Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Where are the RB's in this draft?

You know, the one thing that could really help us this year in the draft would be for the top end to be stacked at a position that we are deep at,which would leave players at other positions for us to choose from.

So with that in mind the best thing for us would be to have a bunch of elite RB's projected to go high in the draft since we are set with #28.But after looking around I don't know if there is a single RB that will go in the 1st round let alone the top 11.

I don't remember a season where there has been less buzz about a RB than there has been this year. Am I missing anyone that you feel will go high in the draft?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Where are the RB's in this draft?

Ingram might go top 11... no guarantees, but if a team really values him they might go with him. Who knows if Frank Gore will ever be ready to go again so the 49ers would be a good fit.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I think you are seeing a trend the last few years that will continue this year.

More and more teams are waiting and taking RB's in the later rounds and still getting pretty damn good production out of them.

Unless you have something special like an AD sitting there, most teams seem to looking at DL, OL and other "safe" picks at the top of the board.

As Mr. A said, Ingram appears to be the only one of that ilk this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Not too many WR's at the top of the draft either. What we are seeing is a premium placed on a franchise QB when one comes along and if not a premium on defenders that can disrupt the franchise QB's that are on teams right now.

It is a QB driven league right now so you either have to have one or build your team to stop one. If you are lucky your team might have both.

dfosterf is offline Coach

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090068

More and more teams are waiting and taking RB's in the later rounds and still getting pretty damn good production out of them.

Unless you have something special like an AD sitting there, most teams seem to looking at DL, OL and other "safe" picks at the top of the board.

I agree with what Marr is trying to say here, but think it's just a little different than how he put it.

Where I depart from the quote has to do with the idea that OL and DL are "safe" picks at the top of the board.

It's a little more nuanced than that, or perhaps a better way of putting it is this-

There are a couple of kinds of "safe", and the trend of late has less to do with what we have traditionally considered the "safe" route, that is, take a highly-touted O-lineman early (for example) as he will fit in somewhere along that line, or take that "planet theory" (+300 lb athletes are rare) DL and develop him.

Here's the nuance- I believe teams have had SO MANY MISSES on both the O-line and d-line in later rounds COMPARATIVE to RB's (and WR's) that they pretty much know that to get real quality in the trenches, they have to go early.

You aren't going to get a prototypical LT much past the 1st round anymore, and THIS draft is one of the few in recent memory where you could probably get a quality DE past the 2nd.

Example:
    My boy Bulaga FELL to us last year, and we were THRILLED he was there, and he is NOT a protypical LT- he's practically DAMAGED GOODS B)

His arms are at least a full inch "too short" for LT, and that is why he "lasted" that long.

I like the example of AD. IMO, if a RB doesn't project out to something like an AD, that prospect is far more like a "commodity-pick". For example, would anyone really be all that surprised if Ingram (consensus top RB, by far, imo) didn't even go until the 2nd round?

Would that ?ever? happen anymore with the top OT or DE ?

I think not.

I tried to explain this elsewhere by saying that the 2nd round is now the 1st round for RB's. This is an over-simplification, and I fully acknowledge the high number of RB's taken historically in the 1st round-

It's just my way of saying that you can get 1st round quality at that position later in a draft COMPARED to something like the "keys" in the trenches.

Foster's axiom:

Make your QB comfy, make the other team's not. The rest is gravy.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1090073
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090068

I agree with what Marr is trying to say here, but think it's just a little different than how he put it.

Where I depart from the quote has to do with the idea that OL and DL are "safe" picks at the top of the board.

It's a little more nuanced than that, or perhaps a better way of putting it is this-

There are a couple of kinds of "safe", and the trend of late has less to do with what we have traditionally considered the "safe" route, that is, take a highly-touted O-lineman early (for example) as he will fit in somewhere along that line, or take that "planet theory" (+300 lb athletes are rare) DL and develop him.

Here's the nuance- I believe teams have had SO MANY MISSES on both the O-line and d-line in later rounds COMPARATIVE to RB's (and WR's) that they pretty much know that to get real quality in the trenches, they have to go early.

You aren't going to get a prototypical LT much past the 1st round anymore, and THIS draft is one of the few in recent memory where you could probably get a quality DE past the 2nd.

Example:
    My boy Bulaga FELL to us last year, and we were THRILLED he was there, and he is NOT a protypical LT- he's practically DAMAGED GOODS B)

His arms are at least a full inch "too short" for LT, and that is why he "lasted" that long.

I like the example of AD. IMO, if a RB doesn't project out to something like an AD, that prospect is far more like a "commodity-pick". For example, would anyone really be all that surprised if Ingram (consensus top RB, by far, imo) didn't even go until the 2nd round?

Would that ?ever? happen anymore with the top OT or DE ?

I think not.

I tried to explain this elsewhere by saying that the 2nd round is now the 1st round for RB's. This is an over-simplification, and I fully acknowledge the high number of RB's taken historically in the 1st round-

It's just my way of saying that you can get 1st round quality at that position later in a draft COMPARED to something like the "keys" in the trenches.

Foster's axiom:

Make your QB comfy, make the other team's not. The rest is gravy.
    I can live with all of that.

Just one minor tidbit......

I think OLmen and DLmen are easier project out when it comes to how good they will be. Very few taken in the first and second are busts. Guys in the later rounds are there because they don't project out well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

dfosterf is offline Coach

Ya, like Justin Harrell. (Ouch) B) :unsure: :P

As an aside, Vikes fans may have to give your FO a lot of "leeway" in the "2nd guessing" department as to their decisions in this draft if the next CBA is not ratified prior to it.

The variables are kind of overwhelming without free agency, UDFA's, etc.