umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Who will start for the Vikings in 2006?

The probability of Culpepper starting in 2006 are slim.......Johnson wants to start but will the Vikings show him the money?......Will the Vikings draft a QB ala Jay Cutler......free agents?

Thoughts?

Prophet Guest

Re: Who will start for the Vikings in 2006?

There are about 50 threads with this discussion.

I'll go with Johnson starting and Culpepper coming in during week 6 with a veteran free agent being signed around week 4.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    There are about 50 threads with this discussion.

I'll go with Johnson starting and Culpepper coming in during week 6 with a veteran free agent being signed around week 4.

I don't see Daunte being ready until into the season either, but I wonder what will happen if Brad is doing OK as our starter. Would Childress take out Brad and put Daunte in if we are winning? I doubt that, and then I could see Daunte getting upset about that and causing some trouble for us.

We also can't forget that Daunte needs to learn a whole new offensive system, before he is ready to start, and that is hard to do when you can't practice or play.

KY Vike is offline Starter

Culpepper. Will definetly not play as bad as last year but it will take till probably week 6 where he starts to really feel it and comes to his normal form.
    2 Most Favorite Things:
    1) Minnesota Vikings
    2) Kentucky Basketball. Yeah Baby!

Prophet Guest

He will be present during the mini-camps and at a minimum be doing walk-throughs or watching. He won't be cold by the time he's ready to start.

I mentioned picking up the veteran around week 4 because if Culpepper comes back into the mix and BJ is doing fine he may walk.

A lot of speculation here, the situation will probably change a few times before the season starts.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    He will be present during the mini-camps and at a minimum be doing walk-throughs or watching. He won't be cold by the time he's ready to start.

I mentioned picking up the veteran around week 4 because if Culpepper comes back into the mix and BJ is doing fine he may walk.

A lot of speculation here, the situation will probably change a few times before the season starts.

According to Steve Young, the WCO is a system that takes 2-3 years to learn. I don't see being at practices or doing walk throughs as helping learn the offense all that much, to be honest. You have to be playing and practicing in it, and reading D's and reacting, to really start to learn and understand the system.

It is really this reason why I haven't been totally against trading Daunte, if that were to happen. Not saying I'm for it, just not totally against it either. It isn't an offense that is quickly learned, so I really don't see Daunte being completely ready to start, for another year(after he has gone through a full camp in the system).

And lets not forget how serious his injury is. We don't know what to expect from him when he returns. Will he be afraid to run with the ball or be afraid to get hit? Will he be able to read D's and be a good WCO? I mean that has probably been the biggest knock on Daunte, is his ability to read a D.

To me there are a lot of question marks still on the guy and while I am not calling for him to be traded, I wouldn't see it as a horrible move, considering the question marks on the guy and the money he is gonna be due.

One thing is forsure, like last off-season, it should be another exciting one. :grin:

Tanner_QBRB8 is offline Pro-Bowler

I think Johnson will start just becasue Daunte will not be ready yet but if Daunte is ok then i am saying Daunte will definetly get the start

VA_VikingsFan is offline Training Camp

I don't see Daunte being ready until into the season either, but I wonder what will happen if Brad is doing OK as our starter. Would Childress take out Brad and put Daunte in if we are winning? I doubt that, and then I could see Daunte getting upset about that and causing some trouble for us.

We also can't forget that Daunte needs to learn a whole new offensive system, before he is ready to start, and that is hard to do when you can't practice or play.
    I agree 100% with you here. You stole the words right out of my mouth :smile:

I won't envy Childress whatsoever when it comes time to make this decision. He could easily offend Culpepper with one move & offend BJ with another. (Especially if BJ starts & has us on a W streak) I have faith in our new head coach though, and I think when it comes time to make this call -- he'll make the right decision for the team as a whole.

It's going to be really tricky getting Culpepper to learn the offensive strategy without having actually been able to play in the scenario.