Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Who Will The Vikings Draft?

"PurpleTide" wrote:

I agree Marrdro, we will select a Safety with our first pick, and address the WR, and RDE posistions in FA.
    We still might draft a WR and DE someplace in the draft but probably not that high.

I am still mucking about but it looks like there might be a couple of WR's/DE's that should be available at the 4th pick and 5th picks.

Jordy Neslson.
    WR.
    He has done some real good stuff this week at the SB.
    He might move up a bit.
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=12364

Kendall Langford. DE.
    He has done some good stuff as well and his stock appears to be rising but he is currently a 4/5th round pick.
    http://nfldraftwatch.wordpress.com/2...dall-langford/
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Marr... i still don't in any way how you or anybody else could say we select a DT in the 2nd round???
    that's just ridiculous!!!

I understand your rationale, and agree with it for the most part.. but we're set at DT and adding a 2nd rounder to our best position on the team is crazy... We have the best tandem in the league, with a very good back-up in Spencer Johnson... we don't need to use our 2nd pick on a DT... There are wwaaaaayyy more pressing needs then adding depth to a position were set at...

Even if GOD FORBID one of them got hurt, if we sign Spence back we're still set!

Even if we picked up the top WR, DE and Safety in FA, i still don't see us selecting one that high..(ok, maybe i'm exaggerating a little... ok, a little), but you get the idea...

drafting a DT in the 2nd round would be equivalent of the pats taking a QB in the second round... just for the heck of it, bc they haven't taken a Qb in awhile.. it makes no sense...

I could see if they had injuries, or something.. but why invest 2nd rd pick money in a guy who won't start for the next 3 years...
    it doesn't make sense...

The highest i see us taking a Dt would be 4th round max.. maybe 5th.. no way before then...

and to comment on the DE position.. i understand we've drafted DE the last few years.. but there's 2 things to look at there..

1. The current triangle of authority regimine didn't draft those two DE's so they're not as closely tied to them as a regimine that did.. so they're not necessarily the one that looks like idiots for the pick

2. DE is one of the positions on the field with a super high learning curve... probably has one of the smallest learning curves to be good....

so when you take that into equation and the fact that it's one of our most glaring needs, I in no way think we can look at DT with a 2nd pick and wouldn't rule out taking one within the top 3 picks..

of course all this depends on what we do in FA.... and if someone projected to go extremely high is still on the board when we select... that's the only way you take a guy in a position you don't need... i.e. AP

We sign Spence.. and all that is put to rest... now if we don't resign spence.. which would be a huge mistake.. then maybe we take one with a 2nd or one of our 3rd picks...
    that's the only way really...

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    Marr... i still don't in any way how you or anybody else could say we select a DT in the 2nd round???

I understand your rationale, and agree with it for the most part.. but we're set at DT and adding a 2nd rounder to our best position on the team is crazy... We have the best tandem in the league, with a very good back-up in Spencer Johnson... we don't need to use our 2nd pick on a DT... There are wwaaaaayyy more pressing needs then adding depth to a position were set at...

Even if GOD FORBID one of them got hurt, if we sign Spence back we're still set!

Even if we picked up the top WR, DE and Safety in FA, i still don't see us selecting one that high..(ok, maybe i'm exaggerating a little... ok, a little), but you get the idea...

drafting a DT in the 2nd round would be equivalent of the pats taking a QB in the second round... just for the heck of it, bc they haven't taken a Qb in awhile.. it makes no sense...

I could see if they had injuries, or something.. but why invest 2nd rd pick money in a guy who won't start for the next 3 years...
    it doesn't make sense...

The highest i see us taking a Dt would be 4th round max.. maybe 5th.. no way before then...

and to comment on the DE position.. i understand we've drafted DE the last few years.. but there's 2 things to look at there..

1. The current triangle of authority regimine didn't draft those two DE's so they're not as closely tied to them as a regimine that did.. so they're not necessarily the one that looks like idiots for the pick

2. DE is one of the positions on the field with a super high learning curve... probably has one of the smallest learning curves to be good....

so when you take that into equation and the fact that it's one of our most glaring needs, I in no way think we can look at DT with a 2nd pick and wouldn't rule out taking one within the top 3 picks..

of course all this depends on what we do in FA.... and if someone projected to go extremely high is still on the board when we select... that's the only way you take a guy in a position you don't need... i.e. AP

We sign Spence.. and all that is put to rest... now if we don't resign spence.. which would be a huge mistake.. then maybe we take one with a 2nd or one of our 3rd picks...

Don't forget about Fred Evans either. He is a young DT with some potential.

"bleedpurple" wrote:

it doesn't make sense...

I hear all your points and agree with you to a point and you could be right and I am wrong but that just isn't how teams approach the draft.

Think of it this way.....

The staff has drafted well in the past two years as well as signed key FA's to fill holes were the draftees weren't gonna be ready or they didn't have draftees in place to groome during this process.

Now we are pretty set at almost every position with the exception of a couple DE/WR. The right way to address those positions and be competitive next year is to use the FA avenue to plug those holes.

With the exception of probably the first pick, the Vikes will be drafting for depth and future stars and not instant impact players.
    In a normal world were an established scheme/system was in place for years that would be the plan by the staff.
    Take the Best Player Available (BPA) no matter what player was starting in front of him.

That is the rationale behind taking a DT or any player in this years draft, you can't look at it that we are set at those positions and have good players.
    Sure Phat Pat is good but for how much longer?
    Do you really think he will see the end of his contract, and if he does, will he be as productive as he is now at the end of it?

I don't thinks so.
    And that is why I am so convinced this staff won't let us ever get a point were we worry about players leaving.
    Someone will be waiting in the wings to step in and fill his role.

I really believe that because we have some pretty good talent on the field now the staff will be looking to draft for the future after round 1 and won't be looking for those guys to do anything but learn behind already proven players.

With that thought in mind, were are we set at positions but those positions are getting a bit long in the tooth or our starter at that position doesn't have a long term contract.....

a.
    DT
    b.
    FB
    c.
    S
    etc etc.

We have youth at WR, DE, QB, TE that seem to be a pretty decent group that still needs to be developed.
    Why add more projects to that mix.
    Again, you don't, you add a vet or two here and there to compliment them, fill holes.

I know its a hard concept to grasp, but it is why your draft picks are so important.
    They are the guys that will be there for 4 years or so, learning behind a Vet, adding depth as a rotation guy and then, stepping in when the situation dictates.

By the way, I agree, with your point about previous drafts and looking like idiots.

I don't think this staff puts any credance to what anyone would think about them for drafting another DE high.
    In fact if for some reason one of the Stud DE were to drop to them at 17 they would probably snatch him up, as they did with AD last year, but that won't happen this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Don't forget about Fred Evans either. He is a young DT with some potential.
    I actually like the pickup last year, and he is a good rotation kindof player but you still have to wonder about his off the field issues.

Again, I am looking at a kid that will be developed to step in around 2010 and replace the guy/guys on the roster.

Future my friends, the future.
    It is not wise to stand pat with your roster year after year just because a guy is good.
    If you do that, then when he isn't good your only process is to draft a guy and suffer through his learning curve or go and get a Vet.

Neither are the right way to do things.

The right way is to draft a guy now and develop him.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:

it doesn't make sense...

I hear all your points and agree with you to a point and you could be right and I am wrong but that just isn't how teams approach the draft.

The staff has drafted well in the past two years as well as signed key FA's to fill holes were the draftees weren't gonna be ready or they didn't have draftees in place to groome during this process.

Now we are pretty set at almost every position with the exception of a couple DE/WR. The right way to address those positions and be competitive next year is to use the FA avenue to plug those holes.

With the exception of probably the first pick, the Vikes will be drafting for depth and future stars and not instant impact players.
    In a normal world were an established scheme/system was in place for years that would be the plan by the staff.
    Take the Best Player Available (BPA) no matter what player was starting in front of him.

That is the rationale behind taking a DT or any player in this years draft, you can't look at it that we are set at those positions and have good players.
    Do you really think he will see the end of his contract, and if he does, will he be as productive as he is now at the end of it?

I don't thinks so.
    And that is why I am so convinced this staff won't let us ever get a point were we worry about players leaving.

I really believe that because we have some pretty good talent on the field now the staff will be looking to draft for the future after round 1 and won't be looking for those guys to do anything but learn behind already proven players.

With that thought in mind, were are we set at positions but those positions are getting a bit long in the tooth or our starter at that position doesn't have a long term contract.....

a.
    DT
    b.
    FB
    c.
    S
    etc etc.

We have youth at WR, DE, QB, TE that seem to be a pretty decent group that still needs to be developed.
    Again, you don't, you add a vet or two here and there to compliment them, fill holes.

I know its a hard concept to grasp, but it is why your draft picks are so important.
    They are the guys that will be there for 4 years or so, learning behind a Vet, adding depth as a rotation guy and then, stepping in when the situation dictates.

By the way, I agree, with your point about previous drafts and looking like idiots.

I don't think this staff puts any credance to what anyone would think about them for drafting another DE high.
    In fact if for some reason one of the Stud DE were to drop to them at 17 they would probably snatch him up, as they did with AD last year, but that won't happen this year.
    I completely agree with you... but just not in the 2nd round.. that's all i'm saying... 3rd - 4th maybe.. but not second.. i think unless your a playoff team.. you draft for starters on the first day...

those are the guys you expect to come in and make an immediate impact...

Now, like we said... If we do get a Legit DE and a WR in free agency and possibly a back-up/Starting QB... '

Then I wouldn't mind doing that... but the thing is.. we have depth at DT thats why i don't see it happening...

We have Kwill, Phat Pat, Fred Evans and Spence (UFA)... we sign Spence back... who could start for quite a few teams then we have all the depth we need...

However if we let him go... then we probably will go DT....in the 3rd..

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    While I agree with most of what you are posting, I don't think we have youth at TE that still needs to be developed... Shank has been in for a few years (and isn't working out nearly the way we would like), the Sauce has been in for 10, and Garrett Mills is practice squad fodder.

I also think that the players available at the 17th pick will dictate a lot in who we take.
    If Kenny Phillips is there, then we will definately pick him up.
    But if he isn't there, then we identify what players are available, and what kind of impact they can bring to our team.
    Given that view, it wouldn't surprise me to see use pick up Fred Davis or Derrick Harvey.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    While I agree with most of what you are posting, I don't think we have youth at TE that still needs to be developed... Shank has been in for a few years (and isn't working out nearly the way we would like), the Sauce has been in for 10, and Garrett Mills is practice squad fodder.

I also think that the players available at the 17th pick will dictate a lot in who we take.
    If Kenny Phillips is there, then we will definately pick him up.
    But if he isn't there, then we identify what players are available, and what kind of impact they can bring to our team.
    Given that view, it wouldn't surprise me to see use pick up Fred Davis or Derrick Harvey.
    Good point on the TE's.
    For some reason I keep thinking Shank is younger than he is.
    Seems like a pretty deep class with respect to TE's.

Anyway, now I gotta go revist that damn position again.
    Thanks alot.
    ;D

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Man, did that 2005 draft suck for us or what?
    Dang!!
    Here's to looking a lot better since then!
    I do feel like our current management has been studying the Patsies...hiring reasonable vet FAs, building through the draft, and always, always looking to the future, and long term success, not hiring the big expensive guns you can't afford to keep in a year or two or three...

I'd like to see us keep Spencer, but theres a good chance he gets a shot at starting somewhere, and if he does, you know he'll want it.
    Fred Evens is a good backup for now, and might be better down the road, but we will most likely need another guy in the DT rotation.

I don't see the fit with Groves or Harvey.
    They both seem better suited for the tweener spot, or OLB in a 3-4.
    Harvey only had 2 sacks last year?
    Not according to http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/derrickharvey.html
    says, 8.5 sacks in 07 here.
    But anyway, We've already got a guy in that weight/speed ratio with a year's experience...Brian Robison.
    It doesn't really look like Long or Gholston will fall to us at 17, so even though DE is a faster learning curve, and could possibly contribute right away, I'm not thinking that's our pick.
    Between James, Edwards, and Robison, we might already have that RDE anyway.

DeSean Jackson is definitely intriguing with his return ability, and he does seem to have decent hands, but that slight, 170 lb frame makes me nervous.
    How many hits can he take from 200 to 220 lb Safeties?
    The combo of our young QB and the WCO leaning toward short passes tells me he would get pummeled.
    I'd rather see one of the bigger guys, with Malcolm Kelly currently topping my list.

It might seem better to some, to trade the first round pick for a vet QB than draft another with "potential," but the fact is, the pickings are slim, and just a first might not do it anyway.
    At one point the Eagles said they wanted two firsts for McNabb, and the Browns have already proclaimed they want Anderson to remain their starter in 2008.
    If we can't find a better vet backup in FA, we might have to draft one somewhere along the way, just to improve our depth.
    Lucky for us, this draft is full of them, and we can probably get a guy who will give TJack some competition in a later round.

I like the point of a serious pass threat TE taking a LB and/or S away from the box, but I don't feel like Shank got much of a chance last year, since he was busy blocking at the LOS on most plays.
    I'm not seeing that position addressed in the first.

As far as needs, that pretty much brings us to Safety (unless they decide the Ryan Cook experiment is over-which was a current team pick...?).
    Unfortunately, I think there are several teams ahead of us who will also be looking at that position.
    Jets, Pats, Bengals, Saints, Broncos, Panthers, Lions, and Cards could all be looking for some young talent in their secondary.
    Of course, many of them have other, bigger needs, hopefully, one of the top three guys will still be available at 17.

Overall, looks like it will be a BPA pick.
    I'm hoping for S or WR.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:

it doesn't make sense...

I don't thinks so.

a.
    DT
    b.
    FB
    c.
    S
    etc etc.

I completely agree with you... but just not in the 2nd round.. that's all i'm saying... 3rd - 4th maybe.. but not second.. i think unless your a playoff team.. you draft for starters on the first day...

those are the guys you expect to come in and make an immediate impact...

Now, like we said... If we do get a Legit DE and a WR in free agency and possibly a back-up/Starting QB... '

Then I wouldn't mind doing that... but the thing is.. we have depth at DT thats why i don't see it happening...

We have Kwill, Phat Pat, Fred Evans and Spence (UFA)... we sign Spence back... who could start for quite a few teams then we have all the depth we need...

However if we let him go... then we probably will go DT....in the 3rd..
    Yea, second/third/fourth, I agree.
    My point is more geared around the fact that we are drafting for the future this year vice having to actually rely on rookie to start.

The reason I have them taking a guy in the 2nd is more related to what the other teams will be doing around us and who I currently have available there.
    When, if I get finished with my mock you will see how the guys go off the board which might help clarify some of my "Murky" thoughts.

By the way, I like Spencer but if you look at him, 6-3 286ish, he really isn't my ideal guy I want in there stuffing the run.

As with Safety, I really feel we have an issue at DT with respect to depth/future.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast