Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Wednesday Player Movement Buzz

Wednesday Player Movement Buzz
    Date: Feb 15, 2006

The clock is ticking down to next week's deadline for applying the franchise tag, as well as the NFL combine and the start of free agency. Teams are scrambling to get their players signed or are readying to find new blood. Here's more exclusive scoop on what's going on behind the scenes courtesy of Scout.com's Lane Adkins...

Next Thursday, February 23, is the deadline for clubs to designate franchise and transition players. March 3rd represents the beginning of the veteran free agency signing period. With the clock ticking, NFL clubs are positioning themselves for the flurry of activity:

The precarious quarterback situation and a new head coach in Detroit does not bode well for quarterback Joey Harrington’s continued employment. Around the league, the perception of Harrington is that he is ‘lacking football toughness’, which is the opposite of the mentally tough new coach. Additionally, the Detroit staff has spent a significant amount of time scouting quarterbacks this off-season, with Vanderbilt standout Jay Cutler rising near the top of the team’s early wish-list.

The Steelers enter the off-season wanting to retain up and comer, safety Chris Hope. The team likes the tandem of Hope and Troy Polamalu in the middle of the defensive backfield. Facing the potential departure of Antwaan Randle El, Deshea Townsend and Brett Keisel, the Super Bowl Champions are working behind the scenes to keep the core intact. Contract talks will heat up with Townsend and Keisel. While the Steelers would like nothing more than retain Randle El, the market demand is believed to be extremely strong for the multi-faceted player.

New York Jets cornerback Ty Law will be owed a double-digit bonus/salary in 2006, and the team hasn’t decided if they will retain his services. Law played reasonably well during 2005 despite recovering from a foot injury, and will be a hot commodity if released. Those close to Law have noted to Scout.com that Law liked playing for the Jets, but that "something was missing", meaning that it wasn’t like being in New England.

The Seattle Seahawks have been working overtime to get both running back Shaun Alexander and offensive guard Steve Hutchinson under contract for 2006 and beyond. The likelihood of getting deals for both standout potential free agents done prior to the free agent player signing period appears remote, with the chances of securing Hutchinson the more probable. If the team does not reach a deal with Hutchinson, they will place the franchise tag on him, while letting Alexander walk. Alexander is expected to receive a significant amount of interest from the Carolina Panthers and Arizona Cardinals.

The New Orleans Saints have lobbed out feelers regarding the value of the second-overall selection in the 2006 college player draft. The Saints are expected to release quarterback Aaron Brooks (if released, Atlanta appears to be an immediate destination) and are believed to be interested in a quarterback on draft day. Meanwhile, talks with standout offensive lineman LeCharles Bentley are going nowhere at this time -the team faces the decision of letting the dominating center walk test the free agent market or slapping the franchise tag on his services.

In Oakland, the Art Shell era Part II is starting to heat-up. While Mike Lombardi remains the voice in owner Al Davis’ ear (we continue to ask "why?"), we hear Shell will have a great amount of input. Davis knows Shell is really the last coach in Oakland that coached the team to play the Raiders way: intimidation, power, and relentlessness. Also, Shell wants a big-armed quarterback, but isn’t keen on Kerry Collins, and wants receivers to make plays (Randy Moss anybody?).

Carolina Panthers linebacker Will Witherspoon is going to garner a significant amount of interest, if he indeed hits the open market in early March. The Panthers are attempting to get Witherspoon under contract prior to the free agent signing period. If able to entertain free agency, expect the Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Houston Texans, Atlanta Falcons, New York Giants, and the Panthers themselves to come calling quickly.

While not a free agent, Atlanta Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub is an intriguing prospect. The Falcons have entertained numerous calls regarding the availability of the two-year pro from Virginia, all of which ended with the Falcons claiming Schaub is not available (at this time?). One of the teams Scout.com has heard of having an interest in Schaub is the New York Jets.

If the Buffalo Bills don’t come to a contract agreement with cornerback Nate Clements prior to the free agent signing period, the organization will place the franchise tag on the standout cornerback and kick returner. Also, veteran wide receiver Eric Moulds will be asked to restructure his contract and take a pay cut, or he could be released. Buffalo also has been in discussions regarding the status of offensive lineman Mike Williams. Williams, somewhat a disappointment in his time with the Bills, could wind up being released.

Contract talks with wide receiver Reggie Wayne and the Indianapolis Colts are progressing. Wayne, a potential free agent, has been deemed a priority by the Indianapolis organization and the team would rather sign the player to a long-term deal than use the franchise tag to secure his services. If the Colts can complete a long-term deal with Wayne, the door would be open for the team to secure free agent running back Edgerrin James’ services for at least one more season - by dropping the dreaded franchise tag on the star.

The San Francisco 49ers would like to retain the services of linebacker Derek Smith, but the team is not confident they can get a deal done with the steady defensive player prior to free agency. Smith could command a considerable amount of interest. The Niners other veteran free agent, Julian Peterson, is coming off an injury-marred season and didn’t appear to fit in Mike Nolan’s new defensive scheme. Peterson could be an interesting player, if healthy and given a change of scenery, both of which appear likely in 2006. The New York Giants, Detroit Lions, and Jacksonville Jaguars could be potential destinations for the former Michigan State product.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wednesday Player Movement Buzz

I will take Bentley, Witherspoon, Peterson, and Clements off of their respective teams' hands...NO PROBLEM!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I will take Bentley, Witherspoon, Peterson, and Clements off of their respective teams' hands...NO PROBLEM!!!
    lol well of course! Hopefully they just hand them over too right? :lol:
    ;-)

aceclown is offline Coach

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I'll also take T.O, Hutch, Runyan, and Edge... that should leave enough cap room right? just kidding cajun

Chuch.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"aceclown" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I'll also take T.O, Hutch, Runyan, and Edge... that should leave enough cap room right? just kidding cajun
    YOU can HAVE T-HO...I don't want him! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

aceclown is offline Coach

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    YOU can HAVE T-HO...I don't want him! :grin:
    i was just rattling off high priced FAs, T.O just happened to come to my mind, i dont want him either.

Chuch.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Hutch, Runyan, and Edge would do it for me.. Then look to the draft for everything else..

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

And [Shell] wants receivers to make plays (Randy Moss anybody?).
    is there a bigger playmarker around? i dont think so.
    We're bringing purple back.

Del Rio Guest

"gregair13" wrote:
    And [Shell] wants receivers to make plays (Randy Moss anybody?).
    is there a bigger playmarker around? i dont think so.
    If last year is any indication then yes Steve Smith reigns supreme.

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

People need to stop sleeping on the Vikings....

We've got cap room galore and money to spend (in excess of 20mil for next season)

Expect to see some top guys coming to our team...cuz we can afford em'.

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast