Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Who Will The Vikings Draft?

[size=13pt]Who Will The Vikings Draft?[/size]
    Reported by: Phil Mackey

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Who Will The Vikings Draft?

Phil MacKay is usually pretty good but I still think the Vikes won't add a defensive end nor a WR in the first round.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Judging by the list there the consensus seems to be either DE Derrick Harvey or WR DeSean Jackson. Will be interesting to see how far this changes up to and including Draft Day
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Judging by the list there the consensus seems to be either DE Derrick Harvey or WR DeSean Jackson. Will be interesting to see how far this changes up to and including Draft Day
    Yeah, he's just listing these mocks. I bet there will be a lot of chances when we get to see a bit more of these talents over the coming months.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I have said this a few times now... I wouldn't mind seeing us trade down into the last third of the first round and pick up Fred Davis.
    His stock is rising, and a good combine could easily push him into the first round.

Seriously, he is a WR converted into a TE.
    He has a LOT of speed and good hands.
    The only negative I have seen on him is his route running - he relies on his speed too much.
    That can be fixed.
    Also, I don't think he is the strongest run blocker, but again, we already have TEs for that role...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I have said this a few times now... I wouldn't mind seeing us trade down into the last third of the first round and pick up Fred Davis.
    His stock is rising, and a good combine could easily push him into the first round.

Seriously, he is a WR converted into a TE.
    He has a LOT of speed and good hands.
    The only negative I have seen on him is his route running - he relies on his speed too much.
    That can be fixed.
    Also, I don't think he is the strongest run blocker, but again, we already have TEs for that role...
    i've also thought about Fred Davis too.... i wouldn't necessarily mind him at #17.. but then again.. we have more pressing needs and we gave all that money to Shank... but i wouldn't be mad if it happened... just don't really see it happening... UNLESS, we pick up a DE and WR in Free agency.. which very might well happen...

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

I agree with the Fred Davis pick.
    To me a good pass catching tight end will help our run game more then any reciever will.
    The tight end gets covered by either a linebacker or a safety, which in turn takes them out of the box.
    And if the tight end turns out to be great he will have a linebacker and a safety covering him.

I hope we adress DE and WR in free agency then pick Fred Davis with our first round pick.
    Some people might say he isnt worth a first round pick but i disagree, if he helps our team then he is worth the overall number one pick to me.

"PackSux!" wrote:
    I agree with the Fred Davis pick.
    To me a good pass catching tight end will help our run game more then any reciever will.
    The tight end gets covered by either a linebacker or a safety, which in turn takes them out of the box.
    And if the tight end turns out to be great he will have a linebacker and a safety covering him.

I hope we adress DE and WR in free agency then pick Fred Davis with our first round pick.
    Some people might say he isnt worth a first round pick but i disagree, if he helps our team then he is worth the overall number one pick to me.
    While I don't think that Fred Davis is #17 overall material......we did take Troy Williamson #7 overall and he hasn't done much of anything.
    So if Fred could at least catch the ball, that'd be an upgrade over TW right there.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I'm gonna keep getting on this soap box (you guys/gals know I love doing that) but when you try to figure out who/what they will draft you have to take in several things.

How much have they invested in that postion already.
    When was the last time they addressed that position.
    What is the status of the players at that position
    Is the Investment via picks or FA.

Lets take DE for instance.
    Everyone agrees that we have a huge need at the RDE position.
    Now look at the questions.
    The staff has invested heavily the past 3 years at this position in the draft.
    That equates to alot of youth at that position that still needs to be developed or isn't going to develop.

The status is that one of the draft picks, and a pretty damn high one at that, isn't producing because of injury.

This leads me to believe that they will use the following plan to address thier DE issues on the right side.

a. Go after a mid level to top level FA in 2008 to shore the position up.
    b. Continue to develop thier younger talent.
    c. Re-address again in 2009 draft if needed or take one in the later rounds.

Again, it just doesn't make sense to keep adding youth to a problem that is mainly an issue because of youth.

For that matter they might decide to go with what they have and not do anything but I really don't believe they will use one of thier top 3 or 4 picks on DE.
    Truth be told, I think they will follow that same rationale with respect to WR, TE, LB and QB in this round.

As I said in another thread.....
    The first 3 picks will
    be.

S
    Possibly could loose 3 of the 5 safeties currently on the roster.
    DT
    Pretty good here but need some depth as well as looking to the future.
    FB
    T-rich might not be coming back or if he does it will probably be only a year contract.
    Time to draft a real FB vice trying to plug TE's into that role.

Here is a look at thier last 3 drafts.
    Using my rationale, you can see that they have invested heavily into a few positions the last 3 years.
    Were they still have holes after investing so heavily (WR, DE) I look to see them use FA to fix those problems because of poor draft selections.

Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma
    Sidney Rice WR South Carolina
    Marcus McCauley CB Fresno State
    Brian Robison DE Texas
    Aundrae Allison WR East Carolina
    Rufus Alexander OLB Oklahoma
    Tyler Thigpen QB Coastal Carolina University
    Chandler Williams WR Florida International Univ

1 Chad Greenway OLB Iowa

2 Cedric Griffin CB Texas

2 Ryan Cook OL New Mexico

2 Tarvaris Jackson QB
    Alabama State

4 Ray Edwards DE Purdue

5 Greg Blue S Georgia

1 Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

1 Erasmus James DE Wisconsin

2 Marcus Johnson OL Mississippi

3 Dustin Fox S Ohio State

4 Ciatrick Fason RB Florida

6 C.J. Mosley OL Missouri

7 Adrian Ward Texas-El Paso

Key note:
    A poor draft selection hurts the team for years.
    Poor drafting in 2005, 2004 and 2003 are the reason this team is bad at most of our playmaker positions.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I agree Marrdro, we will select a Safety with our first pick, and address the WR, and RDE posistions in FA.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast