Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Who wouldn't want Vince Young

ME NEITHER!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

I dont want him...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"gpless05" wrote:
    to tell you the truth i dont think that vince carter will have that much success becuase he wont be able to convert his play from collage to the nfl
    :scratch: Vince Carter?.......Sgt. Vince Carter? :razz:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Us!

As with all highlight videos, they showcase "highlights" of the athlete...not the not so wonderful plays. Do not base your decision on a highlight video.

I am sure we could make a good highlight video of crappy players also...Bennett, Nap, or Tim Couch. But that does not mean we want them.

exactly!!! To answer your question: "I don't want Vince Young!!!" I think he is the most overatted QB in the draft!!! I bet most of the highlights people do look at are of the Rose Bowl!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

If we wanted a big dumb quarterback that can run and makes bad decisions we would have kept Daunte Culpepper. :shock:
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Don't want him. No more threads about Vince Young!!! Boooo!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

[size=18px]NFL Draft: Young positive he can wing it in NFL[/size]

QB confident he possesses NFL game

By CLARE FARNSWORTH
    P-I REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- Funky.

That's the word one NFL scout used to describe the throwing motion of University of Texas quarterback Vince Young.

Funky? That's passable when talking about the way someone dances, dresses or even smells. But when you're a quarterback hoping to be among the top three picks in next weekend's NFL draft, having someone dissect your delivery and produce that word could be taken as the ultimate insult.

Young, however, deflects such criticism the same way he sliced 'n' diced opposing defenses in leading the Longhorns to the national championship last season -- without breaking a sweat and while flashing the slightest hint of a smile.

"Sitting down with some of the coaches, hearing the different things they've been saying about my throwing motion, there's nothing really wrong with it," Young said at the NFL scouting combine.

"The media, that's who keeps talking about the throwing motion. There's nothing wrong with the throwing motion."

But it hasn't stopped the press from pressing the issue:

Do Young's mechanics need to be tinkered with?

"A lot of people talk about that," said Gary Kubiak, the rookie head coach of the Houston Texans and a former NFL quarterback. "Everybody throws the ball a little differently."

Is there a reason he will not be successful in the NFL?

"Absolutely not," Kubiak said. "I think he's going to be a great player."

With Kubiak, it's more about the end result than the delivery.

"The job he did at Texas and way he led that group tells you that he'll do it again," Kubiak said.

At times, especially in the national title game against USC, Young seemed to will the Longhorns to success as much as he led them.

"It's about results," Kubiak said. "If you're getting a result, you're probably not going to try to change a guy very much and let him do what he does."

Even if it does look, well, funky.

That's the dilemma Young presents. Teams might not want to draft him, but there's also the fear of not drafting him.

Like the Texans. They have David Carr, the quarterback who was the first pick overall in 2002, and are expected to use the top pick this year on USC running back Reggie Bush.

But by passing on Young, the Texans might have to face him twice a season for too many seasons if he goes to the division rival Tennessee Titans, who hold the third pick in the first round.

"Five years from now, Vince Young might be the player everybody talks about in this draft, even more so than Reggie Bush," said Rob Rang, an analyst for NFLDraftScout.com.

"But he could be the bust of the draft," Rang added.

Rang actually ranks Young as the third-best quarterback in the draft, behind Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler as well as the top-rated Matt Leinart of USC.

"It's more a combination of really liking Cutler and really being nervous about Young," Rang said.

Because of that throwing motion, which at times resembles a guy flicking darts. Rang is not alone.

Scott Linehan, the Rams' first-year head coach, supplies labels to the top of this year's QB class:

The proven guy -- Leinart, because he was 37-2 in three seasons as the starter at USC.

The phenom -- Young, because of the seemingly effortless way he plays the game and produces results.

The other guy -- Cutler, who, as Linehan put it, "was really off the map before he starts his career and, all of a sudden, he's the best quarterback in maybe the best conference in college football."

Linehan is from Sunnyside and was an assistant coach at the University of Washington and with the Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins before being hired by the Rams in January.

Which order these three will go in all depends on whom you ask. Just don't ask Young any more questions about that throwing motion.

"I guess because I'm doing everything that's supposed to be done ... everybody's looking for something negative," he said. "I just want to continue being a positive person."

DRAFT 2006: QUARTERBACKS

A summary of the position heading into the April 29-30 NFL draft:

Best of the bunch

Player, school Ht Wt Projection
    Matt Leinart, USC 6-4 224 Top 5, if not top 3 pick
    Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt 6-3 223 Possible Top 10 pick
    Vince Young, Texas 6-5 233 As high as No. 3
    Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson 6-5 223 Early 3rd round
    Brodie Croyle, Alabama 6-2 200 3rd round

(Rankings by Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com)

THE WORD: It's another in a seemingly endless series of either/or debates at this position: The more-polished Leinart? Or the more-athletic Young? What else is new? Last year, it was Alex Smith vs. Aaron Rodgers. In past drafts, it was Eli Manning vs. Phillip Rivers (2004); David Carr vs. Joey Harrington (2002); Peyton Manning vs. Ryan Leaf (1998); all the way back to Drew Bledsoe vs. Rick Mirer (1993), and beyond. Obviously, it does make a difference and this year that critical choice falls to the Tennessee Titans, who have the third pick overall and need a QB to replace Steve McNair.

SLEEPER: Kellen Clemens. His breakthrough 2005 season at Oregon lasted only eight starts before he broke his left ankle. He doesn't have a big arm, but Clemens flourished in the spread offense the Ducks used last season because it played to his strengths -- shorter throws, usually made while on the move.

WHAT ABOUT: Erik Meyer. All he did at Eastern Washington University last season was win the Walter Payton award as the top Division I-AA player in the nation, and set a I-AA record with a career passer rating of 169.3. Meyer will need time to develop at the NFL level, but he's an instinctive, durable player who is worth a second-day pick -- especially for a team that runs the West Coast offense.

-- Clare Farnsworth

Full Story: Young positive he can wing it in NFL

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

I wouldn't make an effort to get him.

Simply being athletic isn't enough to be a winner in the NFL. It may get you a shoe deal, a cereal box, and herpies, but it doesn't get you rings. If your the most athletic QB in college your gonna make some noise there but in the NFL the playing field levels out.

Prophet Guest

I definitely would cringe if he is signed on the team. Intellectually challenged and Ron Mexicoesqe-type QB is not what the Vikes need. They need a field general. I pray that Young falls far from the gates of Valhalla.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I wouldn't make an effort to get him.

Simply being athletic isn't enough to be a winner in the NFL. It may get you a shoe deal, a cereal box, and herpies, but it doesn't get you rings. If your the most athletic QB in college your gonna make some noise there but in the NFL the playing field levels out.
    Now why did you have to go and say that? Do you know how many are going to cry in their cereal after reading this post?

You have no heart.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast