Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vikesfan713 is offline Rookie

Re: A voice of reason

"Marrdro" wrote:
    One of things football fans tend to do during the offseason is complain about their favourite (Canadian spelling alert!) team not being active enough during free agency. This is something I've certainly been hearing about the Vikings.

Which is why I think Joe Fischer is right to point out that we shouldn't go out and kick the dog just because the [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Vikings haven't done much to improve themselves – other than sign their own free agents.[/size][/size][/size]

http://grants-tomb.blogspot.com/2009...of-reason.html

Which of our free agents are you refering to ???
    Klinesasser was good resign.
    you mean i drop the 3yd passes tahi??
    i cant cover Griffin???? oh wait I say they resigned Grisby and benny sapp WOW Championship here we come

i will give you that i like the resign of kennedy and farwell
    as we let Sharper and birk just walk away.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ....Most people don't believe that the scouts and not the coaches actually spend time during the season and actually whittle down the players that they believe the coaches will like.
    The coaches then spend thier time looking at film and visiting with the candidates the FO pukes think will fill the need.

Those are then ranked according to Spielmans 22 flags...

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/...inate_pla.html

“It comes down from ownership, and comes down from Brad, and what type of players he wants in the locker room. And that’s my job, to make sure I understand what type of people we want on this football team,” Spielman said. “There’s always going to be issues here and there that crop up. But we do our due diligence.”
    Again, the Coaches say what they need and the VP and his scouts go find the right guys to fit the need.
    That's what has been said numerous times on here.
    Marr, you have been minimizing the coaches role forever.
    The Spielmans, Studwells, Stefanskis, etc. of the world are there to support the HC.
    They rank the BPA based on the positions the HC wants filled.
    Sure, this is done through meetings, but, the HC has the final say on the positions that are targeted.
    The supporting staff justifies their draft ranks based on the system and the skill set that any potential draftees possess.
    It really isn't that complicated.

Nice links and fun read overall.
    I agree with Prophet 100%. The coach tells him what to focus on. Spielman gives him a report. The coaching staff makes the pick.
    But that isn't correct My Sexy Little Pixie.

The VP of Player Personnel actually sends in the pick based on who is available and who they (the entire staff) have ranked at that spot.

For the life of me I can't understand why you guys believe the HC and not the VP runs the draft.
    Tell me another team were the coach runs it.
    He may make the pick or "send in the card" but it's chilly that's pretty much telling him through conversation and a consensus who that pick should be..

u actually think Jerry Jones sends in the card.. even though u sure as hell can be sure he's making the picks... same with al Davis..

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"vikesfan713" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    One of things football fans tend to do during the offseason is complain about their favourite (Canadian spelling alert!) team not being active enough during free agency. This is something I've certainly been hearing about the Vikings.

Which is why I think Joe Fischer is right to point out that we shouldn't go out and kick the dog just because the [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Vikings haven't done much to improve themselves – other than sign their own free agents.[/size][/size][/size]

http://grants-tomb.blogspot.com/2009...of-reason.html

Which of our free agents are you refering to ???
    Klinesasser was good resign.
    you mean i drop the 3yd passes tahi??
    i cant cover Griffin???? oh wait I say they resigned Grisby and benny sapp WOW Championship here we come

i will give you that i like the resign of kennedy and farwell
    as we let Sharper and birk just walk away.
    Not sure if you understand that is a para or two from the article and nothing I wrote..... :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

the other thing people need to remember is that we have so much cap room right now.
    remember there is a cap floor you must be over too so there is a lot of room they can work with

"vikesfan713" wrote:
    the other thing people need to remember is that we have so much cap room right now.
    remember there is a cap floor you must be over too so there is a lot of room they can work with
    i"m all for us signing our own guys, with a year or so on their contracts.. it keeps us from a bidding war in future years and loosing key cogs in our overall plan to keep continuity and leadership and rising stars and solid contributers.. and since there's noone left on FA, then sign our own guys.. might as well

yeah but we need tehn to make sure we sign them to heavy up front to eat up that cap room

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ....Most people don't believe that the scouts and not the coaches actually spend time during the season and actually whittle down the players that they believe the coaches will like.
    The coaches then spend thier time looking at film and visiting with the candidates the FO pukes think will fill the need.

“It comes down from ownership, and comes down from Brad, and what type of players he wants in the locker room. And that’s my job, to make sure I understand what type of people we want on this football team,” Spielman said. “There’s always going to be issues here and there that crop up. But we do our due diligence.”
    Again, the Coaches say what they need and the VP and his scouts go find the right guys to fit the need.
    The Spielmans, Studwells, Stefanskis, etc. of the world are there to support the HC.
    Sure, this is done through meetings, but, the HC has the final say on the positions that are targeted.
    The supporting staff justifies their draft ranks based on the system and the skill set that any potential draftees possess.

I agree with Prophet 100%. The coach tells him what to focus on. Spielman gives him a report. The coaching staff makes the pick.
    But that isn't correct my friend.

The VP of Player Personnel actually sends in the pick based on who is available and who they (the entire staff) have ranked at that spot.

For the life of me I can't understand why you guys believe the HC and not the VP runs the draft.
    Give me proof that Spielman selects which guy the team should get.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I think it's pretty much common knowledge that Chilly has authority as to final say.. it's just some pipe dream that some yutz's want to hold onto for the sake of being right all the time..
    ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Give me proof the HC does.

Seriously, in a typical GM/HC structure, who runs the draft and who makes the picks?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"marstc09" wrote:
    Alphonso Smith (CB): The mock drafts I've read say he's projected to be an immediate starter.
    Make our D feared. The offense is what is is.
    I'm on board with you on this one Mars.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast