Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Whizzinator cut.

screw this guy

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

CFL club decides Onterrio won't make it in ManitobaLast update: June 10, 2006 – 11:39 PM

Onterrio Smith was hoping to revive his career with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League. He didn't even make it out of training camp.

Onterrio Smith was hoping to revive his career with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League. He didn't even make it out of training camp.
    The former Vikings running back was cut by the Blue Bombers on Saturday as the team trimmed its roster to the 42-man limit, which must include 20 Canadians, 19 imports and three quarterbacks.

Smith, 25, signed a one-year contract with Winnipeg last month following his release by the Vikings on April 26. He didn't play in the NFL last season after being suspended for the 2005 season following a fourth violation of the league's substance abuse policy. Smith isn't eligible for reinstatement by the NFL until October.

Smith, whose contract was worth about $65,000 Canadian (about $58,700 U.S.) in base salary, said he was 245 pounds when he arrived at camp. That was at least 20 pounds over his playing weight. Smith injured a foot shortly into his first practice with the Blue Bombers and was unable to play in the first preseason game.

He saw action at running back in the second half of Thursday's exhibition against Montreal, but lost a fumble after gaining 6 yards on his first carry. His only other carry resulted in a 1-yard gain. Smith also was on the kickoff return team in the 30-15 loss but did not touch the ball.

"There really wasn't much of a decision for me," Winnipeg coach Doug Berry told the Winnipeg Free Press. "I mean, I didn't have an opportunity to see him much. For me, it was unfortunate that he came in here No. 1, out of shape and, No. 2, that he was injured right away. We were just not able to give him a thorough evaluation."

Judd Zulgad
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/485631.html
    [hr]

Unreal, 245 POUNDS!!! WTF is he thinking, I really thought the suspension would give him some time to think sh*t over, i guess all he did was sit around, what a waste of talent.

howkings is offline Rookie

When you get a second chance and show up 25 lbs. overweight I'm thinking you're not taking things seriously. I don't know if he deserves a third chance. What a waste of talent.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"olson_10" wrote:
    hes signing with a new cfl team and going for over 1000 yards..id put that right next to my name in permanent marker..the coach here gave him 2 carries to prove what he has, what kind of a chance is that? just awful on the winnipeg blue bombers part..bombers also cut the best qb on the roster too in favor of two turnover machines and a some journeyman bum from the nfl..they also decided to have their terribly inconsistent kicker pull double duty with punting this season (something he has been disgraceful at doing over the last couple years)..this team is a disgrace
    I bet he doesn't. If the guy showed up in shape he wouldn't have been injured and he would have had the opportunity to prove himself. Fumbling on your first carry does not merit more carries either. The CFL is a professional league, not some make a wish foundation. If a player isn't helping oyu on the field he doesn't play or make the team, 'nuff said.

Charles Roberts is a better RB than Onterrio anyway, especially in the CFL.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    hes signing with a new cfl team and going for over 1000 yards..id put that right next to my name in permanent marker..the coach here gave him 2 carries to prove what he has, what kind of a chance is that? just awful on the winnipeg blue bombers part..bombers also cut the best qb on the roster too in favor of two turnover machines and a some journeyman bum from the nfl..they also decided to have their terribly inconsistent kicker pull double duty with punting this season (something he has been disgraceful at doing over the last couple years)..this team is a disgrace
    I bet he doesn't. If the guy showed up in shape he wouldn't have been injured and he would have had the opportunity to prove himself. Fumbling on your first carry does not merit more carries either. The CFL is a professional league, not some make a wish foundation. If a player isn't helping oyu on the field he doesn't play or make the team, 'nuff said.

they never signed him to replace roberts, they signed him to replace keith stokes..now you cant possibly say stokes is better than onterrio..the fact that childs came in and had one good game, and no carries in his second game doesnt prove anything at all..2 carries for 7 yards when roberts had 4 carries for 11 yards doesnt seem too fair to say that roberts is automatically the better runner..onterrio smith has better open field speed, roberts is a guy that gets caught 20 yards down the field by defensive linemen..you dont let talent like that walk away if youre a cfl team who has been losing money year after year due to not being able to fill the stadium unless its against the riders..stupid move, and if he doesnt wind up on the practice squad here, he will have great success somewhere else, where another team will be willing to give him as fair of a shot as the other backs on the roster..joffrey reynolds had 7 runs for 12 yards, but is obviously the starting RB for calgary based on what he has shown he can do in the NFL and CFL..you cant judge preseason stats, you have to look at how good the guy can be when hes on his game, and onterrio wouldve all but guarenteed the bombers one of the top offenses in canadian football
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"howkings" wrote:
    When you get a second chance and show up 25 lbs. overweight I'm thinking you're not taking things seriously. I don't know if he deserves a third chance. What a waste of talent.

That's what happens when you have the munchies all the time! :lol:

"olson_10" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:

they never signed him to replace roberts, they signed him to replace keith stokes..now you cant possibly say stokes is better than onterrio..the fact that childs came in and had one good game, and no carries in his second game doesnt prove anything at all..2 carries for 7 yards when roberts had 4 carries for 11 yards doesnt seem too fair to say that roberts is automatically the better runner..onterrio smith has better open field speed, roberts is a guy that gets caught 20 yards down the field by defensive linemen..you dont let talent like that walk away if youre a cfl team who has been losing money year after year due to not being able to fill the stadium unless its against the riders..stupid move, and if he doesnt wind up on the practice squad here, he will have great success somewhere else, where another team will be willing to give him as fair of a shot as the other backs on the roster
    Stokes was better at what he did than Onterrio would be. Stokes is a great kick returner, Onterrio is not. Stokes also played WR, which would be way out of Onterrio's skill set. The fact that Onterrio is talented isn't enough for him to make a roster is any league in any sport. The guy has to work hard, which he has not done. The guy has to be a mature adult, which he has not done. And above all the guy has to be serious about winning, which he has not been.

Sorry but Onterrio carries too much baggage to keep on your roster despite struggles in camp and on the field.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:

they never signed him to replace roberts, they signed him to replace keith stokes..now you cant possibly say stokes is better than onterrio..the fact that childs came in and had one good game, and no carries in his second game doesnt prove anything at all..2 carries for 7 yards when roberts had 4 carries for 11 yards doesnt seem too fair to say that roberts is automatically the better runner..onterrio smith has better open field speed, roberts is a guy that gets caught 20 yards down the field by defensive linemen..you dont let talent like that walk away if youre a cfl team who has been losing money year after year due to not being able to fill the stadium unless its against the riders..stupid move, and if he doesnt wind up on the practice squad here, he will have great success somewhere else, where another team will be willing to give him as fair of a shot as the other backs on the roster
    Stokes was better at what he did than Onterrio would be. Stokes is a great kick returner, Onterrio is not. Stokes also played WR, which would be way out of Onterrio's skill set. The fact that Onterrio is talented isn't enough for him to make a roster is any league in any sport. The guy has to work hard, which he has not done. The guy has to be a mature adult, which he has not done. And above all the guy has to be serious about winning, which he has not been.

Sorry but Onterrio carries too much baggage to keep on your roster despite struggles in camp and on the field.
    the guy busted his foot, and still lost 25 lbs riding the bike and doing exercises..coach berry even said that onterrio worked his butt off to trim off the weight during his injury..he just wasnt given the same opportunity as childs was..onterrio has matured, and he has worked his butt off in wpg to make the team, but a set of unfortunate circumstances and a lack of a legitimate opportunity forced his dismissal
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

im not gonna bash the guy for not trying when i wasnt there to witness what he was doing in camp, i just go by what the coach and the papers say, and they all said he worked his butt off whether he was injured or not..he lost the weight, and then the 2 carries speaks for itself..unfair opportunity..you have a guy who was a great nfl player sitting right there under your nose, and you choose to go with a guy who was rated as the 42nd best player (6th round dispersal pick) on the renegades roster

Nobody said life was fair. you can't fault a coaching staff for choosing a guy who hasn't tested positive 3 times for weed over a guy who has... Obviously they saw more in camp from both players than a couple carries, so I'm pretty sure they can make an informed decision. Just because players were good NFL players doesn't mean they will be good CFL players...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast