Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

VP of player personnel Spielman talks Draft/FA

*When Florio pressed Spielman on his top internal free agent priorities not yet signed, Spielman singled out Ray Edwards as someone "who's been a very good player for us," then Rice. Perhaps Edwards is more of a priority to the team than Edwards lets on. The defensive end has said in the past he's not optimistic of a Vikings return. "We have a history of guys who are young who are coming into a second contract. Those are the guys historically we've tried to definitely keep," Speilman said.

*When it comes to that No. 12 pick, Spielman mentioned four positions that come to mind: quarterback, offensive line, defensive line and safety. That's about right. Then he said something that caught my eye: "Potentially if one of those receivers slides down to 12 and Sidney Rice doesn't return, there are things you can do to fill that need as well." He must be talking about Alabama's Julio Jones since Georgia's A.J. Green projects as a top-five pick. Maybe the team figures Jones has more upside than Rice.

*Since even the greatest running backs have a short shelf life, Spielman said the team drafted Toby Gerhart to relieve Adrian Peterson of the wear and tear through the years. The topic was about Peterson and a potential long-term contract.
    Vikings VP of player personnel Rick Spielman talks draft, free agency with Pro Football Talk
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re: VP of player personnel Spielman talks Draft/FA

I am liking pretty much everything he has to say. IF we were to keep Ray and/or Rice, thats one less spot to fill!

He seems pretty confident he knows who is going to be available, and then they'll talk about which player will help us the most. How many mock drafts do you suppose he does Marr? :laugh:

And he mentions that he and leslie put the final order in place together...

I like this part best:

Thats why, going into this thing, we're goona have such an open mind and stick true to our board once we stack those guys and take the
    best guy because we do have a lot of needs at some other areas besides quarterback...
    Music to my ears!!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/15/pft-live-vikings-analyzing-draft-possibilities/
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

I also saw the Paul Allen interview with Speilman... One thing in particular that stuck out to me was when the topic on DE's came up. Speilman said something about how they are also scouting 5 technique DEs (3-4 ends) and seeing if they'll eventually be able to play inside. I don't know what this means but it seems like he might be looking to resurrect this pass rush in 2011.
    None

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1093840
    I also saw the Paul Allen interview with Speilman... One thing in particular that stuck out to me was when the topic on DE's came up. Speilman said something about how they are also scouting 5 technique DEs (3-4 ends) and seeing if they'll eventually be able to play inside. I don't know what this means but it seems like he might be looking to resurrect this pass rush in 2011.
    Interesting. A guy with the frame to add weight who could hold up nicely vs. the run now at LDE, and maybe move inside later could be a perfect fit for us with Robison playing passing downs over there! Still not going for the Phat Pat-War Pig mold tho. Maybe to take some of the reps from K-Will's spot?

Whoa! Wild thought we maybe haven't hit upon yet? Maybe? Kevin Williams is Pat Williams' replacement!?

I've heard that people tend to put on 5 lbs per year or so. Although that average likely doesn't represent the average NFL player very well, I can tell you from experience that I went from a 160ish skiing/climbing bum to 220s by taking a more physical job. Sure, my beer belly is doing fine, but my legs, arms,and shoulders have grown more. And we tend to slow down with age anyway. Maybe the transition we've seen started is a natural progression...?

Could change what we're looking for there. And/or get us better value later in the draft...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1093841
    Interesting. A guy with the frame to add weight who could hold up nicely vs. the run now at LDE, and maybe move inside later could be a perfect fit for us with Robison playing passing downs over there! Still not going for the Phat Pat-War Pig mold tho. Maybe to take some of the reps from K-Will's spot?

Whoa! Wild thought we maybe haven't hit upon yet? Maybe? Kevin Williams is Pat Williams' replacement!?

I've heard that people tend to put on 5 lbs per year or so. Although that average likely doesn't represent the average NFL player very well, I can tell you from experience that I went from a 160ish skiing/climbing bum to 220s by taking a more physical job. Sure, my beer belly is doing fine, but my legs, arms,and shoulders have grown more. And we tend to slow down with age anyway. Maybe the transition we've seen started is a natural progression...?

Could change what we're looking for there. And/or get us better value later in the draft...
    I personally don't think we're going to replace Pat Williams.

The Tampa-2, should we decide to continue with it, relies heavily on getting a great pass rush from the front-4. If we can get two DT's who pose a real threat to disrupt the pocket from the inside, that can definitely help our defense improve greatly. yes, we might suffer a bit against the run (as we have been doing greatly the past couple years), but our pass D should improve.

I just think for us, the days of the giant 340lb nosetackle is dead.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093844

The Tampa-2, should we decide to continue with it, relies heavily on getting a great pass rush from the front-4. If we can get two DT's who pose a real threat to disrupt the pocket from the inside, that can definitely help our defense improve greatly. yes, we might suffer a bit against the run (as we have been doing greatly the past couple years), but our pass D should improve.

In a division where we have to defend three passing teams, I'd say you are right. Or I should say, I hope you are right.

But even with an improved pass rush we still need to start upgrading our defensive backfield. Just having one coverage corner could give us the flexibility to do so many other things besides the cover 2. Not only that, when Green Bay puts all those receivers on the field and spreads us out, we would be able to match up better.

My way of saying that player aquisition should primarily be focused on removing the advantages of the opponents in the NFCN. One example of that directed aquisition would be, Chicago obtaining a pass rusher who owns McKinnie, in Peppers.

If we can improve our pass rush and backend coverage we may be able to keep games close until our offense improves.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1093818
    How many mock drafts do you suppose he does Marr? :laugh:
    A full 7 rounds? Probably one or two, top 4 or 5 rounds, I bet alot.

You know what I would love to see though is their "Team Needs" and "Team Visits/Scouting reports" from what the other teams are looking at.

I think that is an area that is pretty hard for a cat like me to track as effectively as they do.

Long story short, I bet ole Ricky boy has a damn good idea that if player X comes off the board, team Y (that is picking next) will be taking player Z.

As Gil said the other day, most teams have the players ranked about the same. The slight differences in were they are ranked will be one player will fit one teams needs better than another based on the schemes they run.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Couple of thoughts....

As our good friend Mountainman said, A 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DE really only differ when you are looking at the 4-3 LDE in our base defense and would be able to drop down inside on 3rd and longs.

Some examples....
    Robert Quinn 6'4" 265 RDE43 OLB34
    Da'Quan Bowers 6'3" 278 LDE43 DE34
    J.J. Watt 6'5" 290 DE34 LDE43

A guy like Quinn isn't big enough to play the base LDE in our 4-3. He is better suited to play the RDE position. Bowers and Watt could anchor the LDE in our base and on those obvious passing downs, slip down inside allowing for a RDE (smaller faster) to step in at the LDE position on those obvious passing downs, much like we saw them doing with Rob of late..

On a side note, Bowers is projected to be a better fit ofr a 4-3 LDE than he is a DE in a 3-4 scheme and JJ Watt seems to be a better fit in a 3-4 scheme than he would in a 4-3.

K-dubb. I don't know if adding weight will help him much. If the intent is to move him in at the 0/3 technique instead of the more traditional 3/5 technique role, he sure sucked trying to do it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093844
    He is basically giving us 4 or 5 good reps a game. Do you think he should be able to take up a roster spot for that little production?

First, Dungy said that Pagac will not change the scheme. Could be a smoke screen, but so far, Leslie seems to suck at that part of the job and usually, IMHO says the truth.

Second, a big war pig, that can collapse the pocket is alot more disruptive, and makes the defense better against the pass that two inside pass rushers that demand only one blocker, especially if the pocket isn't getting pushed back into the QB's face.

I do to, however, that doesn't mean they aren't looking at a 0 technique guy to play DT for us.

2011 Warpigs....

#1 Nick Fairley DT Auburn 6ft 3.7in 297 4.87
    #2 Marcell Dareus DT Alabama 6ft 3.0in 306 4.85
    #3 Marvin Austin DT North Carolina 6ft 1.5in 309 4.90
    #4 Phil Taylor DT Baylor 6ft 2.7in 334 5.14
    #5 Stephen Paea DT Oregon State 6ft 1.2in 303 5.05
    #6 Drake Nevis DT Louisiana State 6ft 0.5in 294 4.97
    #7 Jerrell Powe DT Mississippi 6ft 1.6in 335 5.29
    #8 Corey Liuget DT Illinois 6ft 2.1in 298 4.99

All of these guys are considered pocket collapsers with Dareus, Austin, Taylor, Paea and Liguet being the best at it.

Taylor is the only "Big Body" in that bunch and he has tipped the scales as high as 360 at times so 337 is small for him.

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1093851
    In a division where we have to defend three passing teams, I'd say you are right. Or I should say, I hope you are right.

But even with an improved pass rush we still need to start upgrading our defensive backfield. Just having one coverage corner could give us the flexibility to do so many other things besides the cover 2. Not only that, when Green Bay puts all those receivers on the field and spreads us out, we would be able to match up better.
    Which is exactly why I don't understand that they aren't going to change the defensive scheme.

The best way to beat the Cover 2 (see the articles I posted above) is to flood the zones with Wr's and force the DB's to choose one over the other and throw to the one he elects not to take as he enters his zone.

By the way, it gets even worse for the DB's when we have to take a LB out of that mix (of covering the zones) when we have to use them in the Blitz Packages, as it increases the options that the DB has to pick and choose from and increases the number of open WR's the QB has to choose from.