Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PacMan21 is offline Starter

What happened to the love for Jamaal Anderson?

About 1 1/2 months ago, he was all people talked about. He quickly climbed high on peoples rankings after he announced his eligablity but after his 4.75 40 yard dash and his 288 lbs. frame showed up at the combine, his stock fell. Mainly because the only other "Top DE" in the draft happened to run a 4.64 40. Which if you look isn't very much of a difference in time since Adams weighs 30 lbs. lighter and is an inch shorter.

But my question is: Why are people only mentioning Gaines Adams as the only possible DE that should be taken at the #7 spot? (If Adams isn't available, then we take Landry, and if we don't take Landry, then we trade down to acquire more picks.)

If you pay attention to what actually matters instead of doing what the "casual fans" usually do, which is look at the 40 yard dash, then you will see that Anderson should be the #1 ranked DE in the draft. The 40 yard dash means absolutely nothing when it comes to Defensive Ends. If a DE has to run 40 yards on a play, it's not a good sign (on most occasions). But here's what actually matters when it comes to Defensive Ends:

10 Yard Dash
    Adams: 1.58
    Anderson: 1.59

20 Yard Shuttle
    Adams: 4.36
    Anderson: 4.22

3 Cone Drill
    Adams: 7.17
    Anderson: 6.88

Why is there so much more hype about Gaines Adams over Jamaal Anderson? If you compare Anderson to the #1 pick last year, again, besides the 40 yard dash, Jamaal Anderson would beat him in every category. Both Adams & Anderson both played in good conferences, although, you can argue that the SEC is a better football confernce than the ACC. And you can also argue that Anderson is the better run stopping DE. I think Adams is an acceptional player and would love to have him on the team, but if you guys honestly think that he's THAT much better than Anderson then I'd like to be informed on why that is.

Another thing to consider is this: Julius Peppers at the combine weighed in at 284 lbs. at 6 foot 6 inches. He ran a 1.68 10 yard dash, and hey, he even ran a 4.77 40 yard dash (granted it was his 2nd time).

Thoughts?

Thanks for the sig PurplePeopleEaters

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: What happened to the love for Jamaal Anderson?

Isn't the fact that Jamaal Anderson is considered a 'workout warrior'. While Adams has shown he can play on the field. He were destroying people at times playing at Clemson. His knock is that he has been inconsistent.

I still think the two are pretty close though, and I think it'll be up to how the teams that look for DE's will rank the two head-to-head, that decides who gets the nod in April.

On a side note Jarvis Moss should be on the way up boards.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Ahhhhh!!! Show Quentin Moses some love!

He is seriously under-rated and the guy can play. He is a monster.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:
    Ahhhhh!!! Show Quentin Moses some love!

He is seriously under-rated and the guy can play. He is a monster.
    I think he would be allright if we could snatch him in the 2nd round.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Well the problem with Anderson is he has a so-so work ethic and he doesn't always go full speed every down, he also just kind of dies when he's beaten to the point.

I personally don't like this pick. 3 DE's in the 1st round in 3 years? If we go defense at the #7 spot, I'd rather have Landry.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"PacMan21" wrote:
    About 1 1/2 months ago, he was all people talked about. He quickly climbed high on peoples rankings after he announced his eligablity but after his 4.75 40 yard dash and his 288 lbs. frame showed up at the combine, his stock fell. Mainly because the only other "Top DE" in the draft happened to run a 4.64 40. Which if you look isn't very much of a difference in time since Adams weighs 30 lbs. lighter and is an inch shorter.
    Not on this board.
    The main subject of which PPO-ers have been speaking is the irrational belief that the Vikings should trade their entire draft and Kevin Garnett for the right to draft Calvin Johnson.

As to Anderson or Adams or Landry or any other defensive player, I believe the Vikings have much stronger needs on the offensive side of the ball.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

laujesse is offline Starter

Kevin Garnett back in the trade rumors?
    ;D
    Tom Powers < Hetero

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Very good analysis. The shuttle is a better indicator of explosiveness off the line and change of direction capabilities. I don't think the 40 is that important by itself.
    Gaines has a very fluid atheletic movement,very coordinated. He's has potential to be great.My concern is his weight. He's a little light for the position right now.
    Jamaal seems to be ready for the next level without any weight concerns. I have heard the work ethic issue but I also heard that about Adams recently as well. I don't think work ethic will be a problem for either.

I would be happy with either at number 7 if no other big names are left.
    If it is between one of them or Landry, flip a coin. You won't go wrong either way.

Though I doubt a defensive player will be selected number 7.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

davike is offline Team Alumni

I hope we don't select a DE in the first round, we in my opinion aren't as bad off in that position as ppl seem to think. First of all, Udeze isn't a failure, he just didn't live up to the great pass rusher they made him out to be and who knows, he may have just had a bad year like Dwight Freeney. James will be back, Mitchel (i think that is his name) and Edwards looked very promising this past year. We could maybe draft another in the later rounds but we desperately need offensive weapons.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

We still have love for Jamaal Anderson, but dude, we need WR's, not DE right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast