Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

What should we expect out of Madieu Williams????

I know it's been touched on quite a bit in other threads, but, one player I am having a hard time coming to terms with is Madieu Williams.

What do you think he is capable of next year? Does he fit the Tampa 2? Is he done?

Will he return back to form if the other DBs stay healthy and play at the top of their game?

I really don't have a good read on this guy and would be interested in others views.
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: What should we expect out of Madieu Williams????

I don't expect anything other than him being serviceable.If he plays to his potential I will be pleasantly surprised. We do have some options now so one way or the other the staff should have a guy to pick up any slack he gives.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:What should we expect out of Madieu Williams????

If our DL plays well, our DB's (and LB'rs) play well. In short, he will do fine as long as they are doing thier job.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

bsmithberkley wrote:
    I know it's been touched on quite a bit in other threads, but, one player I am having a hard time coming to terms with is Madieu Williams.

What do you think he is capable of next year? Does he fit the Tampa 2? Is he done?

Will he return back to form if the other DBs stay healthy and play at the top of their game?

I really don't have a good read on this guy and would be interested in others views.
    I think what we've learned in the past four years, is that no safety seems to fit our cover 2...

Even the great Cover 2 safeties of the past decade seem to be more of the hard-hitting, lurking in the box safety like Bob Sanders and John Lynch.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    If our DL plays well, our DB's (and LB'rs) play well. In short, he will do fine as long as they are doing thier job.
    You mean as long as he doesn't have to do his.

Agreed if no one ever reaches the safeties, they'll do just fine.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:

I think what we've learned in the past four years, is that no safety seems to fit our cover 2...

Even the great Cover 2 safeties of the past decade seem to be more of the hard-hitting, lurking in the box safety like Bob Sanders and John Lynch.
    That's what I was looking for in him (hard hitting, lot's of speed) and just didn't see it. I wouldn't mind seeing a Veteran Safety brought in from FA to shake Madieu up a little. I think he is too comfortable being the senior guy of that group.
    None

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    You mean as long as he doesn't have to do his.

Agreed if no one ever reaches the safeties, they'll do just fine.
    Comeon, you know what I mean.

On a side note, did you see him lay out (can't remember his name) that Ravens WR last year. I completely forgot about that hit until I watched the re-air.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:

But those guys are allowed to roam in those schemes, especially Sanders.

Our guys are not, which by the way was the main reason Sharp hated the scheme and wasn't productive in it.

Much like the FB, I get the feeling you guys are looking for our S's to be something they aren't based on the way the scheme dictates play.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:

Our guys are not, which by the way was the main reason Sharp hated the scheme and wasn't productive in it.

Much like the FB, I get the feeling you guys are looking for our S's to be something they aren't based on the way the scheme dictates play.
    Thats somewhat the point I'm getting at. Those teams who run the cover 2 have good success because they don't handcuff their players. We however do, and we don't allow our players to play to their strengths.

I think Tyrell coudl be a pretty good safety, but in the cover 2, it exposes all his weaknesses, his vision, recognition, poor tackling and delay on making a play.

Considering how 'bad' Sharper was at the cover 2, he played far better than anybody we had since. His mindset is that of a free roamer, but he has the skillset to play the cover-2 adaquatley. The problem is we weren't expecting adaquate, we were expecting great from him.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:

Thats somewhat the point I'm getting at. Those teams who run the cover 2 have good success because they don't handcuff their players. We however do, and we don't allow our players to play to their strengths.

I think Tyrell coudl be a pretty good safety, but in the cover 2, it exposes all his weaknesses, his vision, recognition, poor tackling and delay on making a play.

Considering how 'bad' Sharper was at the cover 2, he played far better than anybody we had since. His mindset is that of a free roamer, but he has the skillset to play the cover-2 adaquatley. The problem is we weren't expecting adaquate, we were expecting great from him.
    But they don't run a Cover 2. When a Saftey plays the middle it is called a Cover 1 or a "Cloud" look.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast