Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:What should we expect out of Madieu Williams????

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    I know it's been touched on quite a bit in other threads, but, one player I am having a hard time coming to terms with is Madieu Williams.

What do you think he is capable of next year? Does he fit the Tampa 2? Is he done?

Will he return back to form if the other DBs stay healthy and play at the top of their game?

I really don't have a good read on this guy and would be interested in others views.
    I think what we've learned in the past four years, is that no safety seems to fit our cover 2...

Even the great Cover 2 safeties of the past decade seem to be more of the hard-hitting, lurking in the box safety like Bob Sanders and John Lynch.
    But those guys are allowed to roam in those schemes, especially Sanders.

Our guys are not, which by the way was the main reason Sharp hated the scheme and wasn't productive in it.

Much like the FB, I get the feeling you guys are looking for our S's to be something they aren't based on the way the scheme dictates play.
    Thats somewhat the point I'm getting at. Those teams who run the cover 2 have good success because they don't handcuff their players. We however do, and we don't allow our players to play to their strengths.

I think Tyrell coudl be a pretty good safety, but in the cover 2, it exposes all his weaknesses, his vision, recognition, poor tackling and delay on making a play.

Considering how 'bad' Sharper was at the cover 2, he played far better than anybody we had since. His mindset is that of a free roamer, but he has the skillset to play the cover-2 adaquatley. The problem is we weren't expecting adaquate, we were expecting great from him.
    But they don't run a Cover 2. When a Saftey plays the middle it is called a Cover 1 or a "Cloud" look.
    I realize that as well.

Our issue is we have two free safeties but no real strong safety.

When we go into a cover 1 we have a free safety deep, but we have another 'free safety' playing the SS role.

People claim, in the cover 2, there's little distinction between free and strong safety, and they're right. However, we don't only run the cover 2. Madieu can't play in the box worth crap, and TJ's not much better.

Thats part of why I wanted Taylor Mays. Maybe he's not teriffic against the pass, but he can certainly hold his own filling in on the run and playing the underneath zones.

Thats where we got hurt the most last season. Especially when Winfield was out, our edge rush defense was poor, and our intermediate passing D was poor. Part of it is attributed to DL play also, but alot has to do with safety play. ON outside runs, the Safety has to fill in and help stop the run between the OLB and the Corner. Our safeties were slow to get there last season, and as a result, we had our worst run defense performance in a few seasons (I know, I know)

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    If our DL plays well, our DB's (and LB'rs) play well. In short, he will do fine as long as they are doing thier job.
    You mean as long as he doesn't have to do his.

Agreed if no one ever reaches the safeties, they'll do just fine.
    Comeon, you know what I mean.

On a side note, did you see him lay out (can't remember his name) that Ravens WR last year. I completely forgot about that hit until I watched the re-air.
    When the Vikings first signed Madieu I remember his play in the pre-season and was impressed at how hard he hit. He ended up with a neck injury and doesn't seem to be the same player ever since. Maybe he'll get some of that intensity back?

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

As long as the other 10 players on the field are doing their job, you won't even notice all of Madieu's mistakes.
    We're bringing purple back.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

gregair13 wrote:
    As long as the other 10 players on the field are doing their job, you won't even notice all of Madieu's mistakes.
    Ha...that makes me feel better about him!
    None

AKViking is offline Rookie

TastyW:"When the Vikings first signed Madieu I remember his play in the pre-season and was impressed at how hard he hit. He ended up with a neck injury and doesn't seem to be the same player ever since. Maybe he'll get some of that intensity back?"

I have those same memories. But I seriously doubt he will ever get that intensity back. Not because he's old (he's not), he's scared. Can't say I blame him, neck injuries can make one consider if you will walk again after the next hit. Anyone else remember his pathetic shoulder/vestigial arm non-tackles during the season and playoffs? I'd like to say he's "serviceable". But the fact is, a safety scared to make a hit and wrap up, plus lacking elite speed is a liability. Sadly, I think his quality playing days are well behind him, and now he's just looking to collect the pay check and walk home. Too bad, I had high hopes for him as well.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

AKViking wrote:
    TastyW:"When the Vikings first signed Madieu I remember his play in the pre-season and was impressed at how hard he hit. He ended up with a neck injury and doesn't seem to be the same player ever since. Maybe he'll get some of that intensity back?"

I have those same memories. But I seriously doubt he will ever get that intensity back. Not because he's old (he's not), he's scared. Can't say I blame him, neck injuries can make one consider if you will walk again after the next hit. Anyone else remember his pathetic shoulder/vestigial arm non-tackles during the season and playoffs? I'd like to say he's "serviceable". But the fact is, a safety scared to make a hit and wrap up, plus lacking elite speed is a liability. Sadly, I think his quality playing days are well behind him, and now he's just looking to collect the pay check and walk home. Too bad, I had high hopes for him as well.
    Was he scared when he layed that Raven WR out, I mentioned in a earlier post, last year?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

One hit does not a good safety make. Was it a shoulder hit? High on the receivier's body? What was the sum of his performance that game? I seem to recall more than one lame attempt at wrapping up Rice. I don't have the game on my DVR anymore, maybe you can check the archives.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

AKViking wrote:
    One hit does not a good safety make. Was it a shoulder hit? High on the receivier's body? What was the sum of his performance that game? I seem to recall more than one lame attempt at wrapping up Rice. I don't have the game on my DVR anymore, maybe you can check the archives.
    He probably 'forgot' to write it down in his game notes.

LoL

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

I have stood up for our safeties over the past couple of seasons, and honestly I think they are both good players. Honestly its Frazier that needs to go. His scheme locks our safeties up, and often times has them out of position.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast