this guy is NOT a leader. He would be picked year after year as ACC player of the year just to let his team down with bad performance or big injuries. I have seen him give up at the end of a season when he knows he won't be making a bowl game. In all he is a player that had potential but just didn't cut it.

That being said I wouldn't be pissed if we picked him in the 4th round or something. You never know with QB's.. college performance may not be indicative of how he does in the NFL as we have seen time and time again.

Weaknesses sounds like Bret Favre's. Everybody loves Favre.
    We can solve poverty today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast