Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    tclawmen is offline Starter

What if we were to go DE with our first 2 picks?

We all seem to agree that the D/E position is one of great need and that we want to ensure that we come out of this years draft with some help at the position. My hope is that Harvey somehow falls to us at 17 but I doubt that will happen. But what would you think if we were to
    get Merling in the first round and then follow that up with Campbell in the 2nd. Campbell had a poor combine and I believe he has taken himself out of the first round and that he might be available when we pick in the 2nd round. We could take what was a position of weakness and quickly turn it into a strength. Campbell has talent and simply needs some coaching to allow that to develope.

Before anyone says I should be drawn and quartered for suggesting this, there is very little going on while teams get ready for the draft. So, this is being submitted FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY as I realize the other needs of the team would not allow such a move to be made. But, I do believe this would resolve the shortcomings at this one key position for years to come and Campbell would be a good value in the 2nd round. What are your thoughts? Have we ever gone D/E, D/E back to back in rounds 1 and 2?

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Re: What if we were to go D/E with our first 2 picks?

IF Udeze's career was done and James was not coming back from the injury, I could see this as a possibility.
    However, we have two young DE's who have shown us something in limited playing time (in Edwards and Robison)... plus we have other needs.

We'll be picking up a S and possibly a CB for depth, though I don't see either of those being a 1st round selection.
    I think we also have depth needs at LB which could creep as high as 2nd round if the right value were there.

WR is an intriguing possibility.... but I just don't see us spending our top pick on one since the talent level is just not likely to match with our 1st round #17 needs and we know there should be plenty available in the 2nd without much of a dropoff.

QB will be there in the 3rd-5th, short of Matty Ice and Brohm, there is no QB worthy of #17....

RB would require run DMC to look at before the 4th round.....

TE has no 1st round talent, perhaps 2nd but is NOT a glaring need and we have too much invested in guaranteed $ right now in VS.

OL Yes, we need it....we need depth, we need quality starters, and NONE of us know what the front office really thinks about Bryant dumbass McKinnie....
    This will be addressed in the 1st two rounds barring a trade, IMO.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I wouldn't mind talking Harvey and Campbell in round 1 and 2.
    1 of them have to turn out to be good lol.

;D

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I think if Harvey is not there we should go OT in the 1st and then pick up Campbell in the 2nd.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"marstc09" wrote:
    I think if Harvey is not there we should go OT in the 1st and then pick up Campbell in the 2nd.
    I like your thinking, but i am not sold on Campbell.
    I question his desire and motivation. A focused Campbell probably would be drafted in the first round, but he is fat an out of shape already.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

My mock has the Vikes taking 2 DEs, just in the 4th and 7th rather than the 1st and 2nd.
    Like Thor said, we are not screwed at the position like all these draft "experts" seem to think.
    We already have young talent there that may very well develop into pro bowl caliber players.
    It is not often a rookie comes in and has more than 10 sacks.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Interesting...but since the Vikings have invested so much in the DE position over the past few years, they run the risk of being called the Detroit Lions of the draft as it relates to the DE position.
    Then again, overdrafting DEs certainly didn't hurt the Giants this year.
    The main problem is that one of those two draft choices could be used to augment the WR corps, the CB position or even the OL with a top quality backup and future starter.

Yes, the Vikes have gone DEs with their first two picks...in 1992...albeit with 2nd and 4th round picks (no 1st or 3rd rounders that year)...the forgettable Robert Harris in Round 2 and ol' Roy Barker in Round 4.

Also, the Vikes have gone with DEs in back to back Rounds 1 and 2...in 1984, with the esteemed Keith Millard in Round 1 and the OTHER Robert Smith (a DE from Grambling) in Round 2...however, there was a second Round 1 pick sandwiched in there and the long forgotten Allende Smith, a DB, was the pick there.

Also, more recently in 2004, Udeze was taken in Round 1 and then Darrion Scott was taken in Round 3.

Overall, the Vikings draft history is littered with tons of picks at DE...some of them great pickups and some of them busts.
    Here is the site that I JUST found with ALL of the Vikes draft picks listed (it also links to EVERY year's draft list...a great link...I'd bookmark it if I were you):

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=MIN&lg=nfl
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    IF Udeze's career was done and James was not coming back from the injury, I could see this as a possibility.
    However, we have two young DE's who have shown us something in limited playing time (in Edwards and Robison)... plus we have other needs.

We'll be picking up a S and possibly a CB for depth, though I don't see either of those being a 1st round selection.
    I think we also have depth needs at LB which could creep as high as 2nd round if the right value were there.

WR is an intriguing possibility.... but I just don't see us spending our top pick on one since the talent level is just not likely to match with our 1st round #17 needs and we know there should be plenty available in the 2nd without much of a dropoff.

QB will be there in the 3rd-5th, short of Matty Ice and Brohm, there is no QB worthy of #17....

TE has no 1st round talent, perhaps 2nd but is NOT a glaring need and we have too much invested in guaranteed $ right now in VS.

OL Yes, we need it....we need depth, we need quality starters, and NONE of us know what the front office really thinks about Bryant dumbass McKinnie....

With their pick in the second round, the Minnesota Vikings select....EARLY DOUCET III of THE Louisiana State University!!!

*the crowd at the Viking Draft Party cheers loudly*
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:

With their pick in the second round, the Minnesota Vikings select....EARLY DOUCET III of THE Louisiana State University!!!

*the crowd at the Viking Draft Party cheers loudly*
    What crowd?
    We were kicked out shortly after they took Merling in the 1st round.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    My mock has the Vikes taking 2 DEs, just in the 4th and 7th rather than the 1st and 2nd.
    Like Thor said, we are not screwed at the position like all these draft "experts" seem to think.
    We already have young talent there that may very well develop into pro bowl caliber players.
    It is not often a rookie comes in and has more than 10 sacks.
    I think we are screwed at the position and have to take atleast one in the first or second round... but at this point.. i'm just ready to get it over with and see who we get...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast