Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Well here goes nothing...Garland Greene's Vikings mock draft.

Ok be kind but it is just my 2 cents.

Round 1

Chris Williams OT Vandy- Jake long is considered the number 1 OT in the draft, but there are a handful of Tackles that are considered a close second and Williams is one of them. Even though there is a huge need for DE. The Vikes will go OT. Long and Gholston will for sure be gone and Harvey will probably be gone, and after that there is really a crapshoot with the value at DE. Plus there will still be some surprises available with the second round. If Williams is gone Jeff Otah or Gosder Cherilus could also be a possibility or if Clady happens to fall He should be the choice over Williams, But he probably be gone as well.
    Be on the look out for a player like Brandon Albert of Virginia who is a Guard but I have seen projected as a Tackle as well.

Round 2

Calais Campbell DE Miami-Campbell will fall, and the Vikings will be more than happy he did. After being seen as a for sure first round Pick, Campbell has seen his stock drop and drop and at this point probably out of the first round. Merling could also be another one that drops but I don’t think it will happen.. Other possibilities could be Groves from Auburn, Jackson from USC or Avril from Purdue. If by chance that They go DE in round 1 this pick will be a tackle Someone like a Sam baker of USC, Duane Brown of VT or Anthony Collins of Kansas could be a solid Pick up in Round 2. I am alos convinced that there is a DE on a current NFL team that wil end up on the Vikings roster either by getting released or we will see a draft day trade.

Round 3

First pick

John David Booty QB USC-Vikings also need a plan B in case the TJack experiment fails. There is concern about JDB having small hands, which I am sure will make some Viking fans uneasy after a former QB also had small hands. JDB has a lot of experience with the WCO and should do well as a back-up for now but also a solid insurance plan just in case. Another possible option at this pick may be Jordy Nelson if he is still there. There have been mocks having him going as high as the top of round 2 to the middle of the 4th.
    If this happens that the Vikes make the pick and hope for JDB with the second pick of the 3rd. But for now let’s just stick with this scenario.

Second pick

Tom Zbikowsi S Notre Dame-Sharper Williams, Boulware and Zbikosi make a fine tandem at safety. TZ will be the eventual replacement to Sharper. But can also contribute right away on Special Teams, which seems to be a point of emphasis lately with the Vikings.

Round 4

Frank Okam DT Texas- A big DT, but has been somewhat inconsistent. Okam would provide some solid depth at DT and a chance to fill in for Pat Williams when needed.

Round 5

Owen Schmitt- FB West Virginia- A absolute beast at FB, whi si a mauler for a blocker. Tapeh was a nice pick up in the offseason but Schmitt will be the eventual starter at FB If TZ is not the Pick in round 3 then a player like Dominique Barber could be a pick up here to add to the Safety position.

Round 6

Corey Lichtensteiger-C Bowling Green Adds depth to line. And could be looked at as a eventual replacement for Birk. Biggest draw back on him is his short arms

Round 7

Josh Johnson QB San Diego What GG have you gone completely mad? 2 QB’s get drafted? No way in Hell! Well I actually think that HJohnson is a good pick at this point in the draft. Will he still be there? It is possible. Johnson is kind of a unknown He is a interesting prospect at QB, but is that his position? Can he make the transition to WR or become the Randle –EL type player that can do a little of both but also have a few wrinkles in the playbook for him? From his profile nfl.com

Finished his career as the Toreros' all-time leader with a 176.68 passing efficiency rating... Completed 724-of-1,065 passes (.680) for 9,699 yards and 113 touchdowns (with just 15 picks)...Finished with 1,864 yards rushing on 307 attempts (6.1 avg.) with 19 career rushing scores. As a three-year starter for the Toreros he was 30-4 and led San Diego to two Mid-Major Sports Network championships and three PFL conference titles. He finished with 11,563 yards of total offense.

Yes you have to look at the level of play but, the kid is a athlete that could be used in a variety of ways.

Well there it is. Rip away! ;D

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Well here goes nothing...Garland Greene's Vikings mock draft.

I can't say for sure how accurate this is going to be, BUT....If I could have my way, I would not change a single pick in this entire mock draft.

I love it. Doubt it will happen this way, but it's awesome. Especially Schmitt and Zbikowski!

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

I wouldnt be mad at all with that draft, but i think we need to get 2 DE's this year and i doubt Josh Johnson will be there in the 7th

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

Actually, Id be very satisfied if that was our draft...the only thing i disagree with is the last pick, not because of the player, but because he's a QB...He'd almost certainly not make the roster, we could try to get him to the practice
    squad, but depending on his play in preseason, could be signed somewhere else instead, and turn out like Thigpen did....

I've changed my mind on the 1st round a bit on the DE spot,
    I think if Harvey is gone, we take an OT, and hope Groves or Campell falls to us in the 2nd...

Nice Mock Garland.
    ;D

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I just don't see th point of drafting a DE who won't improve our pass rush, and a QB who is also another project. I can see us taking Williams, but I don't see OT as our main need. Drafting a FB means cutting either Dugan, Sauce, or Mills. I don't see it happening.

I wouldn't mind if we traded up for Harvey at all, but trading for someone like Taylor like you said would be much better.

I do like the safety pick, and Josh Johnson if we could get him in that late. Excellent value. Okam would also be good.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    I just don't see th point of drafting a DE who won't improve our pass rush, and a QB who is also another project. I can see us taking Williams, but I don't see OT as our main need. Drafting a FB means cutting either Dugan, Sauce, or Mills. I don't see it happening.

I wouldn't mind if we traded up for Harvey at all, but trading for someone like Taylor like you said would be much better.

I do like the safety pick, and Josh Johnson if we could get him in that late. Excellent value. Okam would also be good.
    Maybe. All of those guys are more TE than FB and we do in reality have 2 FB 's on teh roster now. OT I really believe is a huge need for us. There is a good possibility that BM will not be on the team next year, and Ryan Cook although he did show a little improvement is not the answer at RT either. Booty may be a project, maybe not but again its we need a solid plan B that is not Ferotte or Bollinger. I have not been shy about my feelings for TJack, however, I think that he should be given every chance to make himself better, and the only way that is ti happen is with surrounding him with the best players around him in including OL and giving him someone that will push him in practice. Plus I really believe that JDB will be a better QB than most people think and may be one of the Better QB's to come out of the draft. Also if Harvey is gone it really is a crap shot and honestly not much difference IMHO about the talent level of the next 5-6 DE in the draft. SO why spend a first round Pick on a guy that would be just as good in round 2. But you have good points, and thanks for the imput

"KrackerJack" wrote:
    Actually, Id be very satisfied if that was our draft...the only thing i disagree with is the last pick, not because of the player, but because he's a QB...He'd almost certainly not make the roster, we could try to get him to the practice
    squad, but depending on his play in preseason, could be signed somewhere else instead, and turn out like Thigpen did....

I've changed my mind on the 1st round a bit on the DE spot,
    I think if Harvey is gone, we take an OT, and hope Groves or Campell falls to us in the 2nd...

Nice Mock Garland.
    ;D
    Thanks, but With Johnson He probably would change position, but could be used in a emergencyat QB or for some trick plays. I don't see him as a regular QB. However and this will sound weird but IMHO he is a better college QB than TJack, but would not be a better pro QB than TJack

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I would rather trade one of our 3rd rounders to move up to #12 to make sure we get Derrick Harvey if he's there.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Great stuff Garland.

I most of the players but have problems with some of the positions you address.....

C - Not sure why they would use a pick on a C when they have a guy already tagged to take over for Birk in Mozes.
    My thoughts on C are that they will get a couple other undrafted FA in to compete for the spot, but don't see them using a draft pick there.

FB - I still have to wonder what the staff will do with what they have at this position.
    Obviously they have thier replacement for T-rich but I wonder about Tahi.
    Maybe they will draft a guy if the right guy falls to them. I wonder if Schmitt will slide to the 5th round though.

QB - I like the Booty pick but I wonder about them using 2 picks on the QB position.
    Booty would be the QB that is groomed to be the eventual backup/starter based on what TJ does.
    They can address QB again next year in the draft as well to look to add that 3rd guy.
    Just doesn't make much sense to try to get depth behind your backup at this point.

DE - I like Campbell but I like some of the other guys better (Langford) but I wouldn't be to upset with him.
    Additionally, I think they will draft 2 DE's this year (LDE and a Edge Rusher/Tweener).

Again, I like the effort you put into this and your ideas.
    You need to do a first round mock and plug it into our PPO competition.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

douginc is offline Starter

I would be out of my mind with joy if this draft happened, I just have doubts on a few of the picks.
    I don't think Calais Campbell will fall to us in the 2nd, and also Owen Schmidt in the 5th.

If that did happen though, I would be firing guns wildly in the air celebrating like a drunken cowboy from the 1900's.
    I am seriously hoping the Vikes pick up Owen Schmidt at FB, even though we have Tapeh.
    He'd be a great long term answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast