Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: What do u think?

"Json" wrote:
    Thanks Ultra. I am new to this and theres no real news coming out of winter park at this point so I thought I'd share my thoughts.
    No problem!

If it were not for members thoughts (except CGJ), this place would be like all the other Vikings sites....lame!

Ok...as far as the proven winner, I do not think that is a good benchmark for these QB's coming in. I mean football is such a team sport that its very hard to gauge that.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I think that it is a good thought...BUT like Del said, it's tough to swallow betting the farm on an UNPROVEN rookie...we don't HAVE to get someone to groom at QB this year...we can fill other more pressing needs and wait for something BETTER next year.

But I DO like the fact that you are thinking about the alternatives...all GREAT business people and ALL great leaders consider ALL the possibilities...to do otherwise is to shortchange both yourself and the fans.

Keep on posting, Json...but do look to see if there is another thread discussing the same topic first. You don't have to knock yourself out searching for an hour, but do at least look in the most obvious places. This just helps the mods keep the forums clean...and keeps Ultra from having a cow every other day! :razz:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

twiztedfait is offline Starter

I do not like the idea of trading the farm for 1 person. Even more so with draft picks. Each pick in the draft is a gamble. You could draft the next dan marino, or the next ryan leif. I just do not see the logic in trading away 3-4 chances at the next NFL stud for the chance at 1. It is putting all your eggs in one basket. In a team sport you just can not do that.

If we traded away most of our pics for the #2 pick we would have to pray to god that the QB we picked would be a HOFer otherwize we wasted everything on a dud. If we keep our picks there is more of a chance that one of them plays well and we don't blow the draft.

There's NO WAY the Vikings would coax the Saints to giving up the 2nd overall pick in the draft.IMO, keep the picks we have now and address the needs at LB,RB, and QB.I agree 100% that a winning QB in college dosen't always mean he will have the same success in the pro's.
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

Json is offline GM

So Del Rio you are saying that you would rather have Cutler then Young or leinart for our future QB even if it costs us a couple more picks in the draft eventhough we have 5 the first day? As the old saying goes, if you go out go all out. Thats where I'm coming from. Look at Cutlers win-loss record and then check the other twos resumes. Are you really saying that Young and Leinart are not proven winners? look at the #'s my friend..it's blantenly clear. And for the record please mark my words Cutler is drafted later then both....because they are both proven winners.

Del Rio Guest

"Json" wrote:
    So Del Rio you are saying that you would rather have Cutler then Young or leinart for our future QB even if it costs us a couple more picks in the draft eventhough we have 5 the first day? As the old saying goes, if you go out go all out. Thats where I'm coming from. Look at Cutlers win-loss record and then check the other twos resumes. Are you really saying that Young and Leinart are not proven winners? look at the #'s my friend..it's blantenly clear. And for the record please mark my words Cutler is drafted later then both....because they are both proven winners.
    If he doesn't cost me all my damn draft picks then yes.

Is that a saying? If you go out go all out? I mean the Vikings went all out with Herchel Walker and what happened?

No I don't think it is a good idea. I think it is a horrible idea, as has been stated.

This isn't about Jay Cutler, or Vince Young for me. This is about the Vikings. I could care less if we drafted a QB in the seventh round. We have a lot of holes on our team and we have a lot of draft picks.

Json is offline GM

I understand not dealing the farm but we can also trade current players on the roster as an option. Again, I don't want to make anyone upset by my thoughts I just hope we have a great draft. I know we could get the next marino or brady in the 3rd round and all three top prospects could amount to nobodys a few years from now but again I stand by the idea that if we move up we should move up big.

I agree that Leinart and Young have proven to be winners and Cutler hasn't shown anything. It remains to be seen how they'll do in the pro's.I never heard of Cutler until after the bowl games.He may surprise some people,then again he may be the next Drunkenmiller(remember that VA Tech qb that went in the 1st round to the 49ers a few years ago, a major BUST). ????
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

boognish is offline Coordinator

There are no guarantee that one of the top 3 QB's will become a superstar in the League. I just think they cost too much, both in salary paid and draft picks given up to get them. I say we use our first round pick on the best overall player on the board and use our 2nd round pick to snatch a QB. There should be several good, young prospects left at that point, including Omar Jacobs, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle, Eric Meyer, etc... I kind of like Whitehurst or Jacobs myself.
    I am a dipshit!!!

jaymz7 is offline Asst. Coach

It would be great to get one of the top QB's in the draft and have them become the next Peyton Manning, but you can't be sure you won't get the next Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, or A. Smith.

The fact we have 5 picks on the first day is great. The team can finally address the needs that they feel will take us to the next level. Old man Johnson as you call him is not the only veteran the team has. We need to get quality back ups to bring along to take over in a year or three to replace guys like Sharper, Pat Williams, Jimmy K, as well as Johnson.

IMO we need to use the five pics on the first day to address team needs for now and the future. We will get our QB of the future because there are many with potential and I think the staff will find the right guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast