Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: WE TOOK GREENWAY

"jmarter" wrote:
    Hey guys, I live in Iowa and was just watching the news. They had a short interview with Greenway. He made the comment that when he talked with Childress he was told that "it's not about the freak athlete, but rather about bringing effort and integrity to the field." Fresh change of pace isn't it?
    I love it.. Bring on minicamps!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]A look at the Vikings' first pick[/size]

Jon Krawczynski, Associated Press
    Last update: April 29, 2006 – 2:43 PM

The Vikings' biggest need was at linebacker, and that's where they went with their first round draft pick on Saturday.

The Vikings selected Iowa outside linebacker Chad Greenway with the 17th selection, giving them the playmaker they sorely lack at the position.

Dontarrious Thomas and Napoleon Harris have been disappointments with the Vikings, and this draft offered them ample opportunity to upgrade. Linebacker was considered one of the deepest positions in the field, and Greenway was one of four to go in the top 18 picks.

Green Bay selected Ohio State's A.J. Hawk at No. 5 and Florida State's Ernie Sims went to Detroit at No. 9. The Vikings followed with Greenway and Dallas picked Ohio State's Bobby Carpenter immediately after them.

The Vikings also were believed to be in discussions about trading up to get one of the three high-profile quarterbacks available to groom as an eventual successor to Brad Johnson.

But Denver was the team that made the move on Saturday, trading up from 15 to 11 to take Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler.

Vince Young went to Tennessee at No. 3 and Arizona selected USC's Matt Leinart with the 10th pick.

The Vikings were more than happy to take Greenway, and the many fans at the team's Winter Park headquarters for the draft party were elated. The field house filled with cheers after commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced the selection, with fans knowing their team filled the biggest hole it had left after a busy offseason in free agency.

They signed 10 players and filled openings on the offensive line, at running back, kicker and safety.

Even after signing San Diego linebacker Ben Leber, the Vikings were still searching for an impact player to headline the unit that also has the steady but unspectacular E.J. Henderson in the middle.

A look at the Vikings' first pick

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

[size=18px]Iowa coach says don't be quick to judge Greenway's speed[/size]

Too slow? Heck no, says Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz, who challenges naysayers to watch film of the Vikings' newest linebacker.

On The Nfl
    Mark Craig
    Star Tribune
    Last update: April 29, 2006 – 11:31 PM

The Vikings had just selected Iowa outside linebacker Chad Greenway when owner Zygi Wilf walked into the makeshift media room in the lobby at Winter Park. He smiled, looked around and joked that he wanted to bring defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin with him.
    "I couldn't," Wilf said, "he's jumping around the building."

Apparently, that's how well Greenway fits the Tampa 2 defensive scheme that Tomlin brought with him from the Bucs. We'll see.

Tomlin wasn't made available to discuss Greenway's speed, a prerequisite to playing linebacker in the Tampa 2. But Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz called with some reassurance for those who can't get past the 4.78 40-yard dash that Greenway ran at the scouting combine in February.

"He didn't have the best track shoes on that day," Ferentz said. "Just go back and look at the game films. He's not a 4.7 player. Not even close."

Greenway said he wore a track shoe at the combine, but changed to football spikes when he ran on the same type of surface for his pro day in Iowa City on March 20. He said he ran a 4.51. The Vikings clocked him at 4.55, according to Fran Foley, the team's vice president of player personnel.

"I've always found that 40 at the combine to be more detrimental than anything," Ferentz said. "His 4.5s at the pro day were much more representative of his speed. Either way, my experience when I was coaching in the NFL is the people who do the best job of picking players rely on the films."

Greenway had a career-high 156 tackles in 2005. That's the third-most in Iowa history. He also became the first Hawkeyes linebacker to be drafted in any round since 1990.

"He's the most athletic linebacker we've had here in my seven years," Ferentz said. "He was all-Big Ten at linebacker, but if we had three other linebackers, he would have been all-Big Ten at tight end. No question."

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Greenway "plays linebacker the way it should be played." He projects Greenway as an outside linebacker, but wouldn't say if he'll play on the weak side or the strong side.

"I think his best spot probably is on the weak side," Ferentz said. "But I also think he can play up on the tight end, too."

Greenway said he played some Cover 2 at Iowa and is comfortable with it. The defense requires linebackers to sometimes drop deeply and cover the pass.

"I think I have the speed to play it, definitely," Greenway said. "I think it will be a great fit. I think I have an exciting upside for a linebacker who can make some plays."

The Vikings weren't the only NFC North team looking for outside linebackers early in the draft. The first three linebackers off the board went to Green Bay at No. 5 (Ohio State's A.J. Hawk) and Detroit at No. 9 (Florida State's Ernie Sims).

Hawk was considered the best of a strong crop of linebackers and a top five lock. After that, there was some debate as to whether Sims or Greenway would be selected next.

Like the Vikings, the Lions are switching to the Tampa 2. New head coach Rod Marinelli was the Bucs' defensive coordinator. Tomlin was his defensive backs coach.

Sims is 5-11, 231 and ran a 4.54. Foley refused to say how the team ranked the linebackers on their board, but Sims is believed to have been ranked behind Greenway because of character concerns. He was arrested for domestic battery last year.

"Detroit didn't show any interest," Greenway said. "I guess [the Lions] decided Sims would be a better fit because he's a little smaller and I guess they say he's a little quicker. But I wouldn't mind racing him."

Iowa coach says don't be quick to judge Greenway's speed

FavreSucks! is offline Training Camp

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]Iowa coach says don't be quick to judge Greenway's speed[/size]

Too slow? Heck no, says Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz, who challenges naysayers to watch film of the Vikings' newest linebacker.

On The Nfl
    Mark Craig
    Star Tribune
    Last update April 29, 2006 – 1131 PM

The Vikings had just selected Iowa outside linebacker Chad Greenway when owner Zygi Wilf walked into the makeshift media room in the lobby at Winter Park. He smiled, looked around and joked that he wanted to bring defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin with him.
    "I couldn't," Wilf said, "he's jumping around the building."

Apparently, that's how well Greenway fits the Tampa 2 defensive scheme that Tomlin brought with him from the Bucs. We'll see.

Tomlin wasn't made available to discuss Greenway's speed, a prerequisite to playing linebacker in the Tampa 2. But Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz called with some reassurance for those who can't get past the 4.78 40-yard dash that Greenway ran at the scouting combine in February.

"He didn't have the best track shoes on that day," Ferentz said. "Just go back and look at the game films. He's not a 4.7 player. Not even close."

Greenway said he wore a track shoe at the combine, but changed to football spikes when he ran on the same type of surface for his pro day in Iowa City on March 20. He said he ran a 4.51. The Vikings clocked him at 4.55, according to Fran Foley, the team's vice president of player personnel.

"I've always found that 40 at the combine to be more detrimental than anything," Ferentz said. "His 4.5s at the pro day were much more representative of his speed. Either way, my experience when I was coaching in the NFL is the people who do the best job of picking players rely on the films."

Greenway had a career-high 156 tackles in 2005. That's the third-most in Iowa history. He also became the first Hawkeyes linebacker to be drafted in any round since 1990.

"He's the most athletic linebacker we've had here in my seven years," Ferentz said. "He was all-Big Ten at linebacker, but if we had three other linebackers, he would have been all-Big Ten at tight end. No question."

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Greenway "plays linebacker the way it should be played." He projects Greenway as an outside linebacker, but wouldn't say if he'll play on the weak side or the strong side.

"I think his best spot probably is on the weak side," Ferentz said. "But I also think he can play up on the tight end, too."

Greenway said he played some Cover 2 at Iowa and is comfortable with it. The defense requires linebackers to sometimes drop deeply and cover the pass.

"I think I have the speed to play it, definitely," Greenway said. "I think it will be a great fit. I think I have an exciting upside for a linebacker who can make some plays."

The Vikings weren't the only NFC North team looking for outside linebackers early in the draft. The first three linebackers off the board went to Green Bay at No. 5 (Ohio State's A.J. Hawk) and Detroit at No. 9 (Florida State's Ernie Sims).

Hawk was considered the best of a strong crop of linebackers and a top five lock. After that, there was some debate as to whether Sims or Greenway would be selected next.

Like the Vikings, the Lions are switching to the Tampa 2. New head coach Rod Marinelli was the Bucs' defensive coordinator. Tomlin was his defensive backs coach.

Sims is 5-11, 231 and ran a 4.54. Foley refused to say how the team ranked the linebackers on their board, but Sims is believed to have been ranked behind Greenway because of character concerns. He was arrested for domestic battery last year.

"Detroit didn't show any interest," Greenway said. "I guess [the Lions] decided Sims would be a better fit because he's a little smaller and I guess they say he's a little quicker. But I wouldn't mind racing him."

Iowa coach says don't be quick to judge Greenway's speed
    Good choice!!!! I liked Willams from Memphis, but Greenwa will fit right in!

FavreSucks! is offline Training Camp

Ya Chad Greenway's from my state, SOUTH DAKOTA. He played high school ball for Mount Vernon. Man, they had a big party for him up in Mitchell,SD. I should of went.

[size=18px]Greenway appears to be perfect for Childress regime[/size]

Iowa linebacker Chad Greenway is the perfect fit for the Vikings.

Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 29, 2006 – 11:49 PM

Iowa linebacker Chad Greenway is the perfect fit for the Vikings.
    He grew up playing nine-man football, and the Vikings defense has looked shorthanded for years.

Judging by draft day developments, it appears the Vikings' Legion of Large Lobes could have traded up to get the quarterback they reportedly coveted -- Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler. They declined.

It appears they could have traded up three spots in the second round to land USC power back LenDale White. They abstained.

When the Vikings did trade up, it was to take Alabama State quarterback Tarvaris Jackson in the second round. Trade up, to draft a long-term project?

This is why critiquing a draft is treacherous. I think the Vikings are crazy to trade away draft depth needed to fix a flawed team for a quarterback who might take three years to develop.

If the guy becomes Steve McNair, though, the Vikings will look brilliant by the time they move to Los Angeles.

Greenway fills a need -- the Vikes dumped their only two competent linebackers from last year, Sam Cowart and Keith Newman.

Greenway fits the promised Brad Childress mold -- he's a Midwestern boy raised in South Dakota who may be willing to sign a restraining order keeping illicit boat parties and Original Whizzinators 200 yards away at all times.

Greenway fits the Vikings' new defensive system -- despite his slow 40-yard-dash times at the NFL scouting combine, anybody who has watched him play in person knows he covers plenty of ground.

Greenway fits the demographic -- both of the Vikings' new linebackers, free agent Ben Leber and Greenway, hail from South Dakota, the state known for "Mount Rushmore" and a few "buildings."

Greenway passes the draft-day common-sense test -- he's a guy who proved himself by making tackles and interceptions, not lifting weights and answering questions about the air speed of an African swallow.

And Greenway is a charming story. He grew up in Mount Vernon, S.D., home to 450. I "Googled" Mount Vernon, South Dakota, attractions, and the first two listings started with "Corn Palace."

I am not making that up.

Greenway should be instantly recognizable to Minnesotans. He's blown up more Gopher holes than Bill Murray, mashing Laurence Maroney and Gary Russell last fall in Iowa City.

Greenway did not miss tackles, and when a Minnesota pass got tipped near him, he reached out with one of his 9 ½ inch hands -- you could look it up -- and snagged the ball like a can of soup off a shelf.

Greenway didn't test as one of the strongest or fastest linebackers in the draft, and that's a concern. Great NFL outside linebackers are capable of blitzing quarterbacks, covering tight ends and flattening backs.

A good backstory won't mean much if Greenway gets run over by Thomas Jones, but Greenway's is the story of a small-town kid who dreamed of NFL glory and ce-ment ponds.

Saturday, he tried calling the Vikings to speak to reporters on Saturday, but his voice cut out abruptly. Apparently, he drove by Mount Vernon's building.

With their second pick in the draft, the Vikings chose Texas cornerback Cedric Griffin, who was, according to Pro Football Weekly, arrested for interfering with an emergency phone call in October, 2003. Childress is hoping it wasn't a ship-to-shore call.

With the pick they acquired in the Daunte Culpepper trade, the Vikings chose New Mexico offensive lineman Ryan Cook, described by a couple of scouting reports as a project.

"Culpepper for Cook." Doesn't that sound like, "Manhattan for trinkets?"

At least Cook's not working out near a parking lot in Florida, like some annoying former Pro Bowl quarterbacks we know.

After using the Culpepper pick to take Cook, the Vikings used their two third-round picks to trade up for Travaris "Who'd They Take?" Jackson.

That pick will prove to be brilliance or buffoonery.

Director of college scouting Scott Studwell and regional scout Frank Gilliam are rational men.

Fran Foley, the self-described acquirer and procurer? Perhaps in time we will look back on the day he reinvented the methodology of the NFL draft.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. [email protected]

Greenway appears to be perfect for Childress regime

[size=18px]Greenway is perfect fit for Vikings[/size]

By Eric Krupka on May 2, 2006 12:37 AM
    REALFOOTBALL365

On Saturday, the Minnesota Vikings used their first-round pick, No. 17 overall, on linebacker Chad Greenway. The Iowa product, who hails from Mount Vernon, South Dakota, was the ideal player for the Vikings. He fits the biggest need on the team at linebacker, and has all the qualities to become a dominant player for years to come.

There was never any doubt that if the “big three” quarterbacks were gone the Vikings would go linebacker at No. 17. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler were all off the board; and with linebacker Ernie Sims selected by the Detroit Lions at No. 9, the only sensible choice was Greenway.

It may be a blessing in disguise that Greenway was sitting there for the taking. He has tremendous character to go along with his fiery play on the field and tremendous football skills, all of which are qualities the Vikings and head coach Brad Childress are looking for as they look to rebuild on and off the field.

“When I took my visit here and had a chance to sit down with Coach Childress and see what he was looking for in a player, he talked a lot about character and about being good on and off the field and carrying the face of the franchise, and that's something I want to bring. I want to bring high character, a high work ethic and be a good player too,” said Greenway.

At Iowa Greenway excelled on and off the field. The 6’4” 244 pounder had a remarkable senior season, racking up 156 tackles, 10 tackles for losses, two sacks, eight passes defended, and an interception. He plays with a non-stop motor reminiscent of legendary defensive tackle John Randle and the late great Kansas City Chiefs linebacker, Derrick Thomas. In today's league, Greenway is probably most similar to consistently solid Miami Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas. Greenway has a hunger to learn and improve, and he is an ardent film watcher, studying the tendencies of opposing teams and players. He is the consummate team player, and gives maximum effort on every single play. To go along with those fine qualities, Greenway possesses incredibly high football intelligence, which mirrors having another coach on the field.

Aside from his high energy, non-stop, astute play, the most important reason Greenway is perfect for the Minnesota Vikings is that he fits their new "Tampa 2" defense. He'll be the final piece of the Vikings' defensive jigsaw puzzle, which has seen vast improvements in personnel over the last two offseasons. He is fast, has exceptional coverage skills, and plays exceptionally well sideline to sideline. Because of his ability to fit the Vikes' defense, Greenway will come in and start right away, alongside linebackers E.J. Henderson and Ben Leber.

After being drafted by the Vikings, Greenway made a comment that will surely endear him to the Minnesota faithful for years to come.

“I know we got some Packer fans around here, but you're going to have to switch over. To be honest with you, you're all going to have to get rid of that Packer crap.”

Comments like these will only further the swagger and confidence Greenway brings to the Minnesota defense. The Vikings haven’t had a true ball hawk at the linebacker position since the days of Jack Del Rio and Ed McDaniel. Greenway now has the chance to etch his name into the list of all-time great Vikings defenders. Hopefully one day he will see his name among the likes of Paul Krause, Jim Marshall, and Alan Page in the “Vikings Ring of Honor.”

Greenway definitely has the talent and potential to do so. Only time will tell how the youngster's career unfolds.

-Send your comments to Eric Krupka at [email protected]

Greenway is perfect fit for Vikings

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

I am so pumped about Greenway! I've got some teammates who are from Mt. Vernon and they said Greenway told their coach that if he went in the first round he would donate money to the program to build them a new field and bleachers. He seems like a great guy with his priorities straight! Hopefully he can stay on the straight and narrow and be a great linebacker for the Vikes for years to come!
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"If the guy becomes Steve McNair, though, the Vikings will look brilliant by the time they move to Los Angeles."

He just had to throw that in.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456