Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whittle Signed

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Whittle Signed

I posted dis somewheres else on anudda thread, so here we go again....
    =================================================
    #65 Jason Whittle | OG

Full Name: Jason Whittle
    Born: March 7, 1975
    Springfield, MO
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 305 lbs.

Pos: OG
    Experience: 8 years
    College: Missouri State

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 61 | Key
    Alert: None

Comment:
    He takes good angles to his blocks and plays with good intelligence when helping out on twists and stunts by the defensive front. He is better when he is uncovered. He rarely gets himself in poor position and he shows the ability to slide and reset his feet. This makes it difficult to get movement. He works with a narrow base and has trouble sustaining blocks. He has a tendency to get over extended and fall to the ground. He does a poor job of using his hands to lock on. A good bull rush will overwhelm him and he can not maintain contact with a speed rush or a good double move.
    ===============================================
    Unless da coaches seen sumpin' in him dat made dem sign dis mug, I tink it's a wasted move. We already got backups dat are dis good. I dunno....
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I think this basically confirms we won't bring back Melvin Fowler and this guy will take over as backup center. We will still go after a good starter at guard or we will keep Fonoti.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

I'm with KJ on this one. All I heard last year was that the O-line in NY was decimated toward the end of the year and anyone who watched them struggle through their last couple of games knows that it is true; yet this guy couldn't get a start? I'm suspicious though I will remain optimistic (because I'm a Vikings fan and my yearly ungrounded optimism is about all I have).

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]Ex-Giants lineman Whittle signs with Vikings[/size]

The Vikings agreed to a one-year contract with veteran free agent Jason Whittle on Friday, adding an offensive lineman who can play both guard spots and center. Whittle's agent, Joe Linta, declined to provide financial details.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: March 03, 2006 – 11:41 PM

The Vikings agreed to a one-year contract with veteran free agent Jason Whittle on Friday, adding an offensive lineman who can play both guard spots and center. Whittle's agent, Joe Linta, declined to provide financial details.
    Whittle, 31, has spent seven of his eight NFL seasons with the Giants, who released him last week in a salary-cap move.

"This is a good fit," Linta said. "He'll compete for a starting job at guard, and he's a really good long snapper, too."

Whittle, signed as an undrafted free agent by the Giants in 1998 out of Southwest Missouri State, played his first five seasons in New York before joining Tampa Bay in 2003 as an unrestricted free agent. The Giants reacquired Whittle from the Bucs for a seventh-round pick in August 2004, and he started all 16 games that season. Whittle played in 14 games last season but did not get a start.

Although another team also offered the 6-4, 305-pound Whittle a contract, he felt the Vikings were the best fit.

"His chance to compete for playing time is better [with the Vikings], and they were a little more friendly with the contract," Linta said.

Offord re-signs

Safety Willie Offord agreed to a two-year contract that will total more than $3 million if he reaches the multiple incentives.

Offord, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in September and missed the final 13 games, was set to become an unrestricted free agent.

Offord received a signing bonus in the mid-six-figure range, according to his agent, David Canter. Many of the incentives in Offord's contract are based on his playing time. His base salary for 2006 will be for the league minimum of $545,000; it will increase to $650,000 in 2007.

"This is a great situation for Willie," Canter said. "The Vikings made it clear they really wanted him there."

With soon-to-be free agent Corey Chavous not expected to return, Offord will compete for a starting spot at safety. Canter said his client has been cleared for all activity except contact and that he will be able to participate in the minicamps.

Minor tweaking

Linta downplayed the recent discussions he has had with the Vikings about altering Matt Birk's contract. Linta has made it clear Birk won't accept a pay cut -- he is due to make a base salary of $3.94 million next season and receive a $400,000 roster bonus -- and stressed that reporters should not make too much of what's going on.

"We're talking about it, and they're throwing it back to Matt," Linta said. "It's a very minor tweaking thing here that might or might not happen."

Birk, who declined to discuss his contract, missed last season following surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. Linta said Thursday the Vikings expressed concern about whether Birk will be 100 percent.

Birk spends most days working out at the Vikings' facility and is encouraged by his progress. "I would say 100 percent," Birk said when asked how he feels. "When I work out, I don't even think about it."

Etc.

• Veteran guard Chris Liwienski was scheduled to sign his restructured contract Friday, according to agent Vern Sharbaugh. Liwienski, who had been due $2.065 million in salary and bonuses in 2006, lost his starting job last season, causing the Vikings to alter his five-year deal. The Vikings and Linta had a brief conversation Friday about the team's desire to reduce right tackle Mike Rosenthal's contract ($1 million base) and give him a chance to make more through incentives. No progress was made on that front.

• The Vikings added three members to their coaching staff: Juney Barnett (assistant strength and conditioning), Jeff Imamura (defensive assistant) and Clay Matchett (offensive assistant). Matchett worked in the team's public relations department last season.

Whittle signs with Vikings

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I think last season proved you can never have enough depth along the O-line. My one worry is that, like last year, the Vikings are going to keep shuffling guys along the line into different positions. Hopefully this year we'll have the players starting and backing-up each position, rather than having Adam Goldberg or anyone else backing up 3 different positions (LG, C, and RG if I remember correctly).

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

I also hoid dis....
    ===============================================
    Vikings sign former Giants OL Whittle
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

The Minnesota Vikings, who are expected to rebuild the interior of their offensive line for 2006, have signed free agent Jason Whittle, an eight-year veteran who has started in the past at both guard spots and also at center.

Released last Saturday by the New York Giants, after a second stint with the team, Whittle signed a one-year contract for $695,000, ESPN.com has confirmed. The deal includes a $25,000 signing bonus and a minimum base salary of $670,000.

Whittle, 30, could vie for a starting job on a unit that might undergo a overhaul in 2006. At worst, his versatility will provide Minnesota a top backup, one who can play three positions and can also serve as an emergency deep snapper. The 6-feet-4, 305-pound Whittle is known as an excellent technician but also as a physical in-line run-blocker.

The former Southwest Missouri State standout appeared in 14 games for the Giants in 2005, all of them as a backup. In 2004, Whittle started all 16 games, including 15 at left guard, but he lost his starting position when the Giants dramatically upgraded their line in 2005. During his one week of unemployment, Whittle drew interest from several teams.

He began his career with the Giants in 1998 as an undrafted free agent and spent five seasons in New York before signing with Tampa Bay as an unrestricted free agent in 2003. After one season with the Bucs, he was traded back to the Giants in 2004 for a draft choice.

In eight seasons, Whittle, who began his college career as a defensive tackle, has appeared in 109 games and started 40 of them.
    ==============================================
    I dunno. Dis is still not nearly as impressive as signing Bentley, or Runyan, y'know? I hopes Childress knows what he's doin', y'know?
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

you "hoid dis" or you heard this....
    Can Someone please Hook me up with a Sig

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"nextvikingsstar" wrote:
    you "hoid dis" or you heard this....
    Yes. OMV was right the 1st time. It's his writing style..........

for which he won an award, by the way. :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

haha alright, it makes us vikings fans look really smart, haha but whatever
    Can Someone please Hook me up with a Sig

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Well I sure hope that this Ex-Giant is better than the last one that we signed, Mr. False Start Rosenthal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast