Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: VikingTw's Season Analysis

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Steve Hutchison: might get too much credit for his pass blocking.
    Interesting.
    I tend to ignore his play and focused alot more on the 3 chuckleheads to his right.
    I will watch him a bit closer next year.

Anthony Hererra:
    Actually thought he had a solid year.
    Of course he made mistakes, all players do, but I thought he held them to an acceptable number.

Matt Birk: A solid season for Birk this year, I thought he probably had his best overall year since his injuries.
    A interesting way of putting it.

Otis Grigsby: Not sure I’m seeing enough stock in him for him to continue to be on the team with the high competition we have at the position. It will be tuff for him making the squad next season.
    I like Otis if for no other reason, because of his name.
    Probably not gonna be on the roster next year.
    I see this staff making some big improvements in the DT area and Otis's roster spot might be sacrified to make those.

Jayme Mitchell: Same goes for Mitchell especially considering he’s coming off a knee injury that’s really going to take awhile to fully recover from.
    Same applies here with respect to my comments on Otis.

Chad Greenway: Wow has this guy has been great, an extremely good draft choice and I felt that way when we selected him.
    The "I hate Chad" contingent has been silenced this year hasn't it......Both he and Leber deserve serious consideration for Co-MVP as they both stepped up as this staff basically played with only 2 good Lb'rs all year.

Another area were I think we are gonna see sweeping changes behind our starters......When a staff has to go out and pick guys off the street to be starters it doesn't bode well for your backups because it shows a serious lack of depth.

Rufus Alexander: Probably not completely healthy after the knee injury but I still thought he did more than Herron ever did in the preseason. I hope he can come back with a fully healthy knee and become a factor for us.
    I am tracking that he isn't on the roster and was picked up by another team.

Heath Farwell: Definitely missed on special teams and probably as EJ’s backup. Serious knee injury that usually takes 2 years to fully recover but should be fine to play next year. We need him.
    He was definately missed but his absence wasn't why our ST's sucked.
    Those issues start at the coaching level, move on to the kickers and then the coverage team.

I do find it interesting that everyone seems to think it was only the coverage unit cause he was missing when in fact alot of starters were on ST's that are starters on Defense who seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and missed tackles........Gotta be Heaths absence that caused that right?
    :

Cedric Griffin: Some want to replace him, I believe that’s a pipe dream. He’ll be a starter for years to come.
    Back to my comment on chuckleheads who want instant pro-bowlers.......Scary thing is that this kid hasn't even hit his prime.
    He still has 2 to 3 years before he finally will be at his peak.

Charles Gordon:
    That was a hell of an injury.
    I suspect that we have seen the last of Gordon, at least in Purple.
    I really would have like to watch his career unfold.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Benny Sapp: I wouldn’t mind having him back.
    A mild suprise IMHO.
    I really am looking forward to seeing what he does next year after the reps he got this year.

Marcus McCauley:
    Not sure if he’s going to rebound or turn his talent into a solid product.
    A bit of patience.
    This kid is still young and is trying to crack the code on one of the hardest positions on this roster with respect to talent and complexity.

I think we will see nice things from him as time wears on.

Madieu Williams:
    I think Spielman really earned his money this offseason after signing guys like M-will, BB and JA. Definately a upgrade at S and shut the "Don't let our S's go until you have a plan/leverage" crowd up.....

Again, a very nice effort.
    It is posts like this that keep me coming back to this site my friend.
    Keep em coming. ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

Darren Sharper: I enjoyed his time here, I like Sharper but I thought if at any time his skills diminished it was this season. I was very upset with the times he had an opportunity to make a play on the ball while it was lying on the ground and couldn’t get it done. He has been solid in deep coverage but hasn’t been tremendous either. I think his time has come, while we move on with youth. He also lacked open field tackling sometimes looking frozen in time.
    IMO, the biggest mistake the Vikings (Childress/Tomlin/Frazier) made with Sharper, was moving him from FS to SS.

In his 4 years here, he had 9 picks as a FS for the Vikings in 2005 (Tice) & has only had 9 total in 2006-2008 combined (Childress).

People like to harp on Sharper for not falling on 2 fumbles this year, but there were also opportunities for other players to do so. At least 1 of those fumbles rolled past him before he would have had a chance to pick it up or fall on it.

This past season, only Leber (4) had more fumble recoveries than Sharper (2).
    I almost agree with you My Sexy Little Pixie, problem for Sharp is that the S's have to be able to play both spots in this scheme.
    At least thats what the Chiller said in a link you provided.

Probably why the staff hasn't offered him a contract to date.
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Chiller Speak, much like Denny Speak, should be taken with a certain amount of skepticism.
    ;D
    :P

Granted I can see that Sharper has lost some speed (not tackling ability) but what happened here is Childress/Tomlin changed the scheme from 2005 to 2006 as well. Then he excelled.

Sharper is great when he is allowed to "free range". He was allowed to do that in GB & was handcuffed here in 2005 until Tice tore half the pages out of Cottrell's playbook.

What we have is a player who once "fit the scheme" but when Childress took over & the scheme was changed, he did not excel in that scheme.

It's just another prime example of not adjusting a scheme to coincide with the strength of your players. Hell, we've even seen Whinfield's numbers decline because of it.

The biggest beeyatch I have with Childress is that he forced new schemes down our players throats instead of catering them to utilize the best "strengths & talents" of our players.

In that respect, he has minimized, under utilized & "handcuffed" our teams potential all in the name of his., "It's my way or the highway", egotistical
    attitude.

Childress didn't build upon what he had inherited, but rather changed every facet of the way we played football.
    I think it is a double edged sword though don't you think?

Trying to modify your scheme you ultimately want to run just for a select few (who probably won't be around long) at the risk of slowing the kids progress who do fit the scheme, or to just go ahead and run your scheme so the guys who ultimately will have to run it for the long term will get it quicker and hope that the old vets can do a good enough job until a replacement for them can be found.

If one were to look at it from the standpoint of the bigger picture (grander vision) then one would see that the staffs approach is probably the right one, especially as we watch some of the first draft class really starting to shine thereby negating the need for the aged vets who really don't fit the scheme.

Of course, in all likelyhood, those very same Vets are probably gonna get you in trouble with fans who can't see that vision/focus as the vets numbers decline.

Long story short, kindof a necessary evil if you will when a team is gutted and a new scheme is implemented.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Rufus Alexander

Indianapolis Colts

Alexander was signed off the Vikings' practice squad by the Indianapolis Colts on December 2, 2008. On December 26, 2008, he was cut from the Colts' practice squad and then signed back onto the Colts' practice squad on December 30, 2008. Following the season, he was re-signed to a future contract on January 5, 2009.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:

The biggest bitch I have with Childress is that he forced new schemes down our players throats instead of catering them to utilize the best "strengths & talents" of our players.

In that respect, he has minimized, under utilized & "handcuffed" our teams potential all in the name of his., "It's my way or the highway", egotistical
    attitude.

Childress didn't build upon what he had inherited, but rather changed every facet of the way we played football.
    +1

That post is all that really needs to be said when referencing Childress.

It should be copied and pasted to the header at the top of the page

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

The biggest beeyatch I have with Childress is that he forced new schemes down our players throats instead of catering them to utilize the best "strengths & talents" of our players.

attitude.

+1

Why am I not suprised you agreed with him....... ;D ;D ;D

Anyone who contends that "The way we played football" pre Chiller, sure missed the mark with respect to what was not only happening, talent wise as well as scheme wise could see that team and scheme was going no where fast.

The last 3 years of that regime were the darkest of the team IMHO.

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

attitude.

+1

Anyone who contends that "The way we played football" pre Chiller, sure missed the mark with respect to what was not only happening, talent wise as well as scheme wise could see that team and scheme was going no where fast.

I'm calling BS on that.

There was no problem with the offensive scheme. Hell, it accomplished more with less talent than the KAO has wet dreamed about doing. The problem and you know it was that the owner spent no money on talent, let go of the best talent it had, and spent it's time trying to extract every nickel from the team in preparation of selling it.

It was NOT the scheme.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

attitude.

+1

And I don't
    get how we didn't play to our players strengths

We run a shit load

We use Chester in different roles

We started pressing at the line and playing man to man

I could go on, but I see he made adjustments to fit the players

"V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

attitude.

+1

And I don't

We run a pooh load

I agree with you, however, he adjusted to the guys that have been brought in to fit the scheme.
    Even though they were adjustments they should/could be considered "In Scheme" adjustments.

Singers beef (If I can speak for him a bit here) is that he didn't limit some of his Scheme implementation to fit all the players (left overs from the old scheme) instead of just running his scheme even though some of them weren't/aren't good fits for the scheme.

I agree with him to a point, but believe that if the staff would have done that they would have slowed the progress of guys you mentioned who ultimately will be the ones running the scheme for the long haul.

Blog Entries

"V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

attitude.

+1

And I don't

We run a shit load

Alright, I will bite...

What are Jackson's strengths at QB?

How as the offense altered to take advantage of them?

What are the strengths of Rice and Allison?

How was the offense altered to take advantage of them?

Take those on first and I can add more afterwards.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast