Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are the Vikes doing?

Now as you all read the below story about how the Vikings signed Jeremy Shockey's backup to a 5 year/18 million dollar deal including $7 million in guarantees, I wonder if you'll ask yourself the same question as I do as I read it.
    That question is....drumroll please....WHAT in the world are the Vikings doing?
    First off, has anybody even heard of this guy?!? Last year they signed backup linebacker Ben Leber to around a $4 million/yr deal and now this?
    Does the front office even need to ask why this team isn't getting better?
    Well, the simple answer is that they're overpaying for average, at best, talent.
    It just amazes me how dumb they can be.
    I mean if they want to pay me $80,000 a year to make bad personnel decisions I can do it too at the very least.
    The Vikings seem to like signing guys that are backups to fairly large contracts.
    Hmmm....let's see here....Ben Leber and Chester Taylor last year and this year Visanthe Shiancoe (Giants 2nd string tight end), Bobby Wade (mostly a career backup), and LB Vinny Ciuriu (A career backup for the Carolina Panthers).

This strategy seems to be working great since we have the #7 pick in the draft....oh wait, if you have the #7 pick then that means you didn't have a very good previous season....so maybe this strategy isn't working so well after all.
    In fact let's include the genius off-season move of trading the uber-talented Randy Moss for essentially Troy (the BUST) Williamson at #7 overall two years ago and Napoleon Harris who thank goodness we let go and the Chiefs signed him to a 6-year $24 Million deal (sorry Chiefs).
    Now, I really hope this front office has something amazing up it’s sleeve because I just don’t see the past couple year’s decisions panning out too well.

Our deals this year are summarized by various sites below.....

The Shiancoe deal is as follows:
    Shiancoe gets five-year deal worth about $18 million

To make Winter Park his first and only stop, the Vikings signed TE Visanthe Shiancoe to a five-year contract worth about $18 million, including $7 million in guarantees.

Does that seem like a steep price to anyone else? There obviously was a market for him (Seattle was definitely a player). But that seems like a lot for someone who hasn't scored a touchdown in the last two seasons.

The Ciurciu deal is as follows:

Ciurciu, meanwhile, was almost exclusively a special teams player during his four seasons in Carolina. But he played middle linebacker at Boston College, and the Vikings will give him a chance to compete at that position; 2006 starter Napoleon Harris is not expected to return. Ciurciu received a three-year contract worth $3 million, including a signing bonus of just more than $500,000.

VIKES CATCH WADE

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the Minnesota Vikings have signed receiver Bobby Wade to a five-year, $15 million deal.

And so yet another so-so player gets paid.

Wade, who spent two years with the Bears and two with the Titans, caught 33 passes for 461 yards and two touchdowns (the only scores of his career) in 2006.
    He started in only two of 16 regular-season games.

Wade has caught 101 balls for 1,199 yards and 2 touchdowns in his 4 year NFL career, which has included 18 starts.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: What are the Vikes doing?

Nice post. Too bad it's riddled with sadness.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"defensiveplaymaker1" wrote:
    Now as you all read the below story about how the Vikings signed Jeremy Shockey's backup to a 5 year/18 million dollar deal including $7 million in guarantees, I wonder if you'll ask yourself the same question as I do as I read it.
    First off, has anybody even heard of this guy?!? Last year they signed backup linebacker Ben Leber to around a $4 million/yr deal and now this?
    Well, the simple answer is that they're overpaying for average, at best, talent.
    I mean if they want to pay me $80,000 a year to make bad personnel decisions I can do it too at the very least.
    The Vikings seem to like signing guys that are backups to fairly large contracts.
    Hmmm....let's see here....Ben Leber and Chester Taylor
    Yup. Stopped reading right there. Keep up the good work.

"Hmmm...let's see here..." weren't Ben Leber and Chester Taylor two of our most productive players last year?

Yup.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Hey man!!!
    Brad Childress KNOWS what he is doing!!!!

Nobody else knows...but he apparently does?!?
    LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"The" wrote:

"Hmmm...let's see here..." weren't Ben Leber and Chester Taylor two of our most productive players last year?

Yup.
    Ben Leber - 46 Tkls, 3 Sacks, 1 INT

Not exactly a home run signing considering his rather large contract. :-

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "The" wrote:

Yup.

Not exactly a home run signing considering his rather large contract. :-\
    Sure, not a great player on paper but if you watched the games he was one of our better players as far as creating more of a pass rush and in coverage. Considering that he was a Visanthe Shiancoe type signing going into the season I'll say I was quite impressed.

patistheman is offline Starter

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "The" wrote:

Yup.

Sure, not a great player on paper but if you watched the games he was one of our better players as far as creating more of a pass rush and in coverage. Considering that he was a Visanthe Shiancoe type signing going into the season I'll say I was quite impressed.
    What pass rush???
    Also neither Taylor or Leber were unheard of players.
    Leber was a career starter before the Chargers decided they could improve there and drafted Merriman.
    Taylor was a career backup yes, but he left Baltimore because he could become a starting running back elsewhere, its not like he came out of nowhere to become a great find.

"patistheman" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "The" wrote:

Yup.

What pass rush???
    Also neither Taylor or Leber were unheard of players.
    Leber was a career starter before the Chargers decided they could improve there and drafted Merriman.
    Taylor was a career backup yes, but he left Baltimore because he could become a starting running back elsewhere, its not like he came out of nowhere to become a great find.
    I swear I was going to respond the exact same way.

digital420 is online now Team Alumni

defensiveplaymaker1 on Today at 05:12:33 am

yup.. and if the new average guys play like those to.. i'm gonna start buying into Bchill and the front office ideals.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

We signed Wade to a 5 year 15 million contract? Are you fudging serious!?????????????????????????????????????????? ?????? We can't be this dumb, seriously can we??

Also the Shiancoe comparison to Leber and Chester is waaayyy off. Leber was a proven starter in SD and Chester show'd what he's made off when Jailmale Lewis went down. Shiancoe? umm...Giant fans are laughing their jiggly butts off at us.
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast