Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: We sould be looking at Culpepper as Backup QB(didnt see this topic first 6 pages

well that happends when I discover a new pastime. And I don't seem to be looking at taking up golf anytime soon.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Re: We sould be looking at Culpepper as Backup QB(didnt see this topic first 6 p

Culpepper + Tarvaris.

Awesome. We could have two QBs that can't read a defense.
    :

Re: We sould be looking at Culpepper as Backup QB(didnt see this topic first 6 pages

I disagree completely with the statement in the title of this thread.
    As has been mentioned many times, Culpepper doesn't have a realistic chance of being brought back here due to certain amounts of "baggage," regardless of where his skills stack up against other potential QBs we could bring in.

But I kind of like Culpepper as a player, so I was thinking about where he might actually end up.
    There's a pretty good chance he returns to Oakland, and that's an okay fit for him.
    The Raiders are tied to Jamarcus Russell for (at least) the next 3 years, but an injury to 'the fat one' would put Daunte on the field.
    So I think the advantages of some stability (in Oakland?) and a tight grip on the #2 spot make Oakland the best option.
    But here are my top 5 destinations for Daunte Culpepper if he doesn't return to Oakland (team - current QBs - "analysis"):

1. Atlanta - Redman/Harrington/Leftwich - If Atlanta waits until round 2 or later in the draft to go after a QB, then Daunte would have a reasonable chance to earn the #2 spot in training camp.
    He would then see playing time if Redman were hurt or struggled during the first 1/2 of the season or so.

2. Baltimore - McNair/Smith - If Baltimore waits to go after a QB in the draft and Steve McNair were cut, then Culpepper could actually have a chance to come in and win the starting job for the first part of the season.
    Even if McNair remains the starter, Culpepper could earn the #2 spot, relying on McNair's injury prone bones (1 complete season in past 5 years) to do the rest.

3. San Francisco - Smith/Hill - The 49ers are still trying to make the Alex Smith experiment work, so there's a good chance they won't go after a QB in the first 3 rounds.
    If they don't there may be room on the roster for another veteran QB.
    If Culpepper could get on that roster, even as a #3, he would have a good chance to find the field this year.

4. Carolina - Delhomme/Moore - Delhomme is definately still the man in Carolina, but he missed time the past two seasons with injury (including 13 games last year due to an elbow injury).
    Culpepper would have a good chance to grab the #2 spot and then see time at some point during the year.

5. Chicago - Grossman/Orton - Chicago is another team that could go QB in round 2 or 3, which would fill out their roster.
    If they don't, then Culpepper could fit on this roster.
    Without any receivers, these two QBs will likely struggle at least as much as past years which would provide the opportunity to play.

If you read that, then you'll understand why I think that Daunte should wait until after the draft to look for a team, as that could greatly affect his chances at earning a roster spot wherever he goes.
    And even though he might be better than 9 of the 12 other QBs I've mentioned for these 6 teams, I don't think he's likely to find a starting spot anywhere.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Re: We sould be looking at Culpepper as Backup QB(didnt see this topic first 6 p

"Overlord" wrote:
    I disagree completely with the statement in the title of this thread.
    As has been mentioned many times, Culpepper doesn't have a realistic chance of being brought back here due to certain amounts of "baggage," regardless of where his skills stack up against other potential QBs we could bring in.

But I kind of like Culpepper as a player, so I was thinking about where he might actually end up.
    There's a pretty good chance he returns to Oakland, and that's an okay fit for him.
    The Raiders are tied to Jamarcus Russell for (at least) the next 3 years, but an injury to 'the fat one' would put Daunte on the field.
    So I think the advantages of some stability (in Oakland?) and a tight grip on the #2 spot make Oakland the best option.
    But here are my top 5 destinations for Daunte Culpepper if he doesn't return to Oakland (team - current QBs - "analysis"):

1. Atlanta - Redman/Harrington/Leftwich - If Atlanta waits until round 2 or later in the draft to go after a QB, then Daunte would have a reasonable chance to earn the #2 spot in training camp.
    He would then see playing time if Redman were hurt or struggled during the first 1/2 of the season or so.

2. Baltimore - McNair/Smith - If Baltimore waits to go after a QB in the draft and Steve McNair were cut, then Culpepper could actually have a chance to come in and win the starting job for the first part of the season.
    Even if McNair remains the starter, Culpepper could earn the #2 spot, relying on McNair's injury prone bones (1 complete season in past 5 years) to do the rest.

3. San Francisco - Smith/Hill - The 49ers are still trying to make the Alex Smith experiment work, so there's a good chance they won't go after a QB in the first 3 rounds.
    If they don't there may be room on the roster for another veteran QB.
    If Culpepper could get on that roster, even as a #3, he would have a good chance to find the field this year.

4. Carolina - Delhomme/Moore - Delhomme is definately still the man in Carolina, but he missed time the past two seasons with injury (including 13 games last year due to an elbow injury).
    Culpepper would have a good chance to grab the #2 spot and then see time at some point during the year.

5. Chicago - Grossman/Orton - Chicago is another team that could go QB in round 2 or 3, which would fill out their roster.
    If they don't, then Culpepper could fit on this roster.
    Without any receivers, these two QBs will likely struggle at least as much as past years which would provide the opportunity to play.

If you read that, then you'll understand why I think that Daunte should wait until after the draft to look for a team, as that could greatly affect his chances at earning a roster spot wherever he goes.
    And even though he might be better than 9 of the 12 other QBs I've mentioned for these 6 teams, I don't think he's likely to find a starting spot anywhere.
    After the regular season ended I actually was thinking Daunte might go to Baltimore.
    I think he might actually be able to make an impact with the Ravens.
    Although Daunte to the Bears would just be entertaining.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234