Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

VikingTw's Season Analysis

Before I begin I spent a decent amount of time(about 3 Hrs) putting this together and in doing so tried to be honest as I could in my assessment of all the players. I seen every game this season, some more than once but believe I have a good overview of how the season went.

Player Breakdown

Gus Frerotte: Was a good choice during FA considering the options out there and the fact that Childress had made Jackson the starter. I thought once he got in it gave us a bit of a spark but didn’t necessarily make a huge difference. He provided some big plays, was a veteran presence but threw far to many INT’s and a few of them went the other direction, even with the INT’s he kept good composure and won our team a couple of those game, especially the Saints on the road. By the end of his time starting I was ready for Tarvaris to come back, I almost felt bad for the way he was taking a beating. I think this last season very well could be his final.

Tarvaris Jackson: Let the great debate begin. Some good some bad but overall I thought Tarvaris showed improvement which was most important for my confidence in his future. I thought the early benching was a little on the unfair side but did not disagree with the change at 0-2. I thought Shancoe’s dropped TD was vital in his benching but I also thought he was wildly inaccurate early in the season. During his benching he said all the right things and remained a team player. Upon his return he flourished for the most part, producing some pretty solid numbers and some big wins to get us into the postseason. Regardless of Detroit being the worst team in History they gave it their all vs the Vikings. TJ lead us back on the road for the first time in several years to win that game. Vs the Cardinals he was nearly perfect and vs the Falcons he was showing that consistency and evolution. The Giants game was a good game for him in my eyes as I know some would disagree. Throwing that INT in the end zone was awful but turning around and throwing a bomb down the field to Berrian then the drive to cap the game was a good example of his resilience and focus. A guy like Culpepper would often fold after a killer INT and never recover throughout the game. I thought this was very important for Tarvaris and something I’ve seen often from him. I thought he could have did better against the Eagles, but I don’t blame him for not having a great game, the Eagles defense has proven they do not allow good games from QB’s. Overall I think Tarvaris still needs to prove he can play an entire season, I think he needs to continue to work on sliding and avoiding the big hits he seems to like to absorb. I think Tarvaris is a highly motivated QB that will work as hard as ever this offseason in order to give himself a shot at starting QB. I was impressed that Tarvaris managed 9TD too 2INT’s matching his TD numbers from last season but throwing 10 less INT’s.
    His passing percentage went up some but his passer rating was most improved.

John D Booty: Not a lot on Booty but I do like this kid, I studied him quite a bit after the draft and feel he has a future when we get an Oline that can become good at pass blocking. He’s not going to escape like Tarvaris and needs great protection to be successful. He fits our scheme and is highly accurate. I get disappointed when people disregard him for that of his preseason play. His only real opportunity with a decent unit came vs Dallas where I was often impressed with what he was doing. The 3rd unit OLine continuously aloud him to be mauled and sacked. I look forward to his progress and what he can do come preseason, possibly an opportunity to compete for a higher position on the depth chart.
    Adrian Peterson: Peterson’s play speaks for itself; he had a great season aside from the fumbles that I don’t think is an issue going into next season. He needs to continue to work on his pass blocking and whatever it takes to get him more involved in the passing attack. A great kid, a hard worker and a good teammate.

Chester Taylor: Chester’s a guy that’s very valuable to our franchise; we don’t loose a beat when Peterson comes off the field. He picked up countless 3rd downs all season long. It’s great to have him and a great team guy.

Maurice Hicks: I really like this guy also, had some injury problems throughout but was undoubtedly our best Kick Off Return man, and can certainly get it done on the field too, see preseason action.

Naufahu Tahi: It was disappointing to see Thomas Topeh get cut and the situation go down the way it did but Tahi did a decent job, I think he was better as the season went and could possibly return as our starting FB. With all the hoopla surrounding him I find some of it hilarious.

Jeff Dugan: An odd FB, more of a TE type body but is a good blocker, don’t know if there is much of a future for him.

Bernard Berrian: A great addition, he brought big play ability to the offense and stretched the defense. I thought his biggest issue coming in was the dropped passes, something I was worried about and while he had a few did not make it a big time problem. Gave us a couple plays on special teams but most importantly on offense. I think his biggest days are still ahead of him, hopefully he can get the toe corrected and come back stronger. Glad to have him.

Bobby Wade: Wade was a life saver this season considering Rice’s injuries. Even as an outside WR he did well using his veteran savvy. A player with tremendous smarts but I still want him strictly as a slot WR where he does his most damage. None the less he lead the team in receptions and provided some really big plays downfield, our QB’s best friend. He’s a good leader, versatile and we have him for several more years.

Sidney Rice: Wow… It’s hard to even imagine he only managed 15 catches on the entire season, a huge disappointment in everyone’s eyes although I do think the injury continued to hamper him beyond what the average person outside the organization realizes. I thought he struggled to get open unlike the previous season. I still think he has a tremendous future with age (22) on his side. He posses the best ball skills and jumping ability of anyone on our roster but lacks the ability to stay healthy. Still managed 4 TD’s this season but if he wants to become what he believes he can he must work harder and do his best to remain healthy.

Aundre Allison: Allison lit things up in the preseason and training camp but ended the season on a disappointing note, much like Rice he had a hard time separating from DB’s and was often caught using his hands to do the job. I still like his future also as both these guys are very young and going into that critical 3rd season. Great after the catch but must first get himself open and create those opportunities.

Darius Reynaud: Showed some real ability with the kick returning, I was happy we were able to retain both him and Jaymar on the team. A built guy very strong and explosive, but I believe he must prove himself as a WR to make this team.

Jaymar Johnson: I really like this guy, both as a WR and Punt Returner. Coming in as a draft pick I thought he had the best punt returning ability of anyone on the roster and still do except maybe Berrian. I thought he had a couple in preseason that were very nice pickups, he’s just got a natural ability for returning punts. As a WR we have not seen the opportunity because he played with the 3rd string unit but a very explosive guy, great routes, great breaks and really good hands. His biggest downside is his size and ability to get a clean jump off the line. I think he has a tremendous work ethic and with the year under his belt I look for him to be a player in camps that really jumps out. His stature is not much different from Berrian, for a 6th round pick I really like this guy and root for him.

Visanthe Shiancoe: My surprise pick for the 09’ season turned out to be just that. Started a little slow with some fumbles perfectly executed by defenders but is working his way into a legit top flight TE in the NFL. He makes a great target for whoever the QB may be next season.

Jimmy Kliensasser: Arguably his best season ever or close to it. I thought he got more involved in some of the passing situations in the season and proved he still has the straight line speed, but more importantly continued his trend of great blocking from the TE position. I really hope he wants to return, he’s one FA I certainly wouldn’t turn away. If we’re not going to change what we do there is nobody better for the job then Jimmy K.

Garrett Mills: This guy is a weapon but much like Sid Rice is having trouble staying healthy, I think he competes for a job during training camp, its obvious Shancoe is the starter but would love to have him in the mix.

Bryant McKinnie: Really happy to see him play at the level he did once he returned, especially in the passing game, he’s really starting to live up to his potential and hopefully managing himself off the field. I once disagreed with the decision to resign him but it’s steadily turning into the correct decision. Truly was a Pro Bowler this season but his suspension hindered that.

Ryan Cook: Not so good, you would have hoped for some improvement but if any not much, still continues to have penalties and beaten badly in pass protection. Did have some good games and is a decent run blocker but until he plays consistently he’ll be a backup. I’ve often wondered if they would consider him at guard but with the mistakes he makes at Tackle not quite sure if Center is his niche.

Artis Hicks: Surprised everyone with his play at Tackle in McKinnie’s absence but missed several games due too an injury, he’ll be back next season and possibly in competition for the RT position. I would rather find a better option at RT but if anything else a valuable backup incase something happens to Bryant.

Marcus Johnson: Can’t say much on this guy but I think his time is finished as a Viking, we should look elsewhere for better depth.

Drew Radovich: Really wanted to see more from him in preseason but was sidelined with a shoulder injury. Mike Mayock was very high on this guy during our camp and preseason, I very well think there is a chance he could compete for the Tackle job, if nothing else provides solid depth. Not body beautiful by any means but a football player.

Re: VikingTw's Season Analysis

Steve Hutchison: Play speaks for itself, one of the best in the business but might get too much credit for his pass blocking. None the less is a straight beast in the run game and you never here his name called for dumb penalties.

Anthony Hererra: I wasn’t too happy with Hererra early in the season, I thought he was really screwing up but finished the season on the strong side. He’s having some surgery to repair something in his shoulder, hopefully he is ready for camps.

Matt Birk: A solid season for Birk this year, I thought he probably had his best overall year since his injuries. He’s going to be a FA and don’t expect him back considering he’s going into a Free Agent market that has been really strong in terms of money. His reputation and solid play is going to earn him a nice contract. He’s probably not as good as people would like to claim but no slouch by any means.

John Sullivan: Seen very little from Sullivan during the preseason but liked what I saw when he did perform. He’s got a massive lower body and manages his leverage very well. I’m most impressed with John in terms of what I hear him say, he’s tagged as a very intelligent guy and I think it’s very visible when he has an interview. I love his attitude and his history, I think he has a really bright future here in our organization, possibly starting this upcoming season.

Jared Allen: Truly a solid football player, a tuff guy, lots of energy, a great teammate, just fun to have. I think next season could be even bigger for him considering his slow start, he should be a pro bowler for years to come. This was a great offseason move by our franchise that took lots of work but if we know anything about the guys up front they make things happen.

Ray Edwards: Well he didn’t get the sack record but I doubt many expected that. I like Ray, he’s a good player but with the competitionon at the position he must get better every season.

Brian Robison: A very good pass rusher working to get better vs the run, I’m not sure they are willing to line him up over the RT on a regular basis but rather Allen’s backup. None the Less he should definitely be in the competition for the starting position. I don’t think his run defense is quite up to par yet but he’s a great work ethic and very good draft pick. As a coach I would do my best to get him on the field anytime I could in pass rush situations.

Otis Grigsby: Not sure I’m seeing enough stock in him for him to continue to be on the team with the high competition we have at the position. It will be tuff for him making the squad next season.

Jayme Mitchell: Same goes for Mitchell especially considering he’s coming off a knee injury that’s really going to take awhile to fully recover from.

Kenechi Udeze: It was definitely unfortunate what happened to him especially considering he was at an all time high in his career at the end of the season. If he comes back healthy and strong he could certainly compete for that starting spot, I love his run stuffing ability and he’s no slouch in the passing game.

Pat Williams: You wonder when this guy is going to slow down or call it quits but he just keeps coming, truly a great player and important to organization. He should certainly retire a Viking, I’m not sure there has been a better run stuffer in NFL History, he’s a huge part of continues success at ranking #1 in the league.

Kevin Williams: I would say Kevin is the best DT in the league but I hesitate because he has his lapses of somewhat disappearing, particularly in the pass rush game but is always a dominant force vs the run. There are many out there at DT that are solid but he very well could be the best all around DT in the game. A pleasure to have and hopefully for many more.

Fred Evans: I like Evans and think he’s one FA that’s big in getting signed back, especially considering the possible suspension of the Williams wall. He’s a super quick penetrator who likes to get up field and often does disturbing the whole play. Our run D lost a step when Pat was out but I give him more credit than most.

Letroy Guion: This dude is extremely explosive, his biggest issue throughout his college career was bringing that talent play in and play out. His quickness off the line of scrimmage can be second to none and would have liked to see more pass rush situations out of him. The hit that essentially put Kyle Boller out for the season just flat out dirty. A very young guy (21) with loads of talent, I know that Karl Dunbar was big on him during the combine working with him during drills. I think he could have been a much higher pick had he stayed in college. Very well could become a starter for us if his talent flourishes.

Ellis Wyms: More of a straight role player but did some nice things for us this season, the ceiling for him has basically been reached.

EJ Henderson: Very unfortunate that he went down considering he was on pace to have his best season yet. I expect nothing less when he returns, he’s vital to our run defense and leadership. Possibly the biggest hitter in the league at MLB. I don’t know that I have single handedly seen one player leave more guys laying on the field injured after a collision. Straight Beast.

Chad Greenway: Wow has this guy has been great, an extremely good draft choice and I felt that way when we selected him. A great guy off the field but most importantly his progression as a pro has gotten better every season he has played. Some were down on him for some coverage this season but I don’t blame him a whole lot, his contributions far outweigh getting beat by an Elite TE like Greg Olson. I look for him to continue to be a great player and that contract extension to come very soon.

Ben Leber: Virtually the invisible man until EJ got injured but stepped up huge with the play calling and whatnot. Ben is one of my favorite Viking personalities, a great locker room and teammate guy. I felt he missed some tackles this season he should have made but remains a steady football player.

Erin Henderson: Really like what I seen every time he got on the field on defense, not so much special teams but defense. During the preseason he definitely earned a roster spot, he was all over, tackling, forcing fumbles, ect. It would be super cool to eventually see him as Ben Leber's successor and I think there is an opportunity for that to happen. Erin has tremendous football instincts much like his brother but certainly a different personality. Still a physical guy though, not scared to take on a blocker.

Vinny Ciurciu: Arguably the most disappointing offseason FA acquisition in the Childress Era. He’s had a few plays on special teams but nothing to brag about, I think he’s definitely replaceable and should be.

David Herron: Good Bye. His critical mistakes on punt coverage cost our defense some tremendous field advantage. He had two situations this season where he had the opportunity to down the ball inside the 1 yard line and completely screwed up, these mental errors are the ones that cost our special teams. He did nothing special on defense either for except get hurt.

Rufus Alexander: Probably not completely healthy after the knee injury but I still thought he did more than Herron ever did in the preseason. I hope he can come back with a fully healthy knee and become a factor for us.

Napolean Harris: Did a nice job for EJ but never compared. Often quiet games, nothing to get upset about but nothing to brag about. Not sure if he makes it back.

Dontarius Thomas: Not a natural football player, all athlete no instincts. Don’t see him returning.

Heath Farwell: Definitely missed on special teams and probably as EJ’s backup. Serious knee injury that usually takes 2 years to fully recover but should be fine to play next year. We need him.

Antoine Winfield: You could make the argument that Winfield saved the season with some great plays early when things were at there worst. He continues to be a force in the run game but I’m not sure this season was his best ever. He was definitely beat by multiple WR’s, some of the passes could not be converted for TD’s because of an off throw or a penalty called it back. I hate to say it but I think Winfield showed some age this season but certainly still a starter. Beyond next season I cannot be sure, I would begin the search for a future replacement. None the less he’s one of my favorite CB’s of all time and what I believe to be the greatest tackling CB in NFL History.

Cedric Griffin: Aww Yes the infamous Cedric Griffin is not cutting it thread… I was very critical of Ced at seasons start and deservedly so. His play was awful but after the bye week he came out a different player. From that point on he showed his true ability, he’s a tremendous tackler and decent cover man. I love his physical presence and support in our so stout run game. Some want to replace him, I believe that’s a pipe dream. He’ll be a starter for years to come.

Charles Gordon: Gordon was having a decent season till he went down, he did blow some coverage but at the same time made some the best plays in pass defense out of all DB’s this season. I hope he can return to his role as our Nickel CB. The undrafted FA turned out well for us, I just don’t want to risk him on Punt Returns, as his injury was what I feared out of an important part of our defense.

Benny Sapp: Benny’s a great guy but allows his emotions to control him at times. I thought he was a good fit for our scheme, does a really good job of tackling, especially considering his size. He did a decent job once he replaced Chuck. I wouldn’t mind having him back.

Marcus McCauley: We might need to cut our losses with this guy, I just haven’t seen anything to indicate he’s headed in a positive direction. He had some really nice plays as a rookie but fell off at seasons end and practically disappeared this season. Not sure if he’s going to rebound or turn his talent into a solid product.

Darren Sharper: I enjoyed his time here, I like Sharper but I thought if at any time his skills diminished it was this season. I was very upset with the times he had an opportunity to make a play on the ball while it was lying on the ground and couldn’t get it done. He has been solid in deep coverage but hasn’t been tremendous either. I think his time has come, while we move on with youth. He also lacked open field tackling sometimes looking frozen in time.

Madieu Williams: It was unfortunate he went down with the early injury but once he returned was a nice addition. I think more than anything he was brought in because of his coverage skills down field. He can certainly work the tackling also, he provides solid wrap up tackling and is good in the box when needed. He's somewhat of a hybrid safety much like Tyrell Johnson. Hopefully he can remain healthy in our secondary.

Tyrell Johnson: One of my favorite draft prospects in the Childress Era, watching this guy on tape reminded me of the pursuit EJ has as a LB. While he was in he played a vital role for our defense and did a solid job considering he was a rookie. The most impressive thing with Tyrell was his open field tackling, something Sharper lacked. I think he certainly wants to work on getting there quicker in passing situations but if anything the early experience will have him ready for next season. A tremendous athlete who virtually dominated workout
    #’s in terms of safeties, even that of LaRon Landry. I really like his work ethic, I believe he will turn out to be tremendous player for us. Between him and Madieu we have a nice combo of highbred safeties with CB like skills and great tackling.

Eric Frampton: I wanted to see more consistency out of Frampton in terms of special teams, while he did some very good things he missed some tackles and got out of his assignment at times. The missed tackle on DeSean Jackson during the playoff game lead to three points. If he wishes to make the squad next season he must work harder.

Husain Abdullah: A pleasant surprise throughout the season, was one of the better special teams players, I think there is a decent chance he makes it on our squad for his sophomore season in the NFL.

Chris Kluwe: A rocky start for him as Childress puffed his chest in a move to ignite the kicker early on. He had a nice season from then on out for the most part.
    Ryan Longwell: Continues to be solid as ever, the 50+ game winners are impressive but we could get better on kickoffs.

Position Breakdowns

QB: I think it’s important for us to get another QB other than Frerotte after everything that occurred, from his comments it seems he’s upset. Looking at the FA options there isn’t a ton, a trade would likely be the best option if we want to get a starter but who lets go of legit starters? The best way to do it is too draft guys and develop them. IMO Tarvaris Jackson should remain our starting QB, I like the fact that Childress did not make him starter in his season ending Presser. This keeps him motivated and on his heels. In looking at the options and weighing the progress Tjack made he’s my option.

RB: I would think we are set at RB, we have a very good core group.

FB: I wouldn’t mind finding some good competition for Tahi, possibly a guy that’s more explosive after the catch.

WR: Definitely an interesting position to evaluate considering Rice and Allison’s performances. The big money we spent on Berrian pulls me toward thinking we won’t go big here in FA but with one injury to Berrian we could be in some trouble.

TE: Depending on Jimmy’s situation we may need 1 more but I like what we got with Visanthe and Mills.

Oline: I would hope we could get a really solid RT in FA but I can’t be sure on who makes the best fit. A proven veteran would certainly be nice.

Dline: Stacked for the most part, with a suspension to the William’s we could be in some trouble but we have some capable backups.

LB: Another interesting position but I don’t see major wholes.

DB: I would like to see us attain a good solid safety, particularly through the draft. With the possible return of Gordon we look decent at CB. Nnamdi Ausomugha would be a great addition but with Winfield and Griffin I’m not sure they would move toward that option or if the Raiders would even let him leave.

Coaching: With everything that is said about our coaching I like our staff for the most part. What concerns me is the continuation of predictable play calling, I won’t say it was as bad as last year but certainly needs improvement and has improved from last season. Improvement is something I have seen in several areas of the team in the Childress Era. The problem with this improvement is that it’s not an immediate evolution but a steady one. The game management needs to become more efficient along with the 2 minute drill. What worries me most is when Paul Frerraro and Leslie Frazier feel the need to get involved in the game time situations on the sideline. Childress doesn’t always seem to look as if he knows what the hell is going on, as the end of the Giants game is a proven situation. I don’t see this with a lot of other coaches in the league and especially the good ones, it’s more like there getting involved with there coordinators, not vice versa. There are certainly improvements that need to be made and made quickly, with Childress going into his 4th season its time put it all together or Ziggy could likely go in another direction. The Special Teams must shore up, we cannot continue to give up points because of large gains and broken lanes.

The Draft: This years draft should be great considering we can fill almost all the wholes we have through FA. We don't have many so this makes the draft even more flexible. We shouldn't have to draft on need but more on who think will turn out to be the best Pro's. If I'm correct this has been the plan in the past but even more so this season.

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Wow, that is a very nice write up.
    Thanks for your time and effort.
    I found the write up on the offensive lines guys most informative.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Darren Sharper: I enjoyed his time here, I like Sharper but I thought if at any time his skills diminished it was this season. I was very upset with the times he had an opportunity to make a play on the ball while it was lying on the ground and couldn’t get it done. He has been solid in deep coverage but hasn’t been tremendous either. I think his time has come, while we move on with youth. He also lacked open field tackling sometimes looking frozen in time.
    IMO, the biggest mistake the Vikings (Childress/Tomlin/Frazier) made with Sharper, was moving him from FS to SS.

In his 4 years here, he had 9 picks as a FS for the Vikings in 2005 (Tice) & has only had 9 total in 2006-2008 combined (Childress).

People like to harp on Sharper for not falling on 2 fumbles this year, but there were also opportunities for other players to do so. At least 1 of those fumbles rolled past him before he would have had a chance to pick it up or fall on it.

This past season, only Leber (4) had more fumble recoveries than Sharper (2).

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Tyrell Johnson: One of my favorite draft prospects in the Childress Era, watching this guy on tape reminded me of the pursuit EJ has as a LB. While he was in he played a vital role for our defense and did a solid job considering he was a rookie. The most impressive thing with Tyrell was his open field tackling, something Sharper lacked. I think he certainly wants to work on getting there quicker in passing situations but if anything the early experience will have him ready for next season. A tremendous athlete who virtually dominated workout
    #’s in terms of safeties, even that of LaRon Landry.
    I really like his work ethic, I believe he will turn out to be tremendous player for us. Between him and Madieu we have a nice combo of highbred safeties with CB like skills and great tackling.
    ??? Really? How did you come to that conclusion?

T. Johnson;

Games: 16
    Solo tackles: 24
    Assists: 7
    Passes Defended: 3
    INT's: 1
    Fumbles: 0

L. Landry;

Games: 16
    Solo tackles: 49
    Assists: 16
    Passes Defended: 11
    INT's: 2
    Fumbles: 0

Now I'd think that Landry saw more play time than Johnson, but unless you watched every Redskins game this year, which neither you nor I did, you have no idea how much more playtime he saw.

Secondly, Landry doesn't even come close to being one of the top safeties, so there is no way in hell, Johnson dominated the safety position this year.

Is there a stat source somewhere where it lists the number of plays a player was in the game for?

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Hmmm, stats don't lie. Johnson was a good pick in the second round...but I wouldn't go that far and surpass him by Landry

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

IMO, the biggest mistake the Vikings (Childress/Tomlin/Frazier) made with Sharper, was moving him from FS to SS.

In his 4 years here, he had 9 picks as a FS for the Vikings in 2005 (Tice) & has only had 9 total in 2006-2008 combined (Childress).

People like to harp on Sharper for not falling on 2 fumbles this year, but there were also opportunities for other players to do so. At least 1 of those fumbles rolled past him before he would have had a chance to pick it up or fall on it.

I almost agree with you my friend, problem for Sharp is that the S's have to be able to play both spots in this scheme.
    At least thats what the Chiller said in a link you provided.

Probably why the staff hasn't offered him a contract to date.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

You did this in 3 hours.........
    It would take me 3 days.
    Excellent stuff.
    Couple of comments (you knew I would)

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Before I begin I spent a decent amount of time(about 3 Hrs) putting this together and in doing so tried to be honest as I could in my assessment of all the players. I seen every game this season, some more than once but believe I have a good overview of how the season went.
    John D Booty: Not a lot on Booty but I do like this kid,
    I look forward to his progress and what he can do come preseason, possibly an opportunity to compete for a higher position on the depth chart.
    Not sure why everyone automatically throws a kid under the bus.
    Seems there is a huge (HUGE) contingent on this site that expect someone to come in and start playing at a Probowl level.

Mystifies me why they can't comprehend that all players learn at different levels and will mature on a different pace than others.
    Having said that, JDB will continue to improve as his reps go up.

Maurice Hicks: I really like this guy also, had some injury problems throughout but was undoubtedly our best Kick Off Return man, and can certainly get it done on the field too, see preseason action.
    Seems rooks and Vets alike struggle with respect to getting a grasp on thier role in the scheme the coaching staff employs around here.
    I suspect we will see Hicks role get a bit bigger especially if the staff think CT is worth resigning.......(Let the chuckleheads go off the deep end as they think I just said I don't want the staff to resign CT)

Naufahu Tahi:
    With all the hoopla surrounding him I find some of it hilarious.
    The new scapegoat perhaps?
    It will probably be him or Cook next year that continue to draw the ire of the chuckleheads now that guys like Shanc, Griff and Chad etc have shown that "Joe average fan" doesn't know shit.

Sidney Rice:
    Injuries, OL play, QB Play, 2nd year in a complex system all contributed to a poor showing.
    I think him and AA will be fine next year.
    Visanthe Shiancoe: My surprise pick for the 09’ season turned out to be just that. Started a little slow with some fumbles perfectly executed by defenders but is working his way into a legit top flight TE in the NFL. He makes a great target for whoever the QB may be next season.
    I could serve up so many crow dinners and deserts over this cat.
    Not one to be a told you so kindof guy though.
    I do get my little jabs in now and then though...

Jimmy Kliensasser: I really hope he wants to return, he’s one FA I certainly wouldn’t turn away. If we’re not going to change what we do there is nobody better for the job then Jimmy K.
    I would definately resign him.
    Mauler that is always on the field which is a huge feat when one considers the position he plays........I wonder why they haven't already offered him a a contract.
    Because of that I am a bit worried they are gonna let him test the market.

Garrett Mills: This guy is a weapon but much like Sid Rice is having trouble staying healthy, I think he competes for a job during training camp, its obvious Shancoe is the starter but would love to have him in the mix.
    This guy and Tapeh are the biggest question mark at Player Personnel moves I've seen by our FO.
    Surely the staff had a need and the scouts had evidence they fit the scheme.
    My guess is (still) that Mills will wind up being a FB/H-back guy in this scheme.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

I almost agree with you my friend, problem for Sharp is that the S's have to be able to play both spots in this scheme.
    At least thats what the Chiller said in a link you provided.

Probably why the staff hasn't offered him a contract to date.
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Chiller Speak, much like Denny Speak, should be taken with a certain amount of skepticism.
    ;D
    :P

Granted I can see that Sharper has lost some speed (not tackling ability) but what happened here is Childress/Tomlin changed the scheme from 2005 to 2006 as well. Then he excelled.

Sharper is great when he is allowed to "free range". He was allowed to do that in GB & was handcuffed here in 2005 until Tice tore half the pages out of Cottrell's playbook.

What we have is a player who once "fit the scheme" but when Childress took over & the scheme was changed, he did not excel in that scheme.

It's just another prime example of not adjusting a scheme to coincide with the strength of your players. Hell, we've even seen Winfield's numbers decline because of it.

The biggest bitch I have with Childress is that he forced new schemes down our players throats instead of catering them to utilize the best "strengths & talents" of our players.

In that respect, he has minimized, under utilized & "handcuffed" our teams potential all in the name of his., "It's my way or the highway", egotistical
    attitude.

Childress didn't build upon what he had inherited, but rather changed every facet of the way we played football.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast