Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    333

    What do you think of our bubble players?

    I think its more interesting to discuss our borderline players for next year than the starters, so here is my viewpoint on Vikings players "on the bubble". In no particular order.

    Would love to hear others viewpoints to learn more about these guys...

    Sapp, Benny – If Cedric Griffen is on the PUP list he should make the roster, he may even make it if Cedric isn’t on the PUP list. However, if the CB group comes back to form (Griffen, Winfield, Shepard, Cook) and Allen continues to show progress then the Vikings would be better off using this roster spot to shore up another position and in the long term bring in a CB that brings KR/PR skills to the team as well. (Look for a CB/S with “top-notch” return skills to get drafted next year to really solidify this group)

    Mitchell, Jayme – Young and big 6-6-285, Mitchell is a player that still hasn’t reached his full potential yet. But, with the depth on this team he will find himself fighting for a roster spot. I think the team is still intrigued with Jayme and his Ceiling is much higher than other players who will be borderline to make the team.

    Montgomery, Matt – It could be a short stay in Minnesotta for Matt, he is listed as a DT on the roster but he is capable of playing DE as well. With the addition of Everson Griffen the Vikings won’t have any room for Montgomery to show his skills at DE. His experience may help him beat out Giuon or Evans, but it will be tight, and there is still the threat of a FA DT signing that would really put Matt on the short list.

    Guion, Letroy – This is the type of young player who could easily be squeezed off of the team before he gets to show what he is capable of. With the drafting of Griffen and the signing of Montgomery the DLine is a very talented and deep group. Not to mention that if a talented FA-DT that could replace Fat Pat becomes available the Vikings would be hard pressed not to sign him.

    Tahi, Naufahu – They should call this guy “fly-paper”, he seems to stick around longer than most people want him to. The team has made a statement the last few years by letting TEs take plenty of reps at the FB position and this year drafted a LB to FB conversion project to boot. How much longer can Tahi stick around? I think Tahi makes the 53 man roster and gets activated for games where he figures more prominently in the game plan. But, make no mistake, the team would love to find a standout TE/FB hybrid player to take advantage of the roster spot. Until then, Tahi will still find a spot on the roster.

    Farwell, Heath – While he was voted to the Pro-bowl last year as a special teams player, that may not be enough to help him make the team this year. Farwell is undersized to play LB and some have questioned his pro-bowl selection as being due mainly to the fans overwhelming vote turnout. Add that to questions regarding his full recovery from injury and the drafting of four players who should be able to contribute on special teams (Triplett, Griffen, Webb, Cook) and Lloyds addition as a KOS which will reduce Farwell’s importance to the team then Farwell’s departure from the team might be the surprise of the offseason.

    Onatolu, Kenny – An undersized LB who is also slow (especially for his size), you have to think Onatolu’s roster spot is at risk. Add to the mix the addition of Cook/Webb/Griffen/Triplett and the team should be able to plug someone in on STs as well. I think a FA LB signing is not out of the question as well with the uncertainty of Henderson coming back at 100%. All this makes Onatolu a bubble player to make the roster this year.

    Rosenfels, Sage – Perrilloux has the arm and the on-field ability to make teams take notice, and that’s just what the Vikings will be doing this pre-season. I think the team will be laser focused on how Perrilloux handles himself in camp and around his teammates. If he proves out to be as advertised on the field and doesn’t set any red flags off the field, then we may finally find out who the Vikings coaching staff believes in, Sage or TJax. I rate Sage and TJax as just about even myself, but, I personally think they will find a trading partner for Sage in a heartbeat if they decide to keep Perriloux. So, Sage is on the Bubble more for his trade value than anything else.

    Young, Albert – With AD and Gerhart on the team, Young’s value to the team falls off considerably. After AD and Gerhart they will want to carry a more maneuverable back like Reynaud. Young just does not add anything to the current mix of players.

    Reynaud, Darius – I think Reynaud is guaranteed a spot due to his PR/KR abilities and 3rd down RB/Slot WR makes the most since. Now, after saying that, I think the Vikings will be on the lookout for a “Joe McKnight” type in next years draft if Reynaud does not work out this year. While Reynaud is a good return man, he isn’t great enough to command a spot on the roster unless he shows something out of the backfield this year.

    Frampton, Eric/Abdullah, Husain – Both of these guys are in the same spot, 4th or 5th Safety on the team. And with Cook being drafted and likely to play Safety in a pinch and the tremendous roster pressure at most every position I think one of these guys makes the 53-man roster and one says goodbye.

    Cook, Ryan – Drafted as a C out of college, able to play Every position on the OLine, Cook is an interesting player. He first moved to T from C to make his first start and didn’t fair well until his second year. And then we brought in Loadholt to replace him. I still don’t think we know what we have with Cook. Even if we find a good FA Olineman I see him making the 53 man roster as a worst case this year as the “utility back-up you don’t have to play until you are forced to”.

    Dugan, Jeff – Undersized for a blocking tight-end, capable of filling in at FB, and a contributor on Special teams, Dugan is the definition of a utility player. However, he does not shine brightly enough at any spot to demand a roster spot. While Dugan likely makes the 53 man roster, he needs to show more on offense if he wants to keep a spot next year. Look for the Vikings to bring in a big blocking TE next year to prepare for Sausser’s retirement.

    Mills, Garrett - TE,6-1,235 , a Tight-End in a Fullbacks body. There will be a lot of pressure at other positions for this roster spot, and with the fresh injection of athletes to help out on special teams and Lloyd making special teams coverage less important I just don’t think the Vikings can afford 4 TEs on the roster. Mills’ impact to the team just doesn’t warrant a spot this year.

    Lewis, Greg – While we will all remember “The Catch” from last year, Lewis needs to contribute more than 96 yards on offense to be a contributor. His special teams contributions will be downgraded because of Lloyd and the added athletes in this years draft. With the potential that Webb brings to the game as blocking WR and his ability to dominate off the line Lewis or Johnson one will find themselves on the 53 man roster by the end of the year.

    Johnson, Jaymar – A well liked player that really only brings average Punt Return skills to the team. Jamar will be hard pressed to make the team this year. As a fifth WR he does not bring much to the team (1 catch last year), the young Joe Webb’s physical abilities to dominate at the line of scrimmage and to help dominate CBs in the running game may be too much for Jamar to overcome. Jamar’s best hope to make the team is if the staff feels that they have no other options as a back-up PR to Reynaud. (Note, another reason to make sure there is a CB or two on the team that is a good PR/KR for Flexibility)
    None

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re:What do you think of our bubble players?

    What a great idea for a thread. I've been toying with some thoughts in my "Roster Analysis" thread, however, here are a few comments....

    Sapp, Benny – If Cedric Griffen is on the PUP list he should make the roster, he may even make it if Cedric isn’t on the PUP list. However, if the CB group comes back to form (Griffen, Winfield, Shepard, Cook) and Allen continues to show progress then the Vikings would be better off using this roster spot to shore up another position and in the long term bring in a CB that brings KR/PR skills to the team as well. (Look for a CB/S with “top-notch” return skills to get drafted next year to really solidify this group)
    Cedric will not be 100% this year, even if he does make it back.

    Question is, what do the Vikes do with Cedric. Do they shelve him for a year or try to carry him on the chance that he will be 100% by the playoffs.

    Not a expert on the IR/PUP kindof stuff. Maybe someone who knows that stuff can help out.

    In short, Benny is not at risk right now. I think the cat at risk could be Whinny. Asher showed some good stuff last year, Lito is a nice addition, Benny played well, they didn't draft Cook to let him loose.

    Mitchell, Jayme
    He is gone long before any other DE. He only plays the LDE spot, has had every chance to step up and hasn't.

    Guion, Letroy
    He isn't going anywere. He was young when we drafted him and he is still young. Mix in that he is mired behind K-dubb, and you're just not gonna get alot of significant reps.

    I look to see the young man really start to come into his own this year.

    Tahi, Naufahu
    He is gone. The FB position is a dead one in the NFL. Teams will use H-backs in the few blocking situations that might arise.

    This is were I see us saving a roster spot that can be used for a extra CB or a DLmen if necessary.

    Farwell, Heath
    Gone. Way to many youngsters on this roster that will make our ST's and some skill positions better.

    Onatolu, Kenny
    He is our new ST's ace and is the reason we can let Heath leave. He isn't going anywhere.

    By the way, he is far from slow.

    Mills, Garrett
    He is gone. Been trying to figure out why we brought him in since he got here. Only thing I can think of is that the staff brought him in just to show Belicheat he can't push us around.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    333

    Re:What do you think of our bubble players?

    Marrdro wrote:
    What a great idea for a thread. I've been toying with some thoughts in my "Roster Analysis" thread, however, here are a few comments....

    Sapp, Benny – If Cedric Griffen is on the PUP list he should make the roster, he may even make it if Cedric isn’t on the PUP list. However, if the CB group comes back to form (Griffen, Winfield, Shepard, Cook) and Allen continues to show progress then the Vikings would be better off using this roster spot to shore up another position and in the long term bring in a CB that brings KR/PR skills to the team as well. (Look for a CB/S with “top-notch” return skills to get drafted next year to really solidify this group)
    Cedric will not be 100% this year, even if he does make it back.

    Question is, what do the Vikes do with Cedric. Do they shelve him for a year or try to carry him on the chance that he will be 100% by the playoffs.

    Not a expert on the IR/PUP kindof stuff. Maybe someone who knows that stuff can help out.

    In short, Benny is not at risk right now. I think the cat at risk could be Whinny. Asher showed some good stuff last year, Lito is a nice addition, Benny played well, they didn't draft Cook to let him loose.

    Mitchell, Jayme
    He is gone long before any other DE. He only plays the LDE spot, has had every chance to step up and hasn't.

    Guion, Letroy
    He isn't going anywere. He was young when we drafted him and he is still young. Mix in that he is mired behind K-dubb, and you're just not gonna get alot of significant reps.

    I look to see the young man really start to come into his own this year.

    Tahi, Naufahu
    He is gone. The FB position is a dead one in the NFL. Teams will use H-backs in the few blocking situations that might arise.

    This is were I see us saving a roster spot that can be used for a extra CB or a DLmen if necessary.

    Farwell, Heath
    Gone. Way to many youngsters on this roster that will make our ST's and some skill positions better.

    Onatolu, Kenny
    He is our new ST's ace and is the reason we can let Heath leave. He isn't going anywhere.

    By the way, he is far from slow.

    Mills, Garrett
    He is gone. Been trying to figure out why we brought him in since he got here. Only thing I can think of is that the staff brought him in just to show Belicheat he can't push us around.
    I gotta disagree on Onatolu, all of the linebackers we have are slow. Onatolu plays with a good head of steam which makes him "look fast" by comparison. Lack of team speed at the linebacker position is one of our biggest problems. A good Veteran linebacker with a good speed/size ratio and the potential to provide somethng on the defensive unit could easily knock of Onatolu.

    The seams in the zone and the ability to contain TEs downfield is comprimised by this lack of speed and I just have to think it will be high on the radar as we go through offseason activities.
    None

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re:What do you think of our bubble players?

    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    What a great idea for a thread. I've been toying with some thoughts in my "Roster Analysis" thread, however, here are a few comments....

    Sapp, Benny – If Cedric Griffen is on the PUP list he should make the roster, he may even make it if Cedric isn’t on the PUP list. However, if the CB group comes back to form (Griffen, Winfield, Shepard, Cook) and Allen continues to show progress then the Vikings would be better off using this roster spot to shore up another position and in the long term bring in a CB that brings KR/PR skills to the team as well. (Look for a CB/S with “top-notch” return skills to get drafted next year to really solidify this group)
    Cedric will not be 100% this year, even if he does make it back.

    Question is, what do the Vikes do with Cedric. Do they shelve him for a year or try to carry him on the chance that he will be 100% by the playoffs.

    Not a expert on the IR/PUP kindof stuff. Maybe someone who knows that stuff can help out.

    In short, Benny is not at risk right now. I think the cat at risk could be Whinny. Asher showed some good stuff last year, Lito is a nice addition, Benny played well, they didn't draft Cook to let him loose.

    Mitchell, Jayme
    He is gone long before any other DE. He only plays the LDE spot, has had every chance to step up and hasn't.

    Guion, Letroy
    He isn't going anywere. He was young when we drafted him and he is still young. Mix in that he is mired behind K-dubb, and you're just not gonna get alot of significant reps.

    I look to see the young man really start to come into his own this year.

    Tahi, Naufahu
    He is gone. The FB position is a dead one in the NFL. Teams will use H-backs in the few blocking situations that might arise.

    This is were I see us saving a roster spot that can be used for a extra CB or a DLmen if necessary.

    Farwell, Heath
    Gone. Way to many youngsters on this roster that will make our ST's and some skill positions better.

    Onatolu, Kenny
    He is our new ST's ace and is the reason we can let Heath leave. He isn't going anywhere.

    By the way, he is far from slow.

    Mills, Garrett
    He is gone. Been trying to figure out why we brought him in since he got here. Only thing I can think of is that the staff brought him in just to show Belicheat he can't push us around.
    I gotta disagree on Onatolu, all of the linebackers we have are slow. Onatolu plays with a good head of steam which makes him "look fast" by comparison. Lack of team speed at the linebacker position is one of our biggest problems. A good Veteran linebacker with a good speed/size ratio and the potential to provide somethng on the defensive unit could easily knock of Onatolu.

    The seams in the zone and the ability to contain TEs downfield is comprimised by this lack of speed and I just have to think it will be high on the radar as we go through offseason activities.
    But you are missing what Kenny was brought in to do......Be our ST's ace. No one thinks he was brought in to be a backup LBr.

    I know that sounds a bit insignificant, but when you look at how bad that part of our team has been, then you can see why we need a cat like him.

    In the end, we still have a bit of room to improve in the coverage area, but we did improve last year, and he was a big reason for it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    333

    Re:What do you think of our bubble players?

    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    What a great idea for a thread. I've been toying with some thoughts in my "Roster Analysis" thread, however, here are a few comments....

    Sapp, Benny – If Cedric Griffen is on the PUP list he should make the roster, he may even make it if Cedric isn’t on the PUP list. However, if the CB group comes back to form (Griffen, Winfield, Shepard, Cook) and Allen continues to show progress then the Vikings would be better off using this roster spot to shore up another position and in the long term bring in a CB that brings KR/PR skills to the team as well. (Look for a CB/S with “top-notch” return skills to get drafted next year to really solidify this group)
    Cedric will not be 100% this year, even if he does make it back.

    Question is, what do the Vikes do with Cedric. Do they shelve him for a year or try to carry him on the chance that he will be 100% by the playoffs.

    Not a expert on the IR/PUP kindof stuff. Maybe someone who knows that stuff can help out.

    In short, Benny is not at risk right now. I think the cat at risk could be Whinny. Asher showed some good stuff last year, Lito is a nice addition, Benny played well, they didn't draft Cook to let him loose.

    Mitchell, Jayme
    He is gone long before any other DE. He only plays the LDE spot, has had every chance to step up and hasn't.

    Guion, Letroy
    He isn't going anywere. He was young when we drafted him and he is still young. Mix in that he is mired behind K-dubb, and you're just not gonna get alot of significant reps.

    I look to see the young man really start to come into his own this year.

    Tahi, Naufahu
    He is gone. The FB position is a dead one in the NFL. Teams will use H-backs in the few blocking situations that might arise.

    This is were I see us saving a roster spot that can be used for a extra CB or a DLmen if necessary.

    Farwell, Heath
    Gone. Way to many youngsters on this roster that will make our ST's and some skill positions better.

    Onatolu, Kenny
    He is our new ST's ace and is the reason we can let Heath leave. He isn't going anywhere.

    By the way, he is far from slow.

    Mills, Garrett
    He is gone. Been trying to figure out why we brought him in since he got here. Only thing I can think of is that the staff brought him in just to show Belicheat he can't push us around.
    I gotta disagree on Onatolu, all of the linebackers we have are slow. Onatolu plays with a good head of steam which makes him "look fast" by comparison. Lack of team speed at the linebacker position is one of our biggest problems. A good Veteran linebacker with a good speed/size ratio and the potential to provide somethng on the defensive unit could easily knock of Onatolu.

    The seams in the zone and the ability to contain TEs downfield is comprimised by this lack of speed and I just have to think it will be high on the radar as we go through offseason activities.
    But you are missing what Kenny was brought in to do......Be our ST's ace. No one thinks he was brought in to be a backup LBr.

    I know that sounds a bit insignificant, but when you look at how bad that part of our team has been, then you can see why we need a cat like him.

    In the end, we still have a bit of room to improve in the coverage area, but we did improve last year, and he was a big reason for it.
    I think with Lloyd on the team and the addition of Triplett (bigger/faster)and Griffen/Shepard/Webb/Cook (all very fast dudes) we will see a shake-up on the ST. There wil be a new valuation in place which will emphasize speed for ST Coverage (Punt coverage now being more important than kick-off coverage). I think that every player that "hung-his-hat" as a special teamer is in jeopardy this year via upgrade by a draftee or an as yet identified FA signing that brings more to the team as a position player.

    These guys who are our "special teams aces" will be a more or less revolving doors until they find ones that are capable position players as well.
    None

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re:What do you think of our bubble players?

    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    What a great idea for a thread. I've been toying with some thoughts in my "Roster Analysis" thread, however, here are a few comments....

    Sapp, Benny – If Cedric Griffen is on the PUP list he should make the roster, he may even make it if Cedric isn’t on the PUP list. However, if the CB group comes back to form (Griffen, Winfield, Shepard, Cook) and Allen continues to show progress then the Vikings would be better off using this roster spot to shore up another position and in the long term bring in a CB that brings KR/PR skills to the team as well. (Look for a CB/S with “top-notch” return skills to get drafted next year to really solidify this group)
    Cedric will not be 100% this year, even if he does make it back.

    Question is, what do the Vikes do with Cedric. Do they shelve him for a year or try to carry him on the chance that he will be 100% by the playoffs.

    Not a expert on the IR/PUP kindof stuff. Maybe someone who knows that stuff can help out.

    In short, Benny is not at risk right now. I think the cat at risk could be Whinny. Asher showed some good stuff last year, Lito is a nice addition, Benny played well, they didn't draft Cook to let him loose.

    Mitchell, Jayme
    He is gone long before any other DE. He only plays the LDE spot, has had every chance to step up and hasn't.

    Guion, Letroy
    He isn't going anywere. He was young when we drafted him and he is still young. Mix in that he is mired behind K-dubb, and you're just not gonna get alot of significant reps.

    I look to see the young man really start to come into his own this year.

    Tahi, Naufahu
    He is gone. The FB position is a dead one in the NFL. Teams will use H-backs in the few blocking situations that might arise.

    This is were I see us saving a roster spot that can be used for a extra CB or a DLmen if necessary.

    Farwell, Heath
    Gone. Way to many youngsters on this roster that will make our ST's and some skill positions better.

    Onatolu, Kenny
    He is our new ST's ace and is the reason we can let Heath leave. He isn't going anywhere.

    By the way, he is far from slow.

    Mills, Garrett
    He is gone. Been trying to figure out why we brought him in since he got here. Only thing I can think of is that the staff brought him in just to show Belicheat he can't push us around.
    I gotta disagree on Onatolu, all of the linebackers we have are slow. Onatolu plays with a good head of steam which makes him "look fast" by comparison. Lack of team speed at the linebacker position is one of our biggest problems. A good Veteran linebacker with a good speed/size ratio and the potential to provide somethng on the defensive unit could easily knock of Onatolu.

    The seams in the zone and the ability to contain TEs downfield is comprimised by this lack of speed and I just have to think it will be high on the radar as we go through offseason activities.
    But you are missing what Kenny was brought in to do......Be our ST's ace. No one thinks he was brought in to be a backup LBr.

    I know that sounds a bit insignificant, but when you look at how bad that part of our team has been, then you can see why we need a cat like him.

    In the end, we still have a bit of room to improve in the coverage area, but we did improve last year, and he was a big reason for it.
    I think with Lloyd on the team and the addition of Triplett (bigger/faster)and Griffen/Shepard/Webb/Cook (all very fast dudes) we will see a shake-up on the ST. There wil be a new valuation in place which will emphasize speed for ST Coverage (Punt coverage now being more important than kick-off coverage). I think that every player that "hung-his-hat" as a special teamer is in jeopardy this year via upgrade by a draftee or an as yet identified FA signing that brings more to the team as a position player.

    These guys who are our "special teams aces" will be a more or less revolving doors until they find ones that are capable position players as well.
    I can live with that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    333

    Re:What do you think of our bubble players?

    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    What a great idea for a thread. I've been toying with some thoughts in my "Roster Analysis" thread, however, here are a few comments....

    Sapp, Benny – If Cedric Griffen is on the PUP list he should make the roster, he may even make it if Cedric isn’t on the PUP list. However, if the CB group comes back to form (Griffen, Winfield, Shepard, Cook) and Allen continues to show progress then the Vikings would be better off using this roster spot to shore up another position and in the long term bring in a CB that brings KR/PR skills to the team as well. (Look for a CB/S with “top-notch” return skills to get drafted next year to really solidify this group)
    Cedric will not be 100% this year, even if he does make it back.

    Question is, what do the Vikes do with Cedric. Do they shelve him for a year or try to carry him on the chance that he will be 100% by the playoffs.

    Not a expert on the IR/PUP kindof stuff. Maybe someone who knows that stuff can help out.

    In short, Benny is not at risk right now. I think the cat at risk could be Whinny. Asher showed some good stuff last year, Lito is a nice addition, Benny played well, they didn't draft Cook to let him loose.

    Mitchell, Jayme
    He is gone long before any other DE. He only plays the LDE spot, has had every chance to step up and hasn't.

    Guion, Letroy
    He isn't going anywere. He was young when we drafted him and he is still young. Mix in that he is mired behind K-dubb, and you're just not gonna get alot of significant reps.

    I look to see the young man really start to come into his own this year.

    Tahi, Naufahu
    He is gone. The FB position is a dead one in the NFL. Teams will use H-backs in the few blocking situations that might arise.

    This is were I see us saving a roster spot that can be used for a extra CB or a DLmen if necessary.

    Farwell, Heath
    Gone. Way to many youngsters on this roster that will make our ST's and some skill positions better.

    Onatolu, Kenny
    He is our new ST's ace and is the reason we can let Heath leave. He isn't going anywhere.

    By the way, he is far from slow.

    Mills, Garrett
    He is gone. Been trying to figure out why we brought him in since he got here. Only thing I can think of is that the staff brought him in just to show Belicheat he can't push us around.
    I gotta disagree on Onatolu, all of the linebackers we have are slow. Onatolu plays with a good head of steam which makes him "look fast" by comparison. Lack of team speed at the linebacker position is one of our biggest problems. A good Veteran linebacker with a good speed/size ratio and the potential to provide somethng on the defensive unit could easily knock of Onatolu.

    The seams in the zone and the ability to contain TEs downfield is comprimised by this lack of speed and I just have to think it will be high on the radar as we go through offseason activities.
    But you are missing what Kenny was brought in to do......Be our ST's ace. No one thinks he was brought in to be a backup LBr.

    I know that sounds a bit insignificant, but when you look at how bad that part of our team has been, then you can see why we need a cat like him.

    In the end, we still have a bit of room to improve in the coverage area, but we did improve last year, and he was a big reason for it.
    I think with Lloyd on the team and the addition of Triplett (bigger/faster)and Griffen/Shepard/Webb/Cook (all very fast dudes) we will see a shake-up on the ST. There wil be a new valuation in place which will emphasize speed for ST Coverage (Punt coverage now being more important than kick-off coverage). I think that every player that "hung-his-hat" as a special teamer is in jeopardy this year via upgrade by a draftee or an as yet identified FA signing that brings more to the team as a position player.

    These guys who are our "special teams aces" will be a more or less revolving doors until they find ones that are capable position players as well.
    I can live with that.
    It will be interesting to see how they handle it. The most interesting point being the availability of Veteran FAs this year.

    Its got to be tempting to round out your roster depth in likely Favre's last year for that "extra advantage", With the amount of FAs that should hit the market with plenty of gas in their tanks I could see this roster getting really crowded and the STs Aces being under great pressure.
    None

  8. #8
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:What do you think of our bubble players?

    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Sapp, Benny – If Cedric Griffen is on the PUP list he should make the roster, he may even make it if Cedric isn’t on the PUP list. However, if the CB group comes back to form (Griffen, Winfield, Shepard, Cook) and Allen continues to show progress then the Vikings would be better off using this roster spot to shore up another position and in the long term bring in a CB that brings KR/PR skills to the team as well. (Look for a CB/S with “top-notch” return skills to get drafted next year to really solidify this group)
    I really don't think Sapp is on the bubble. Hell, we already resigned him, a roster spot is his to lose. We have Ced, Winfield, Sheppard, Cook, Allen and Sapp. I honestly believe we go with 6 CB's this season. Cook and Winfield could probably even double as safeties if we get into trouble. Sapp played well enough last year, filling in for Winfield that I think he has a spot saved. Plus, winfield and Sheppard are older, and both have had injury issues, I don't see either here in the long term. If sapp keeps progressing, he could become a decent corner for us.
    Mitchell, Jayme – Young and big 6-6-285, Mitchell is a player that still hasn’t reached his full potential yet. But, with the depth on this team he will find himself fighting for a roster spot. I think the team is still intrigued with Jayme and his Ceiling is much higher than other players who will be borderline to make the team.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut. We got Griffen in the draft, who looks to be a more able backup to Ray than Mitchell. Mitchell doesn't bring much to the table except for size.

    Montgomery, Matt – It could be a short stay in Minnesotta for Matt, he is listed as a DT on the roster but he is capable of playing DE as well. With the addition of Everson Griffen the Vikings won’t have any room for Montgomery to show his skills at DE. His experience may help him beat out Giuon or Evans, but it will be tight, and there is still the threat of a FA DT signing that would really put Matt on the short list.
    I don't see him staying long either. Probably a late cut when we need to get down to 53. At DE we have Ray, Griffen, Mitchell, Allen, Robison and Montgomery. At least one, probably two of these guys are going to be facing unemployment in the near future.

    Guion, Letroy – This is the type of young player who could easily be squeezed off of the team before he gets to show what he is capable of. With the drafting of Griffen and the signing of Montgomery the DLine is a very talented and deep group. Not to mention that if a talented FA-DT that could replace Fat Pat becomes available the Vikings would be hard pressed not to sign him.
    Not sure about this guy. He was drafted as a project. he's 22 years old and already has a year in the league. He was drafted, knowing full well he wouldn't be a starter anytime soon. I have a feeling he gets another year.

    Tahi, Naufahu – They should call this guy “fly-paper”, he seems to stick around longer than most people want him to. The team has made a statement the last few years by letting TEs take plenty of reps at the FB position and this year drafted a LB to FB conversion project to boot. How much longer can Tahi stick around? I think Tahi makes the 53 man roster and gets activated for games where he figures more prominently in the game plan. But, make no mistake, the team would love to find a standout TE/FB hybrid player to take advantage of the roster spot. Until then, Tahi will still find a spot on the roster.
    Unfortunately, I have a feeling he'll be back. Gerhart won't be a FB for us, maybe just a situational package-type FB. I'd love to see Sauce back in the backfield, but I don't think that will happen.

    Farwell, Heath – While he was voted to the Pro-bowl last year as a special teams player, that may not be enough to help him make the team this year. Farwell is undersized to play LB and some have questioned his pro-bowl selection as being due mainly to the fans overwhelming vote turnout. Add that to questions regarding his full recovery from injury and the drafting of four players who should be able to contribute on special teams (Triplett, Griffen, Webb, Cook) and Lloyds addition as a KOS which will reduce Farwell’s importance to the team then Farwell’s departure from the team might be the surprise of the offseason.
    Not sure with this guy either. He does help our ST's. Marrdro will be the first to point out he's not all over the field making tackle after tackle, but I don't recall seeing him getting beat or taking poor angles either...

    I don't see Webb or Griffen playing much special teams, but we have Onatolu, Sanford, Abdolluh, Farwell, Henderson, Tripplett and Cook. Thats 7 special teams player, plus Sanford and Abdullah are backup safeties as well. I'm not sure how much Farwell's contract is, but I have a feeling he'll be safe
    Onatolu, Kenny – An undersized LB who is also slow (especially for his size), you have to think Onatolu’s roster spot is at risk. Add to the mix the addition of Cook/Webb/Griffen/Triplett and the team should be able to plug someone in on STs as well. I think a FA LB signing is not out of the question as well with the uncertainty of Henderson coming back at 100%. All this makes Onatolu a bubble player to make the roster this year.
    Not an ideal size, but I think he played pretty damn well last year on special teams. Well enough to have a good shot at coming back. If he's cut, I won't be shocked, but I have a feeling he's back.

    Rosenfels, Sage – Perrilloux has the arm and the on-field ability to make teams take notice, and that’s just what the Vikings will be doing this pre-season. I think the team will be laser focused on how Perrilloux handles himself in camp and around his teammates. If he proves out to be as advertised on the field and doesn’t set any red flags off the field, then we may finally find out who the Vikings coaching staff believes in, Sage or TJax. I rate Sage and TJax as just about even myself, but, I personally think they will find a trading partner for Sage in a heartbeat if they decide to keep Perriloux. So, Sage is on the Bubble more for his trade value than anything else.
    Perrilloux won't be beating sage out anytime soon, and Sage's contract might restrict us from just cutting him. However, A trade is fully possible. I'll be watching this situation unfold pretty intensely.

    Young, Albert – With AD and Gerhart on the team, Young’s value to the team falls off considerably. After AD and Gerhart they will want to carry a more maneuverable back like Reynaud. Young just does not add anything to the current mix of players.
    I really won't miss Albert. He didn't have any particularly good skills as a back. No speed, not great power or vision. Not great ball skills. He looked terrible during the preseason for hte past two years except when he played other 3rd/4th string players. I'd love to see Reynaud or Ian Johnson take his spot.

    Reynaud, Darius – I think Reynaud is guaranteed a spot due to his PR/KR abilities and 3rd down RB/Slot WR makes the most since. Now, after saying that, I think the Vikings will be on the lookout for a “Joe McKnight” type in next years draft if Reynaud does not work out this year. While Reynaud is a good return man, he isn’t great enough to command a spot on the roster unless he shows something out of the backfield this year.
    I don't see him as on the bubble. He's a good punt returner, always seems to get some decent yardage, except he scares the shit out of me when he catches the ball. I don't think that guy called a fair catch once.

    Frampton, Eric/Abdullah, Husain – Both of these guys are in the same spot, 4th or 5th Safety on the team. And with Cook being drafted and likely to play Safety in a pinch and the tremendous roster pressure at most every position I think one of these guys makes the 53-man roster and one says goodbye.
    I touched on these guys already, and I don't see both of them making it. I forgot about Frampton but included Sanford. I see Frampton being the odd man out here.

    Cook, Ryan – Drafted as a C out of college, able to play Every position on the OLine, Cook is an interesting player. He first moved to T from C to make his first start and didn’t fair well until his second year. And then we brought in Loadholt to replace him. I still don’t think we know what we have with Cook. Even if we find a good FA Olineman I see him making the 53 man roster as a worst case this year as the “utility back-up you don’t have to play until you are forced to”.
    We just resigned him, he's not going anywhere.

    Dugan, Jeff – Undersized for a blocking tight-end, capable of filling in at FB, and a contributor on Special teams, Dugan is the definition of a utility player. However, he does not shine brightly enough at any spot to demand a roster spot. While Dugan likely makes the 53 man roster, he needs to show more on offense if he wants to keep a spot next year. Look for the Vikings to bring in a big blocking TE next year to prepare for Sausser’s retirement.
    Jack of all trades, but master of none. I think he'll be back, but one of his fellow positional teammates won't be
    Mills, Garrett - TE,6-1,235 , a Tight-End in a Fullbacks body. There will be a lot of pressure at other positions for this roster spot, and with the fresh injection of athletes to help out on special teams and Lloyd making special teams coverage less important I just don’t think the Vikings can afford 4 TEs on the roster. Mills’ impact to the team just doesn’t warrant a spot this year.
    I'm still trying to figure out why he's still on the team. he's done literally nothing for us so far. Gone.

    Lewis, Greg – While we will all remember “The Catch” from last year, Lewis needs to contribute more than 96 yards on offense to be a contributor. His special teams contributions will be downgraded because of Lloyd and the added athletes in this years draft. With the potential that Webb brings to the game as blocking WR and his ability to dominate off the line Lewis or Johnson one will find themselves on the 53 man roster by the end of the year.
    Rice, harvin, Berrian, ..... it drops off fairly quickly after that. Receivers are banged up all the time, harvin was out frequently, Berrian was banged up, and Rice took a beating, but hung in there. After that, who's left? Jaymar, Reynaud and Lewis. I think Reynaud is back, and after that, its between lewis and Jaymar. I think jaymar gets the nod here.

    Johnson, Jaymar – A well liked player that really only brings average Punt Return skills to the team. Jamar will be hard pressed to make the team this year. As a fifth WR he does not bring much to the team (1 catch last year), the young Joe Webb’s physical abilities to dominate at the line of scrimmage and to help dominate CBs in the running game may be too much for Jamar to overcome. Jamar’s best hope to make the team is if the staff feels that they have no other options as a back-up PR to Reynaud. (Note, another reason to make sure there is a CB or two on the team that is a good PR/KR for Flexibility)
    Alright for returns, has some work to do as a receiver. I think he has more upside than Lewis. Cris Carter, Larry Fitzgerald and Jerry Rice were all very impressed with Jaymar's skills when he attended their Receiver camp last year. If three of the best are all sold on him, I am. welcome back Jaymar.

  9. #9
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:What do you think of our bubble players?

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Reynaud, Darius – I think Reynaud is guaranteed a spot due to his PR/KR abilities and 3rd down RB/Slot WR makes the most since. Now, after saying that, I think the Vikings will be on the lookout for a “Joe McKnight” type in next years draft if Reynaud does not work out this year. While Reynaud is a good return man, he isn’t great enough to command a spot on the roster unless he shows something out of the backfield this year.
    I don't see him as on the bubble. He's a good punt returner, always seems to get some decent yardage, except he scares the shit out of me when he catches the ball. I don't think that guy called a fair catch once.
    He called 13 fair catches on punt returns last year.

    http://www.nfl.com/players/dariusreynaud/careerstats?id=REY044528

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  10. #10
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:What do you think of our bubble players?

    Zeus wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Reynaud, Darius – I think Reynaud is guaranteed a spot due to his PR/KR abilities and 3rd down RB/Slot WR makes the most since. Now, after saying that, I think the Vikings will be on the lookout for a “Joe McKnight” type in next years draft if Reynaud does not work out this year. While Reynaud is a good return man, he isn’t great enough to command a spot on the roster unless he shows something out of the backfield this year.
    I don't see him as on the bubble. He's a good punt returner, always seems to get some decent yardage, except he scares the shit out of me when he catches the ball. I don't think that guy called a fair catch once.
    He called 13 fair catches on punt returns last year.

    http://www.nfl.com/players/dariusreynaud/careerstats?id=REY044528

    =Z=
    yes, I've seen that before, Exaggerating a little bit, but he does have a tendency to try and return kicks he has no business returning. He's fumbled once or twice, but it could easilly have been more. Its a high risk, high reward type of maneuver, but in some situations, I'd rather he just wave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings Players on the Bubble Heading Into Training Camp
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
  2. Bubble players making the most of it
    By Anemic Offense in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 12:53 PM
  3. Vikings Bubble Players: Defense
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 02:24 AM
  4. NFL players on bubble as they wait for salary cap figures
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 02:35 AM
  5. Who's on the bubble?
    By whackthepack in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 10:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •