Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53
  1. #11
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    What happened to DJ Hackett?

  2. #12
    PacMan21's Avatar
    PacMan21 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    164

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    I think the 2nd round tender on DJ Hackett & Ernie Wilford are both too spendy for us. I think they have potential to be a great #2 WR's, but I would wait and see if they hit the market in 2008 because we have too many holes to fill to trade away 1st day draft picks.

    I'd like to sign Bobby Engram & (I know it's a long shot, but) Antonio Bryant. Engram is a great receiver and could (potentially) help mentor our receivers. Antonio Bryant is as close to a #1 WR left and I think (also a long shot) if he stays out of trouble, will be a potential pro-bowler for the better part of a decade.

    But that's just my opinion.


    Thanks for the sig PurplePeopleEaters

  3. #13
    tb04512's Avatar
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    "PacMan21" wrote:
    I think the 2nd round tender on DJ Hackett & Ernie Wilford are both too spendy for us. I think they have potential to be a great #2 WR's, but I would wait and see if they hit the market in 2008 because we have too many holes to fill to trade away 1st day draft picks.

    I'd like to sign Bobby Engram & (I know it's a long shot, but) Antonio Bryant. Engram is a great receiver and could (potentially) help mentor our receivers. Antonio Bryant is as close to a #1 WR left and I think (also a long shot) if he stays out of trouble, will be a potential pro-bowler for the better part of a decade.

    But that's just my opinion.
    i agree to going for bryant but like someone else said to a one year so if he isnt what we thought buh bye.. i would like to see Wilford in Purple he is a big endzone threat, although i would not give up a 2nd for him, maybe a 3rd rounder in a trade.
    That would hurt less if we did trade down in the draft and gather a couple picks.

    Thanks josdin00

  4. #14
    bigbadragz's Avatar
    bigbadragz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    823

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    "Purplexing" wrote:
    Signing free agents just because there are three (perceived) openings on the roster for WRs is wasteful and ignorant.
    There are other options; i.e. the draft,
    late pre-season cuts, and trades consummated just before the regular season begins.

    WRs are not the only position that can be used to move the ball through the air.

    The Pentagon of Power might opt to draft one WR in rds 1-3 and pick up one or more later in rds 4-7 or walk-ons ( e.g Hank Baskett ), and rely on drafting a TE or RB with good pass-receiving skills in rds 2 or 3 to supplement the WR crew.






    i never knew trying to upgrade a position as being ignorant.
    out of the free agent wr's out there we could have upgraded.
    some instances we just didn't get a shot, but we didn't exactly come out like gangbusters.
    curtis was an option and turned out to be the only one we pursued and it seemed half heartedly.
    you can't tell me bringing in a vet, like a moulds or a bobby engram would not help the wr corp.
    maybe not to the point where we throw for 35 td's this year, but nonetheless.
    but to bank on june 1st cuts and draft picks ranging from rounds 1 to undrafted free agents is a bit risky.
    at least if you sign one of these could be bums you can always cut them if the young guys outplay them.
    look around the league and see how many teams go into the season without any proven commodities.
    while we waited to see if marvin harrison is gonna get cut on june 1st, some solid vets went off the board without much pursuit from us.
    here's hoping martin nance is healthy and ready to become marques colston.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

  5. #15
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    Morning Papers: Vikings Turn To Plan C
    Posted Mar 16th 2007 7:46AM
    by JJ Cooper

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  6. #16
    tb04512's Avatar
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    "Prophet" wrote:
    Morning Papers: Vikings Turn To Plan C
    Posted Mar 16th 2007 7:46AM
    by JJ Cooper

    i read that expecting to hear a plan.... i overestimated the information i could get from mn writers... :P

    Thanks josdin00

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    999

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    "bigbadragz" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    Signing free agents just because there are three (perceived) openings on the roster for WRs is wasteful and ignorant.
    There are other options; i.e. the draft,
    late pre-season cuts, and trades consummated just before the regular season begins.

    WRs are not the only position that can be used to move the ball through the air.

    The Pentagon of Power might opt to draft one WR in rds 1-3 and pick up one or more later in rds 4-7 or walk-ons ( e.g Hank Baskett ), and rely on drafting a TE or RB with good pass-receiving skills in rds 2 or 3 to supplement the WR crew.
    i never knew trying to upgrade a position as being ignorant.
    out of the free agent wr's out there we could have upgraded.
    some instances we just didn't get a shot, but we didn't exactly come out like gangbusters.
    curtis was an option and turned out to be the only one we pursued and it seemed half heartedly.
    you can't tell me bringing in a vet, like a moulds or a bobby engram would not help the wr corp.
    maybe not to the point where we throw for 35 td's this year, but nonetheless.
    but to bank on june 1st cuts and draft picks ranging from rounds 1 to undrafted free agents is a bit risky.
    at least if you sign one of these could be bums you can always cut them if the young guys outplay them.
    look around the league and see how many teams go into the season without any proven commodities.
    while we waited to see if marvin harrison is gonna get cut on june 1st, some solid vets went off the board without much pursuit from us.
    here's hoping martin nance is healthy and ready to become marques colston.
    I appreciate the opportunity to educate you on the fact that pursuing miscreants is not in the Pentagon of Power Plan as it violates theory underlying The Code of Conduct.


    Curtis was pursued, as was Wade.
    Other teams pursued the other free agents.
    The Vikings learned the disadvantages of relying on disruptive players such as Randy Moss, Onterrio Smith, K. Robinson and a few orthers.
    Childress learned similar lessons in the Culpepper and TOwens incidents.
    The Bengals, Bears and Titans have learned similar lessons with their miscreants recently.
    And now the NFL front office is considering a '3-strikes and you're out' rule, among other changes to player disciplinary action.

    Upgrading by taking free agents that aren't worth the downside risk just because they are available is ignorant because it IGNORES the players that will be available later in the draft and post-draft cuts.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

  8. #18
    marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "bigbadragz" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    Signing free agents just because there are three (perceived) openings on the roster for WRs is wasteful and ignorant.
    There are other options; i.e. the draft,
    late pre-season cuts, and trades consummated just before the regular season begins.

    WRs are not the only position that can be used to move the ball through the air.

    The Pentagon of Power might opt to draft one WR in rds 1-3 and pick up one or more later in rds 4-7 or walk-ons ( e.g Hank Baskett ), and rely on drafting a TE or RB with good pass-receiving skills in rds 2 or 3 to supplement the WR crew.
    i never knew trying to upgrade a position as being ignorant.
    out of the free agent wr's out there we could have upgraded.
    some instances we just didn't get a shot, but we didn't exactly come out like gangbusters.
    curtis was an option and turned out to be the only one we pursued and it seemed half heartedly.
    you can't tell me bringing in a vet, like a moulds or a bobby engram would not help the wr corp.
    maybe not to the point where we throw for 35 td's this year, but nonetheless.
    but to bank on june 1st cuts and draft picks ranging from rounds 1 to undrafted free agents is a bit risky.
    at least if you sign one of these could be bums you can always cut them if the young guys outplay them.
    look around the league and see how many teams go into the season without any proven commodities.
    while we waited to see if marvin harrison is gonna get cut on june 1st, some solid vets went off the board without much pursuit from us.
    here's hoping martin nance is healthy and ready to become marques colston.
    I appreciate the opportunity to educate you on the fact that pursuing miscreants is not in the Pentagon of Power Plan as it violates theory underlying The Code of Conduct.


    Curtis was pursued, as was Wade.
    Other teams pursued the other free agents.
    The Vikings learned the disadvantages of relying on disruptive players such as Randy Moss, Onterrio Smith, K. Robinson and a few orthers.
    Childress learned similar lessons in the Culpepper and TOwens incidents.
    The Bengals, Bears and Titans have learned similar lessons with their miscreants recently.
    And now the NFL front office is considering a '3-strikes and you're out' rule, among other changes to player disciplinary action.

    Upgrading by taking free agents that aren't worth the downside risk just because they are available is ignorant because it IGNORES the players that will be available later in the draft and post-draft cuts.
    Rock on dude.

    Your posts are always worth the read, and I (and most of the rational around here) tend to appreciate a new guy that has some worthwhile insight.

    And I agree that there is no need to buy just to buy. Signing a malcontent just for the sake of signing someone would be a big mistake. It would be like buying a pair of shorts that don't fit, just because they were the last pair. Then you're stuck with your nutsack blowing in the wind.
    -Sno

  9. #19
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    "bigbadragz" wrote:
    look around the league and see how many teams go into the season without any proven commodities.
    OK, how about the titans?

    As Kevin Seifert of the Star-Tribune points out, the Vikings receivers on the roster have a total of 254 catches in their career, with Bobby Wade (101) and Troy Williamson (61) the only receivers with more than 50 catches in their careers.

    It could be worse though, Vikings fans. The Titans, another competitor for Curtis, have only one receiver on their current roster who has more than 50 career catches--and that's David Givens, who may miss most of the season after a severe knee injury.
    It looks to me like the Vikings are basically one good WR away.
    We have the #2 and slot positions filled, with some depth in both (albeit young and unproven).
    We will be able to bolster that at least a little (if not more) in the WR heavy draft.
    Our backfield has great hands (CT and Memo had some of the nfl's highest catch completions), and we added a TE who I am hoping can stretch the field a little more than Wiggy could.

    So that leaves us with a decent supporting cast, but no #1 WR.
    What do we do?
    Barring a mixture ofmiracles and luck, we won't be able to get CJ in the draft (the only WR who could come in as #1).
    I think the Raiders are going to take him anyway if the Moss deal goes through.
    That means we will need to pursue the trade option.
    There is still a lot of offseason left, so no reason to panic yet.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #20
    Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: Whos Left at WR

    "SnoBumMN" wrote:

    And I agree that there is no need to buy just to buy. Signing a malcontent just for the sake of signing someone would be a big mistake. It would be like buying a pair of shorts that don't fit, just because they were the last pair. Then you're stuck with your nutsack blowing in the wind.
    Unless its your moms money, or in this situation, the Vikings.
    If there is cap space I don't believe one or two year deals hurt anybody.
    Asumming you leave space for rookies, unexpected FA's, and of course prostitutes.
    But of course Vikes dont wanna do that since it is their money.

    Purplexing got a rebutle?
    :P


    All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Whos the best NFL Player ever?
    By thewilliamsbros_9394 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 04:36 AM
  2. MOVED: Whos the best NFL Player ever?
    By ultravikingfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2008, 09:13 PM
  3. whos gonna get more yardage
    By tgorsegner in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 08:20 PM
  4. whos jersey do you want?
    By DustinDupont in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 08:38 PM
  5. Whos to Blame
    By vikefan1969 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 12:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •