Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vIker44 is offline Rookie

What ever became of Omar Jacobs?????????????????????

Been seeing a ton of this Brodie Croyle/Charlie Whitehurst yakk lately.... Did Omar fall into the deep dark abyss or sumthing??? True he is an underclassman, worked in shotgun a lot, will take off and run too early sometimes, and needs work on his mechanics.... all are negatives that can be corrected because of his fire and excellent work ethic.... Physically at 6' 4", 224lbs, and 4.55 speed the dude is a freakin' MONSTER!!!! His potential ranks right up there with the top three and in my humble opine may be second only to Lienhart long term... He's got big hands, great arm strength, leads his receivers nicely, can put the ball in tight spots, HAS NICE SHORT YARDAGE TOUCH, can toss the long ball with excellent zip (but does need some consistency work on that aspect).... He has quick feet, SHOWS GOOD FOOTWORK, has a quick release, does show good pocket presence when under center, can make people miss, and runs like a jaguar.... Mental wise the guy is a freakin' warrior.... He's tough, can take a lickin' and keep on tickin', makes pretty decent decisions, bounces back quickly from bad breaks, and has mad confidence in his game and is a willing student of it.... Might take slightly longer than the others to develop, but then again maybe not!!!!

When you get right down to it we are really talking about 6 potential QB selections here: Matt Schaub, Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Omar Jacobs, Brodie Croyle, and Chuck Whitehurst.... It looks like Schaub will remain a Failcon and it's highly doubtful Young or Cutler will drop to the Vikings 17th pick.... I'm not an advocate of trading up to get either one, thus we are down to Jacobs, Croyle, or Whitehurst in the second round....

Croyle has probably the strongest arm in the draft but so did Kerry Collins at one point... He also shows good comfort from the pocket in a Pro style set..... but the dude is a smallish 6-2, 200lbs and runs a mud slow 4.90.... I'm sorry but even WCO QBs need some speed (ex Steve Young)... he does show great leadership qualities but has accuracy and touch problems on short routes and is a M.A.S.H. unit waiting to happen... He's zero threat to run and has some problems side stepping pressure.... I'll state it right now that this dude will be a journeyman QB who when he does get his chances will be injury prone....

Whitehurst is rated lower than Croyle by the ESPN Draft Guide and TSN guide as well.... he's taller at 6-4 but rail thin at 216.... I'd take him over Croyle because I see Croyle as the next Kerry Collins.... His speed is measured in the 4.7 to 4.9 range but he does have some latteral mobility suited to a WCO type QB.... He can make the rushers miss.... he has good arm strength and can make any Pro throw.... he has solid touch on short and long passes.... Clemson ran the shotgun for his first 3 seasons so he needs some adjustment there.... he can be careless at times and ESPN questions his work ethic at times...... sometimes throws off the back foot into crowds but does have nice mechanics on his throwing motion....

I dunno, peeple, I'm hoping the Vikings are playing sucker punch here talking up Whitehurst and Croyle but I want Jacobs clearly over them.... Here's how I'd take them straight on up:

1. Jacobs
    2. Cutler
    3. Schaub
    4. Young
    5. Whitehurst

6. Croyle - NO, there has to be another option if we don't get our top 5.... I don't want Kerry Collins Jr...............

ps: Note to Viker fans: Thanks for the e-mails but simply said I have been in a serious ultra time crunch the past few months that won't lighten up for several more weeks.... so for the first time in several years there is no way I can conjur up my "Viker's Draft Wish List".... look for it to be back in full form somewhere on the net for 07'...... sorry......
    it's tarv time............

vikes4ever88 is offline Training Camp

Re: What ever became of Omar Jacobs?????????????????????

Yeah, I've been a huge Jacobs fan througout. I remember when all the scouting reports started, many scouts were huge on Jacobs. But recently, its been as if he doesnt exist. 41 TDs and 4 INTs in his sophmore year, and his junior year wasnt bad, either. Omar would definitely be a great pickup.

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

I agree, I would much rather take Omar than any of the "big 3", even if they did fall to 17.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    I agree, I would much rather take Omar than any of the "big 3", even if they did fall to 17.
    Are you serious

You would rather have Omar Jacobs over Matt Lienart or Vince Young, or Jay Cutler? :duh:

Thank you Josdin for the sig

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"Williamson8211" wrote:
    "oddmanout22287" wrote:
    Are you serious

You would rather have Omar Jacobs over Matt Lienart or Vince Young, or Jay Cutler? :duh:
    dude, where did tom brady get drafted? where did jake delhomme get drafted? kurt warner? marc bulger?..dude just because they are gonna go in the early first round doesnt make them instant super bowl quarterbacks..there will probably be a QB that gets drafted in the 4th or 5th round that ends up winning a championship way before young, leinhart, or cutler do
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

jacobs sounds like a project.

no thanks.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i wouldnt be at all suprised to see croyle become a far better player than leinhart
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Williamson8211" wrote:
    "oddmanout22287" wrote:
    Are you serious

dude, where did tom brady get drafted? where did jake delhomme get drafted? kurt warner? marc bulger?..dude just because they are gonna go in the early first round doesnt make them instant super bowl quarterbacks..there will probably be a QB that gets drafted in the 4th or 5th round that ends up winning a championship way before young, leinhart, or cutler do

Ya look at all of the bust we havent heard of since they got drafted. Im just saying that he said he would rather have had them over Lienart, Young, and Cutler. I think that is crazy.

Oh and have you heard of Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Drew Bledsoe, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, and Jake Plummer.

Finally, I will make a $100 bet that Lienart, Young, or Cutler will win a Super Bowl before Anyone drafted in the 4th round or below.

POINT MADE!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

sharper42 is offline Pro-Bowler

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Williamson8211" wrote:
    "oddmanout22287" wrote:
    Are you serious

no way, cutler, young, and lineart will be able to start within 2-3 years, guys getting drafted in later rounds might not ever get the chance. THe qbs that win super bowls that are drafted in the 4, 5 or 6th round is very rare doent happen a lot
    our only sure-handed receiver

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"Williamson8211" wrote:
    POINT MADE!
    WAGER MADE not point made. Actually, I agree with you one hundred percent but no point is ever "made" when it comes to potential moves with the Vikes. People think what they do and the more people argue the more they get set with their view. I don't want Jacobs and I certantly wouldn't take him over the big 3 even though I have seen Oomar play 4 times and never seen Cutler. Thats just me though.

To the original poster, a lot has been said about Jacobs and I see why you like him on paper but I have watched him and just don't see him as our championship QB of the future. Also, to put him now over the big 3, with the exception of possibly Cutler, is a bit ignorant IMO.

The real question is how come noone has said much about the kid from Oregon? He has just as good of a chance of being our guy as Whitehurst or Croyle.

[color=red]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast