Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: What's the matter with Julian Peterson?

I am hoping that a new system and better coaching will help turn around some of our linebackers. Last year with Ted Cottrell's system everybody was lost including veteran players like Cowart, Winfield and Sharper. If these guys had a hard time grasping Cottrell's system, then 2 and 3 year players would be lost.

So I say give Napo, EJ, Thomas and if they bring back Smith another year and see if we can come up with 2 linebackers that can start along side Leber!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Tanner_QBRB8 is offline Pro-Bowler

i would just like to c the Vikes get out there and grab up some more talent like the other teams are and it isnt just linebacker we need after a couple of days and more vikes get out of Minnesota we are going to need help at a lot of other positons

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"rdknieff" wrote:
    there are a lot of great LBs in the draft.....although, I originally REALLY wanted Peterson in purple this year. Now I don't feel so bad about not pursuing him though
    I hear you. I think they are looking to the draft more than FA for the LB and S positions.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "rdknieff" wrote:
    there are a lot of great LBs in the draft.....although, I originally REALLY wanted Peterson in purple this year. Now I don't feel so bad about not pursuing him though
    I hear you. I think they are looking to the draft more than FA for the LB and S positions.

Not if we end up packaging those picks to move up in the draft to get 1 of the top 3 QB's in this draft. That has been the hot rumor. If we can't sign a FA QB, then that is probably what we end up doing.. Therefore, no picks to get LB's, and S's.. Just a thought.

he need an impact linebacker will talent. Peterson would immediately bring that for us. I think we should at least schedule a visit with him.
    "We are Lions!!" - Achilles (from the movie Troy )

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Peterson = too slow for "cover 2" + to much $$$ = No purple for him.

Move on, wasted energy.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I feel like we need atleast 2 more new LB's. I mean maybe our LB"s got what it takes and Tomlin knows that....but from a fans perspective, our LB corps needed to be redone this offseason. Signing Leber was a great solid move, but it dosnt fix the problem. Ernie Sims, D'Qwell, Hodge, Carpenter, without a doubt one of them will be a Viking next year, but if we get one of them...is it enough?

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Del Rio Guest

Why would he waste all that money on a guy who has assholes for agents when he has very young talented players that he can mold to his own choosing.

This is why fans don't call the shots. You don't need big names you need people who can do what you tell them to and do it the way you ask.

Julian peterson is to inury proned. passing on him is smarter than even thinking of talking to him
    Vikings mission to conquer other Land, Steeler Country, Raider Nation &...

purplepride818 is offline Starter

Why The Vikings Wont Sign Peterson....Or Any Big Named LBs

Why didn’t the Vikings pursue outside linebacker free agents Will Witherspoon (late of Carolina) or Julian Peterson (San Francisco)? Indications were that the value wasn’t there for the Vikings – they wanted to spend the big money on linemen and let the mid-level linebackers work behind them.
    John Taylor from the Orange and Brown Report, Scout.com’s Cleveland Browns site, has been checking into the Browns’ interest in Peterson and provides exclusive information on why the San Francisco linebacker has remained unemployed even as teams wrap up their initial burst of free agent shopping.

Besides the biggest mysteries of the free-agent signing season – "how the hell are the Redskins doing it?” – is the seeming lack of interest in two-time Pro Bowler Peterson.

Other than an Internet-fueled brouhaha that had the Browns and Lions supposedly doing an “Anything You Can Do, I Can Offer Better” banjo-riffing contract battle, there has been virtually no action on the Peterson front.

Now, The OBR is able to shed at least a little bit of light on the lack of activity involving the linebacker.

According to a league source, Peterson is seeking $18-$20 million in any new contract he signs. That’s $18-$20 million in guaranteed money.

To put that into proper perspective, Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander received $15 million guaranteed each and they were coming off Pro Bowl seasons. Peterson is coming off a sub par 2005 season, which came on the heels of an Achilles injury that limited him to five games in 2004.

Then again, Peterson is represented by the notorious Poston brothers, so that does somewhat explain the exorbitant demands.
    In spite of the dollar figures floating around the Peterson camp's collective heads, the Browns and other teams still maintain at least a sliver of interest. But, as was the case with Willie McGinest, the Browns are more than willing to sit back and allow the market to correct what is – to be blunt – a ridiculous starting point in negotiations.

In order for the Browns interest to go from minimal to anything close to serious, the source said, the Peterson camp “will have to drop their price drastically.” Still, Peterson is garnering mild interest from other teams – the Vikings not being one of them.

The Patriots are also interested in Peterson, but are taking a wait-and-see attitude. In addition to Cleveland and New England, Seattle and Miami have shown interest.

Peterson has already visited the Seahawks in the last the last 24 hours, and has a visit scheduled for the Dolphins in the next day or two.

Additionally, the source said, the 49ers are about to renew their efforts to re-sign their prodigal linebacker.

Meanwhile, the Vikings don’t see a linebacker on the market with that would be able to upgrade over their current corps for the value they are seeking. There might be more talented linebackers left on the market, but the Vikings aren’t willing to pay their asking price – and Peterson’s asking price is far from something they would consider, according to the indications Scout.com has been getting.

that makes sense, i wouldnt pay him that much money for coming off that kind of season. he must be crazy.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast