Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

why do people think we need wr's?

We do not need wr's of all positions we are prolly the most deep at that one. some people say that you need a standout reciver to win a championship but this is not true. look at the patriots of years past. they have not had one star reciver in all their superbowl victorys. We have tons of potential and id much rather beef up the line then add another eeciver to the already incredibly talented pool of players we have.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Re: why do people think we need wr's?

I don't think we need a WR badly, but Burly needs to step it up, he was terrible last year even before he was hurt. The WR's didnt help daunte almost as much as that terrible line.
    You republican whore!

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Other than probably everyone on this site agreeing that we shold re-sign K-Rob, I don't think I've seen one post this offseason talking about us needing recievers

[color=red]

tylersieve is offline Starter

same here all ive seen is the chad johnson post and that was about it besides resigning k-rob, i mean the chad johnson thing was only wouldnt it be sweet if we had him......VIKINGS SIGN K-ROB
    Sieveinator Strikes Agian

JDante is offline Rookie

The Minnesota Vikings dont need Wide Recievers, Brad Johsnons style of play is just perfect regardless of who your Wide Recievers are. Its Daunte Culpepper who needs WRs. Ya see the diffference between Culpepper and Johnson is Culpepper's claim to fame is his passing arm. He throws it long and far, and he needs recievers that can stretch down the field and go catch that long ball. Without Moss Daunte was forced to keep his throwing arm in check, he couldnt just bomb it down the field and expect Moss to go and catch it. And he cant just throw it to the other recievers now because without Moss drawing double and triple teams the defense can play the other recievers straight up. Thats why Daunte Culpepper failed last year, he was forced to adadpt to a new style of play, the West Coast Offense, which is simply executing short plays and steadily working your way downfield. And that style doesnt fit him, Culpepper cant read the defense like Brady or Peyton can, he can cause confusion amongst defensive backs with his running game but his ability to read the coverage and slide the ball inbetween defenders is abysmal. Hes good at what he does, but he cannot do that with the present receiving core, because the defense can play it straight up, it causes no mismatches, and forces Daunte Culepper to think. Not good.

Brad Johnson on the other hand, his specialty IS the WestCoast Offense. His arm strength was never a factor, it was all about timing accurcay consistency efficiency, with him it was about getting 4 yards at a time. He can read the defense, manipulate the coverages, find the open guy and nail him, working the balll down the field in a slow but effective manner. All the recievers have to do is get open,ish, and he can hit em for a firstdown.

Lastly, just to drive my point home, im about to bring down some stats. Right now the Minnesota Vikings best receiver is Travis Taylor. He led our team in yards with 604. He finished second on our team in Touchdowns with 4. FOUR TDs is our BEST Wide Recievers total for the entire year. Marcus Robinson actually LED our team in Tds. With five. Thats pathetic im sorry but a REAL star reciever should be able to get 5 tounchdowns in like 5 games. I Understand where you are coming from saying we dont need a star reciever, the Patriots dont have a real standout neither but at least ALL of there recievers are doing good. We have ONE reciever with 5 touchdowns, another one with 4, and then 3 recievers finished with 2 TDs, 4 finished with 1, and four more finished with ZERO touchdowns in SIXTEEN Games. THis is not a very encouraging statistic if you are trying to convince someone that we have a solid recieving core.

And its not like we have a solid running game, with our leading rusher being Mewelde Moore, he clocked in 662 yards by the end fo the season. He was our leader in rushing, but he had ONE TD all season. Our TD leader however, had 4. Thats Ciatrick Fason. Yea, 4 TDs and 62 all season. Still dont think we need some WRs? Micheal Bennet had three TDs and 473 yards, which is a complete JOKE, especially coming from a former ProBowl starter. No reason to even mention Moe Williams, Brad Johnson averages more yards per carry than him.

Well, this response has been getting pretty long so im about to cut it short right about now. I hope that by looking up those statistics and posting them so that you can have solid proof of why the Vikings need a WR, i clarified why it is that I think we should pursue Chad Jackson or Sinorice Moss in this upcoming NFL Draft. Especially if Culpepper is going to start again, because there is no reason for him NOT throw as many INTs as he did last season if we cant get our recievers to cause some mismatches on the field. Thank you for takin yo time and readin my fourth post!
    Yea.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I'll give you a statistic, No offensive line, most of that IMO is complete pooh. The reason we had no rushing attack was because we have inconsistent Run Blocking and none at times. That then led to a lack of passing yards. One Dimensional? Yes.

We have 3 guys on the roster that are proven 1,000 yard WR's. Daunte Culpepper had a record year regardless of moss being hurt and only having 900 of his 5000 yards. Hmmmmm. Lack of offensive line caused Culpepper to self distruct.

I do agree to an extent about some of your post but in no way do we need WR's. Teams should be drooling at our Wide Outs, We have veteran quality, and lots of young talent. Good Depth. If Burleson stays healthy and we get a running game going nates gonna have a break out year.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

we have 5 capable WRs. we dont need that many, so someone has to go. but the problem with these 5 are they are not outstanding, they are just average. i think we must keep bureslon as he is young and he is going to get better.
    We're bringing purple back.

It would just be plane stupid if we used ANY of our draft picks on a WR!!! Buff up that Defense i say!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler

defense and offensive line

I think if Birk can come back full strength then we won't have to worry too much about the line right away!! I think FA can take care of that problem!!! ESPECIALLY since it was either Bills or someone else who released that OT Williams who was a 1RD 4pck in 2004 draft!!! I WONDER WHATS WRONG WITH THAT GUY!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast