Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dibbzz is offline Starter

Re: Wasn't impressed by Newton in BCS Title game

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1087362
    I saw him make a handful of great throws throughout the game. He didn't get much help from his receivers though.

He can fit it in a tight window and has a strong arm. But he misses some easy throws, which bothers me. I don't know if it's inconsistent mechanics, or a mental thing.

I like what he brings to the table, he reminds me of Roethlisberger, but a much better athlete.

If he can read an NFL defense, he should be a good player.
    I've had a change of heart in regards to Cam Newton. At first I wasn't a big fan but after showing a lot of poise he's actually had a pretty impressive year. Not to mention the fact that Newton is a talent that has a huge upside. I also question whether or not he'll be able to pick up on our offensive scheme in time for Week 1 and undoubtedly there'll be growing pains but after watching the National Title Game and a lot of Video Highlights on him he definitely has the physical tools (6'6", 249 lbs this kid is a physical specimen), a cannon for an arm. I wish he stayed in the pocket a little more since that's going to get him killed in the NFL but I'm sure the coaching staff can help out with that. I think decision-making is going to be the biggest thing he needs to work on. I agree he needs to learn how to be able to check his reads and make sure somebody isn't wide open somewhere instead of just looking for the first option only and if it isn't there run down field. That kind of change can occur with a good coaching staff (hopefully) to tutor him of the nuances of being an NFL Quarterback and a lot of dedication, which this young kid also seems to have. I think he can possibly bring a lot of energy to a depleted Vikings fan-base that's completely down in the dumps right now after an abysmal season.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Dibbzz" #1087456
    I saw him make a handful of great throws throughout the game. He didn't get much help from his receivers though.

He can fit it in a tight window and has a strong arm. But he misses some easy throws, which bothers me. I don't know if it's inconsistent mechanics, or a mental thing.

I like what he brings to the table, he reminds me of Roethlisberger, but a much better athlete.

I've had a change of heart in regards to Cam Newton. At first I wasn't a big fan but after showing a lot of poise he's actually had a pretty impressive year. Not to mention the fact that Newton is a talent that has a huge upside. I also question whether or not he'll be able to pick up on our offensive scheme in time for Week 1 and undoubtedly there'll be growing pains but after watching the National Title Game and a lot of Video Highlights on him he definitely has the physical tools (6'6", 249 lbs this kid is a physical specimen), a cannon for an arm. I wish he stayed in the pocket a little more since that's going to get him killed in the NFL but I'm sure the coaching staff can help out with that. I think decision-making is going to be the biggest thing he needs to work on. I agree he needs to learn how to be able to check his reads and make sure somebody isn't wide open somewhere instead of just looking for the first option only and if it isn't there run down field. That kind of change can occur with a good coaching staff (hopefully) to tutor him of the nuances of being an NFL Quarterback and a lot of dedication, which this young kid also seems to have. I think he can possibly bring a lot of energy to a depleted Vikings fan-base that's completely down in the dumps right now after an abysmal season.

Are you willing to gamble on a high draft pick and 30-40 million in guaranteed money that it can be done?

Sajid28 is offline Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1087514
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dibbzz" #1087456

Are you willing to gamble on a high draft pick and 30-40 million in guaranteed money that it can be done?
    very true.. id feel more comfortable in giving that much money and years to someone who can truely grasp the system like a Mallet/Gabbert.. The thing is if we wanted one of those guys, we might have to trade up and with us being on the short end without a 3rd rounder that already puts us in a hole. It might be better for us to even trade down and grab a guy like locker and get more picks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123