SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Be weary of the combine

http://www.newerascouting.com/home/be-weary-of-the-combine/#more-130

Well Look a here...lol just open it youll see what im talking about

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Be weary of the combine

We’ve all constantly heard that drafting in the NFL is not a skill, but rather an art. And, like all great artists, each general manager uses their own unique strategies and scouting philosophies to add the finishing touches to a beautiful piece of artwork, known as an NFL franchise.
    Anyone notice who does this.
    Sure the hell didn't say the Head Coach.

In a blink of a decade, NFL scouts and General managers began toying with the word potential more than ever. Players who were a proven commodity were rapidly falling down draft boards to make room for the over-hyped workout warriors. In front of our very eyes, we saw the revolution of the scouting process as we know it today.
    Scouts and General Managers......

Although physical marvels can have success in the NFL (2006 first overall pick Mario Williams comes to mind), scouts and general managers are placing too much of an emphasis on the 40-yard dash.

Maybe, just maybe after over 2 years people on here will/are starting to believe what role the Head Coach plays in this and will quite quoting the asinine blurbs they hear from mindless sports hacks who don't have a clue on how thier team is run.....

The Chiller isn't tied to TJ cause the Chiller didn't drafted TJ.

By the way, I really like to watch the combine.
    I believe that the data that comes from those workouts, combined with real scouting (game tape breakdown, game stats) are keys to successfull drafting.

When you rely solely on the combine because you don't have an adequate scouting staff you will wind up with poor drafting (ala T-will) which will hurt the team for years to come.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    We’ve all constantly heard that drafting in the NFL is not a skill, but rather an art. And, like all great artists, each general manager uses their own unique strategies and scouting philosophies to add the finishing touches to a beautiful piece of artwork, known as an NFL franchise.

In a blink of a decade, NFL scouts and General managers began toying with the word potential more than ever. Players who were a proven commodity were rapidly falling down draft boards to make room for the over-hyped workout warriors. In front of our very eyes, we saw the revolution of the scouting process as we know it today.

Although physical marvels can have success in the NFL (2006 first overall pick Mario Williams comes to mind), scouts and general managers are placing too much of an emphasis on the 40-yard dash.

Maybe, just maybe after over 2 years people on here will/are starting to believe what role the Head Coach plays in this and will quite quoting the asinine blurbs they hear from mindless sports hacks who don't have a clue on how thier team is run.....

I believe that the data that comes from those workouts, combined with real scouting (game tape breakdown, game stats) are keys to successfull drafting.

When you rely solely on the combine because you don't have an adequate scouting staff you will wind up with poor drafting (ala T-will) which will hurt the team for years to come.

I argee marr. BUT. hey it was either T-will Or M-Will.....and M-will had a way Better rap sheet coming out..than twill...i diddnt even no who Twill was. thing is we diddnt draft twill cause he was a great WR we drafted him to stretch the field for C-pep.. cause C-pep only does good with the long ball...its his speciality. if we still had randy moss today with C-pep at QB and AD at running back..and SId Rice...Wed be good to go. possibly 19-0...cause if they guard back...AD will chew them for 15-60 yards a run..lol

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"SharperImage" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I argee marr. BUT. hey it was either T-will Or M-Will.....and M-will had a way Better rap sheet coming out..than twill...i diddnt even no who Twill was. thing is we diddnt draft twill cause he was a great WR we drafted him to stretch the field for C-pep.. cause C-pep only does good with the long ball...its his speciality. if we still had randy moss today with C-pep at QB and AD at running back..and SId Rice...Wed be good to go. possibly 19-0...cause if they guard back...AD will chew them for 15-60 yards a run..lol
    Actually if I was the GM it wouldn't have been either.
    I would have addressed Defense with that pick as well as the one they used on Erasmus and I wouldn't have selected Erasmus with either.

There was alot better value that year at WR in the 3rd/4th rounds than in the first.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Chazz is offline Coordinator

Actually if I was the GM it wouldn't have been either.
    I would have addressed Defense with that pick as well as the one they used on Erasmus and I wouldn't have selected Erasmus with either.

There was alot better value that year at WR in the 3rd/4th rounds than in the first.

Agreed.....Sean Merriman comes to mind, but we have what we have. I liked the Erasmus pick, he could straight up get to the QB. He just had injury concerns and we took a chance to try and fill a void we've had for over 20 yrs now. The injurys have followed him here, so we lost that gamble. Can't win them all, doesn't mean you should never take chances. Suggs and Williams boys together will exponentially expand what we can do on defense.
    8)