Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    VikingGuy43 is offline Rookie

We need to draft Ahmad Brooks!

http://blogs.foxsports.com/RaiderJon/2006/05/03/What_about_Ahmad_Brooks

Ahmad Brooks will likely enter in the NFL Supplemental Draft this Summer. He certainly seems like a better prospect then Milford Brown (2002), Tony Hollings (2003), and Manuel Wright (2005).

Some great players were taken through the Supplemental draft: Bernie Kosar (1985), Hall of Fame WR Cris Carter (1987), Rob Moore (1990, Pro Bowl Nose Tackle Jamal Williams (1997).

Is Ahmad Brooks next? Brooks is so talented, he returned two kickoffs in 2004; something many linebackers are not talented enough to do. Physically he is comparable to Brian Urlacher and can be used as a 3rd down pass rusher on the line, and move to outside linebacker. The two biggest concerns on Brooks are his health and character concerns. Physically he is ready, but is he tough enough or is he a player that can play well only when he is healthy ala Anthony Simmons? His character issues are a major concern, but nothing close to being Marcus Vick or Maurice Clarett. The concern is the marijuana. Is he Ricky Williams or like Randy Moss, smokes the stuff “every blue moon?”

If he can impress scouts with his measurable and prove that he is not all about the cannabis, a team might use a second or third round pick. Physically he is capable of displaying a Vernon Davis-type work out.

Check out this video of Brooks: Unbelievable football sack

Vitals:
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 260
    Positions: LB

C.D. Hylton High School
    Recorded 207 tackles, including 144 solos, 34 for loss and three sacks. Had an interception and 16 quarterback pressures and forced five fumbles, recovering two. "Ahmad cannot be blocked. When shedding blockers, he sends offensive linemen airborne," coach Bill Brown says. Brooks' father, Perry, was a defensive lineman for the Washington Redskins. Missed most of his junior season (2000) with a broken ankle. 2001 All-USA football team

Hargrave Military Academy
    2002: 117 tackles, 4 sacks, 15 quarterback hurries

Virginia
    2003: 13 games started, 117 tackles, 4 sacks, 15 quarterback hurries
    2004: 12 games started, 90 tackles, 8 sacks, 11 quarterback hurries, 2 INT’s. Notes - finalist for the Dick Butkus award (Derrick Johnson). Decided to return to school despite being projected as a high first-round pick in the 2005 draft.
    2005: 5 games started, 27 tackles, 1 sack, 5 quarterback hurries, 4 pass deflected. Notes - Underwent knee surgery on his right knee missing numerous games.

January 14 - Announced he would be returning to Virginia for his final year.
    March 28 - Dismissed from the Virginia football team for misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

- Even though he is only a junior he would probably be the top linebacker prospect (if healthy) for the 2006 NFL Draft. Brooks has been the leading tackler for the Cavs for the last 2 years. Runs a 4.47 forty, has a 325 pound bench and a 41 inch vertical jump, a truly awesome size speed ratio. Powerful hitter and an effective pass rusher, but what makes him so special is his ability to fade back and (pass) cover Running backs and Tight Ends. He would be the type of player you would never have to take out of a game. Reminds you of Ray Lewis
    Nfldraftblitz.com

- There aren’t many negatives with Brooks. The obvious one is experience, as he has only played two seasons at the college level. Even that may be overrated, as he played at Hargrave for a year, and he has started every game he’s played in during his two years at Virginia.

Ahmad Brooks is a great prospect, whenever he declares. He should be a Top 20 pick if he declares this year. With his size, athleticism, and versatility, it’s hard to not see Brian Urlacher. Brooks is that type of talent, and he’s going to be an excellent NFL linebacker.

football'sfuture.com

After reading this article and seeing this guy play in the past I am 100% in favor of us drafting this guy. He has similiar size to Shawne Merriman except he plays Middle Linebacker instead of outside. Last time I checked our middle linebackers suck, and it would be an awesome move for the Vikes to step up and draft this guy. Character issues or not, he is a freak. A linebacker who weighs 260 athletic enough to return kicks? Anytime you are saying a guy has the chance to be a Ray Lewis or a Brian Urlacher, and has the ability to put up a Vernon Davis type workout he is worth the chance. A 4.47 40 yd dash and a 41 inch vertical... sounds like LaVar style athleticism. He is also suppossedly pretty good in coverage which would be a perfect fit for the Cover 2 that we are going to be playing.

I personally would even be willing to consider selecting him in the 1st round of the supplemental draft. I have already read elsewhere that the Patriots are considering it. Putting Brooks and Greenway next to each other would give the Vikes a young and athletic LB duo. When is the last time we had that? I love the way Nick Saban is taking chances on players down in Miami... I really think it is going to pan out for him... I only hope that Childress is willing to do the same thing although I doubt it due to Onterrio and the Love Boat.

Re: We need to draft Ahmad Brooks!

By the way... be sure to watch the video by going to the link at that site. The only 2 other guys that I have ever seen do what Brooks does in that video are Lavar Arrington and Roy Williams and the last time I checked they ended up being some pretty good NFL players.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingGuy43" wrote:

Ahmad Brooks will likely enter in the NFL Supplemental Draft this Summer. He certainly seems like a better prospect then Milford Brown (2002), Tony Hollings (2003), and Manuel Wright (2005).

Some great players were taken through the Supplemental draft: Bernie Kosar (1985), Hall of Fame WR Cris Carter (1987), Rob Moore (1990, Pro Bowl Nose Tackle Jamal Williams (1997).

Is Ahmad Brooks next? Brooks is so talented, he returned two kickoffs in 2004; something many linebackers are not talented enough to do. Physically he is comparable to Brian Urlacher and can be used as a 3rd down pass rusher on the line, and move to outside linebacker. The two biggest concerns on Brooks are his health and character concerns. Physically he is ready, but is he tough enough or is he a player that can play well only when he is healthy ala Anthony Simmons? His character issues are a major concern, but nothing close to being Marcus Vick or Maurice Clarett. The concern is the marijuana. Is he Ricky Williams or like Randy Moss, smokes the stuff “every blue moon?”

If he can impress scouts with his measurable and prove that he is not all about the cannabis, a team might use a second or third round pick. Physically he is capable of displaying a Vernon Davis-type work out.

Vitals:

C.D. Hylton High School
    Recorded 207 tackles, including 144 solos, 34 for loss and three sacks. Had an interception and 16 quarterback pressures and forced five fumbles, recovering two. "Ahmad cannot be blocked. When shedding blockers, he sends offensive linemen airborne," coach Bill Brown says. Brooks' father, Perry, was a defensive lineman for the Washington Redskins. Missed most of his junior season (2000) with a broken ankle. 2001 All-USA football team

Virginia
    2004: 12 games started, 90 tackles, 8 sacks, 11 quarterback hurries, 2 INT’s. Notes - finalist for the slick willy Butkus award (Derrick Johnson). Decided to return to school despite being projected as a high first-round pick in the 2005 draft.
    2005: 5 games started, 27 tackles, 1 sack, 5 quarterback hurries, 4 pass deflected. Notes - Underwent knee surgery on his right knee missing numerous games.

March 28 - Dismissed from the Virginia football team for misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

- Even though he is only a junior he would probably be the top linebacker prospect (if healthy) for the 2006 NFL Draft. Brooks has been the leading tackler for the Cavs for the last 2 years. Runs a 4.47 forty, has a 325 pound bench and a 41 inch vertical jump, a truly awesome size speed ratio. Powerful hitter and an effective pass rusher, but what makes him so special is his ability to fade back and (pass) cover Running backs and Tight Ends. He would be the type of player you would never have to take out of a game. Reminds you of Ray Lewis
    Nfldraftblitz.com

- There aren’t many negatives with Brooks. The obvious one is experience, as he has only played two seasons at the college level. Even that may be overrated, as he played at Hargrave for a year, and he has started every game he’s played in during his two years at Virginia.

Ahmad Brooks is a great prospect, whenever he declares. He should be a Top 20 pick if he declares this year. With his size, athleticism, and versatility, it’s hard to not see Brian Urlacher. Brooks is that type of talent, and he’s going to be an excellent NFL linebacker.

football'sfuture.com

After reading this article and seeing this guy play in the past I am 100% in favor of us drafting this guy. He has similiar size to Shawne Merriman except he plays Middle Linebacker instead of outside. Last time I checked our middle linebackers suck, and it would be an awesome move for the Vikes to step up and draft this guy. Character issues or not, he is a freak. A linebacker who weighs 260 athletic enough to return kicks? Anytime you are saying a guy has the chance to be a Ray Lewis or a Brian Urlacher, and has the ability to put up a Vernon Davis type workout he is worth the chance. A 4.47 40 yd dash and a 41 inch vertical... sounds like LaVar style athleticism. He is also suppossedly pretty good in coverage which would be a perfect fit for the Cover 2 that we are going to be playing.

I personally would even be willing to consider selecting him in the 1st round of the supplemental draft. I have already read elsewhere that the Patriots are considering it. Putting Brooks and Greenway next to each other would give the Vikes a young and athletic LB duo. When is the last time we had that? I love the way Nick Saban is taking chances on players down in Miami... I really think it is going to pan out for him... I only hope that Childress is willing to do the same thing although I doubt it due to Onterrio and the Love Boat.
    IF he can play in the middle and be effective, I say "GO FOR IT!!!"...though we probably should wait until the second round so that we cover our butts in case he doesn't pan out...I doubt that any other teams will take him in the first round.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I've voted how I think the Vikes will look at him, which would be not to take him on the basis of his character issues.

Also, starting 2 rookies at linebacker? Risky, risky move. I'm not saying I don't like him, because I think he looks really good.. But I'd be surprised if he is wearing Purple in the Pros in September.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "VikingGuy43" wrote:

Vitals:

C.D. Hylton High School

Virginia
    2004: 12 games started, 90 tackles, 8 sacks, 11 quarterback hurries, 2 INT’s. Notes - finalist for the slick willy Butkus award (Derrick Johnson). Decided to return to school despite being projected as a high first-round pick in the 2005 draft.

Nfldraftblitz.com

football'sfuture.com

IF he can play in the middle and be effective, I say "GO FOR IT!!!"...though we probably should wait until the second round so that we cover our butts in case he doesn't pan out...I doubt that any other teams will take him in the first round.
    If he is available in the 2nd round and we don't take him I am going to be irate at Childress for being unwilling to take on the challenge of this guy. I really think he is going to be pretty impressive in the NFL. I was shocked when he didn't enter the draft this year. I had heard rumblings that he would have even gone ahead of AJ Hawk.

"Benet" wrote:
    I've voted how I think the Vikes will look at him, which would be not to take him on the basis of his character issues.

Also, starting 2 rookies at linebacker? Risky, risky move. I'm not saying I don't like him, because I think he looks really good.. But I'd be surprised if he is wearing Purple in the Pros in September.
    Yeah... I agree. The Vikes are probably not going to take him unless they absolutely believe he is going to be awesome or else that the current LB's on our roster are really that bad (which I believe to be the case).

I think the starting 2 rookies is definitely risky too but it isn't only about this year. Drafting this guy would give us youthful Linebackers for years to come even if they struggled this season.

howkings is offline Rookie

Maybe Ontario can let him borrow his Whizzinator. It seems like too big of a gamble for the Vikes at this time.

Pats may look at Edwards, Brooks
    By Albert Breer/ Metrowest Daily News
    Sunday, May 21, 2006 - Updated: 11:31 AM EST

One thing everyone can forget about is a lush June 1 market in the NFL, because this year the cuts of the past aren’t as necessary now that the salary cap is close to $20 million more than it was in 2005.

Still, there could be several interesting players out there for the Patriots, including two at linebacker.

San Diego Chargers veteran Donnie Edwards and University of Virginia’s Ahmad Brooks both could pair with Tedy Bruschi inside, enabling Mike Vrabel to move back outside.

Edwards and the Chargers have reportedly been at odds throughout the offseason and a serious rift seems to have developed between he and general manager A.J. Smith.

Some expect San Diego to either waive or trade the 33-year-old, although Smith says he won’t.

Edwards is a bit light (6-foot-2, 227 pounds) but has played on the inside of the Chargers’ 3-4 scheme for the last four years and has posted more than 100 tackles for seven consecutive seasons. He played the final 10 games of last season with a torn meniscus (knee) and still registered 112 solo stops.

Brooks may be even more enticing. The 6-4, 260-pounder reportedly runs the 40 in the 4.5-second range.

So how would he be available? Well, old Bill Belichick friend and current Virginia coach Al Groh threw him off the Cavaliers’ roster during spring ball due to an unspecified off-field incident.

Such circumstances have haunted Brooks since he was in high school. The blue-chip recruit was forced to take a prep year before reporting to Virginia because of non-qualifying standardized test scores.cw0

Here are the plusses for Brooks:

He’s a rare talent who has extensive experience playing inside linebacker in a similar 3-4 model to the Patriots.

Before an injury-marred junior year, he was a Butkus Award finalist, first-team All-American and top 10 draft lock.

Because he planned to return to Virginia for his senior season and missed the draft deadline, Brooks will be available in the July 13 supplemental draft.

Brooks currently is working out with Atlanta trainer Chip Smith and has signed with an agent, so there’s no turning back.

The Patriots will be slotted to pick in the bottom 12 of each round, and if they exercise a first-rounder on Brooks - who may not even be available at that point - they forfeit their first-rounder in next April’s regular draft.

If they have him rated as high as some do, the freakish talent with good size and demeanor may just be worth it.

Here's the article to back up the possiblity of Brooks going in Round 1 of the Supplemental draft.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

F the Patsies!!! They got theirs...now it's time for some new blood...specifically the VIKES!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

I don't care who we take!! As long as he helps the team!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast