Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Who Will The Vikings Draft?

I would say a safety that guy outta Miami I think Kenny Smith is the guys name I could be wrong. staring at the Top Mock 100 and Mock Drafts my head almost starts spinning.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

OK, so I'm rethinking this DT depth/future starter idea of yours Marr, and I'm realizing that particular position really benefits from a solid rotation to keep them fresh and mean.
    So, maybe, if DT is the BPA...imagine a bad mofo first rounder added to the rotation...might actually take care of our pass rush issues.
    I mean, collapse the pocket and the QB can't step up and all of a sudden our DEs are getting to the QB and looking a lot better...?

Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    OK, so I'm rethinking this DT depth/future starter idea of yours Marr, and I'm realizing that particular position really benefits from a solid rotation to keep them fresh and mean.
    So, maybe, if DT is the BPA...imagine a bad mofo first rounder added to the rotation...might actually take care of our pass rush issues.
    I mean, collapse the pocket and the QB can't step up and all of a sudden our DEs are getting to the QB and looking a lot better...?
    I arugued with Del over this very subject one time.
    He finally convinced me that our Pass Rush issues could be related to Phat Pats ability to collapse a pocket.

His theory was along the lines of that Pat is good against the run, but does he really get that much push up the middle, thereby flushing the QB to the DE's.

Of course he was right and I was wrong.
    I just don't ever bring it up anymore cause all I do is here crap about how dumb that is.
    To many Phat Pat/Kwill crotch sniffers on here because of how well they do against the run.

;D

We do need a better production from our RDE position but we also need some of that pressure you are talking about.

Why was Eli able to make passes against the PUKERS?
    They couldn't get pressure up the middle.
    All he had to do was step up.
    Makes sense when you think about that aspect of the game.

Truth be told, most young QBs (Hell the older Vets as well) will always struggle if you get pressure on them up the middle.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    He finally convinced me that our Pass Rush issues could be related to Phat Pats ability to collapse a pocket.

His theory was along the lines of that Pat is good against the run, but does he really get that much push up the middle, thereby flushing the QB to the DE's.

I just don't ever bring it up anymore cause all I do is here crap about how dumb that is.
    To many Phat Pat/Kwill crotch sniffers on here because of how well they do against the run.
    ;D

We do need a better production from our RDE position but we also need some of that pressure you are talking about.

Truth be told, most young QBs (Hell the older Vets as well) will always struggle if you get pressure on them up the middle.
    I'm not soo sure about your comment... i think they should probably play phat pat a little more in pass situations... because he does require a double team and therefore our d-end may be freed up a little...

but your wrong in the fact that phat pat isn't good against the pass and that is our problem... they take pat out in pass situations and replace him with Spence or evans... so that statement isn't really accurate...

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

;D

I'm not soo sure about your comment... i think they should probably play phat pat a little more in pass situations... because he does require a double team and therefore our d-end may be freed up a little...

but your wrong in the fact that phat pat isn't good against the pass and that is our problem... they take pat out in pass situations and replace him with Spence or evans... so that statement isn't really accurate...
    You didn't read my comments correctly.
    You will see that I tried to make the same argument you are trying to make with me with Del in the past who knew a hell of alot more about playing the game than I do.
    At the end of the discussion I was convinced of that.

;D

Del brought out a few points in that discussion that showed why I (you and I) were wrong but the biggest one was that when Pat is in there most teams know that we are in more of a "Stop the Run" mode and when we tak him out and put Spence in we are in a "Pass Rush" mode.
    By doing that it gives the Opposing offense a key allowing for them to switch out between run/pass based on if Pat was in there or not.

Kindof the same thing we say with AD this year.
    When he was in there the D normally keyed on run, but when he came out they could key on Pass a bit more.

In the NFL you never want to be predictable my friend, and Phat Pats inability to collapse the pocket in passing situations is a detractor not a plus.
    If he could not only draw a double team and then collapse the pocket then we would be in business and your (our) argument would stand.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

;D

You didn't read my comments correctly.
    You will see that I tried to make the same argument you are trying to make with me with Del in the past who knew a hell of alot more about playing the game than I do.
    At the end of the discussion I was convinced of that.
    ;D

Del brought out a few points in that discussion that showed why I (you and I) were wrong but the biggest one was that when Pat is in there most teams know that we are in more of a "Stop the Run" mode and when we tak him out and put Spence in we are in a "Pass Rush" mode.
    By doing that it gives the Opposing offense a key allowing for them to switch out between run/pass based on if Pat was in there or not.

Kindof the same thing we say with AD this year.
    When he was in there the D normally keyed on run, but when he came out they could key on Pass a bit more.

In the NFL you never want to be predictable my friend, and Phat Pats inability to collapse the pocket in passing situations is a detractor not a plus.
    If he could not only draw a double team and then collapse the pocket then we would be in business and your (our) argument would stand.
    OK, i got you.. i guess i did read that wrong... seriously though, i think they should try and play him on more passing downs to see if he can collapse the pocket... but they just take him right out.. it doesn't really make sense how a guy can be so good at penetrating gaps and stuffing the run getting tfl's and then they take him out on passing situations.. if they can't handle the guy, they can't handle him and he'd (in his words) bust'em up, eat them for breakfast.. yadda yadda yadda...

I think they should try it... it might actually work... or.. do like the giants did and play three DE's..

i just dont understand if things aren't working, try something different to see if you have success... atleast it'd make the offense think twice about something...

i was watching a movie yesterday and a dude said something like this...

the best thing to do is the right thing..

The next best thing to do is the wrong thing...

but the worst thing to do is nothing...

i kinda feel like we did that alot this year with respect to trying to make adjustments between and during games... IMHHHHHO....

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    OK, i got you.. i guess i did read that wrong... seriously though, i think they should try and play him on more passing downs to see if he can collapse the pocket... but they just take him right out.. it doesn't really make sense how a guy can be so good at penetrating gaps and stuffing the run getting tfl's and then they take him out on passing situations.. if they can't handle the guy, they can't handle him and he'd (in his words) bust'em up, eat them for breakfast.. yadda yadda yadda...

I think they should try it... it might actually work... or.. do like the giants did and play three DE's..

i just dont understand if things aren't working, try something different to see if you have success... atleast it'd make the offense think twice about something...

i kinda feel like we did that alot this year with respect to trying to make adjustments between and during games... IMHHHHHO....
    Well to tell the truth I saw them with 3 DE's in several time this year.
    One of those were like this...

RDE Edwards
    RDT Kevin
    LDT Keneche (Spencer)
    LDE Robison

Puts speed on the ends and still gets you a LDE kindof guy (Run stopper/Pass Rusher) in the middle.

I also saw them leave Phat Pat in several times and at least 5 times he dropped back into coverage in the zone vacated by the weakside LB who blitzed.

By the way, most casual fans thought that was crazy/stupid play but it isn't that uncommon in a Zone Blitz type of package.
    ;D

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:

RDE Edwards
    RDT Kevin
    LDT Keneche (Spencer)
    LDE Robison

Puts speed on the ends and still gets you a LDE kindof guy (Run stopper/Pass Rusher) in the middle.

I also saw them leave Phat Pat in several times and at least 5 times he dropped back into coverage in the zone vacated by the weakside LB who blitzed.

By the way, most casual fans thought that was crazy/stupid play but it isn't that uncommon in a Zone Blitz type of package.
    ;D
    Brian Robison played Sam linebacker on Udeze's Int. Again a zone blitz.

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:

RDE Edwards
    RDT Kevin
    LDT Keneche (Spencer)
    LDE Robison

;D
    Brian Robison played Sam linebacker on Udeze's Int. Again a zone blitz.
    Good one.
    I forgot about that one.
    Leslie did threw alot of stuff out there this year didn't he.
    Gonna be fun to see what he comes up with next year.

Guys will be more mature, hopefully a Vet will be in at RDE, etc etc etc.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:

RDE Edwards
    RDT Kevin
    LDT Keneche (Spencer)
    LDE Robison

;D
    I understand that.. but pat needs to be rushing the passer.. you can't block him one on one with a center.. we should keep him in there more often... IMO

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast