Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

Re: What about a OT in the first round?

I would not be opposed to drafting an OT in the first round.
    However, i don't believe there will be value at 17 at that position.
    Long and Clady will be long gone and i don't see anyone else that could possibly go earlier than 25.
    Perhaps Otah will have a good combine and move up but it would still be a reach in my opinion.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

I couldn't disagree more.

The Vikings are set at 4 out of the 5 offensive line positions. Right Tackle is obviously the one that is not set in stone. Let's not forget that the Vikings have already invested a ton of $ into their offensive line. It finally started to pay off in the 2007-2008 NFL Season. But I just don't think we should be spending a first round pick on an offensive tackle this year. Our offensive line is already one of the best in the NFL, and we have other positions that need to be addressed.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd have no problem with using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on an OT.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

If OT is the BPA available at 17, which it most likely will not be, but if it is it is a good pick.
    The RT position, although improved throughout the course of the year, was a weakness.
    Obviously if the staff is sold on Cook as a long term answer then this is all moot, but if they have other plans, then it would not be surprising to see an OT drafted there.

I realistically only see us drafting a DB, DE, LB or a OL in the first round (assuming we stay at 17).
    We all know about Chili's apprehension towards WR in the first, and the talent is there to take one in the second again this year.
    LB is a bit surprising here but with the nearly inevitable loss of Dontarious Thomas we could use an injection of talent at that position as a backup/special teams player next year.

Personally, i like the talent at DE this year in the first round and think we might go in that direction.
    However, contrary to what i said above, i think Desean Jackson, although undersized, would bring a lot to this team initially on special teams and could become a great weapon on offense a few years down the road.
    Fred Davis is another player i would like to see added but that would take some maneuvering by the front office to get in position to take him a little closer to the bottom of round one.

The thing to remember in all of this is that the contract given to a player at 17 is nothing like a top ten player.
    Greenway was drafted close to this slot and he received a 11-12 million dollar deal over 5 years if memory serves me correct.
    Although still a lot for a rookie, it is modest compared to getting players in FA or at the top end of the draft.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456