Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings work on Wildcat

"Minniman" wrote:
    I agree with much of what you said. Let's be honest, we are going to see wildcat this year, and we aren't going to sub out Favre because if we do that takes out the element of surprise, and because Favre will not be anything mroe than a decoy, the wildcat won't work. We are damned if we do, damned if we don't.
    That's spot on.
    the Vikings cannot sub out Favre if Favre is in the huddle.
    It's illegal.

Having Favre play wide may not be a good idea though.
    He's open to a free shot out there, and it basically reduces the threats.
    Are the Vikings going to actually throw to Favre and let him take a big hit?
    Only if they are really stupid.

Jackson would be a good QB for the wildcat, but the Vikings would show their hand by bringing him in the game.
    Having Jackson out there taking a big hit, I'm not sure if that's a good idea either he has had his own problems staying health.
    If it was a double pass to Jackson and then having Jackson throw it, he has to catch it, on a backwards pass (fumble risk), reset (??? footwork) look downfield and throw fast and get hit (he can throw fast but also is a slow reader of the field).
    Running option plays and the wildcat in the NFL expose the QB to more damage and are packages to use if you have a borderline QB and your not that worried about getting him hurt and putting in your backup.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

First of all, the Dolphins' Wildcat formation it's called "Loki" on the Vikings. The Miami Dolphins did not invent the Wildcat formation. It has been used before.

Second, the first thing you have to look at if you want to use this kind of plays, is wether you have the right guy to take the direct snap. And those guys do not come around very easily.
    He should have a decent throwing arm, preferably a player who used to play some QB in high school and college. He needs to be a skilled runner with the ball in his hands, he needs to be able to read and react very fast, plus he should be good at faking hand-offs and soft hands wouldn't hurt.
    In other words, he needs to be versatile.

Do the Vikings have this kind of player? In my opinion, we have 4 options:
    1. Percy Harvin - RB/WR - took a few direct snaps in the preseason, but all of them were run plays. Don't know if he can throw, but he shure can run with the ball. Is versatile and can play both the WR and RB position very well.
    2. Tarvaris Jackson - QB - Tarvaris is definitely able to throw the ball, and has also shown that he is a good runner. Not including Michael Vick and Vince Young, Tarvaris is the best srambling QB in the league. Tarvaris is injury prone, but since he's the third string QB on this team, he will not see any action. The Wilcat... excuse me... the Loki is the only way to get Tarvaris on the field this season. He could also line up at WR, but I have no idea wether he has the hands to do it.
    3. Chester Taylor - RB - has shown great running abilities and consistent hands. Ha also thrown the ball a couple of times on HB pass plays. He should be in more plays, and the Loki is a way to do that.
    4. Darius Reynaud - WR/RB - is mostly a wide receiver, and an excellent returner. Had a TD on a punt return yesterday where he broke like four tackles. Has never seen him throw, but he reminds me of Percy Harvin a lot. He is a very interesting player to watch and should definitely stay on the roster. Did I mentioned that he played with Pat White in a similar type of offense?

I also have an idea on who we should use out wide. Tarvaris is definitely a potential candidate. I don't want to expose Brett Favre out there, we need him healthy, plus he's not very athletic.
    I think that WR Sidney Rice could be a good candidate. He was used on trick plays before where he would get the ball on a reverse and throw the ball to a receiver. As far as I remember, he completed all the passes. He also started at QB in high school.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I think the Wildcat will be successful

Good thing we won't use it too often if it doesnt

People make this out to be a big deal.. Who cares

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

The Vikings would be better off having direct snap plays rather than the full wildcat (Loki or whatever).

It also works best with quick snap teams, and the Vikings tend to take a long time to get the plays in and plays off.
    They give too much time to counter and call defenses.

Call me crazy but I would just like our offense to be able to run a no huddle/ two minute drill for once. I am getting so sick of the nonchalant attitude when we're down and running out of time. I could scream when I see the offense taking so much freekin time. At least with Brett in there we won't have to worry about any of those two things. T-Jack was incapable of the no huddle, and we don't know about Sage. For the love of everything that is decent move with a sense of urgency this year in case we are losing and need to score. Simple request for the Chilli. ???
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"HEY" wrote:
    First of all, the Dolphins' Wildcat formation it's called "Loki" on the Vikings. The Miami Dolphins did not invent the Wildcat formation. It has been used before.

Second, the first thing you have to look at if you want to use this kind of plays, is wether you have the right guy to take the direct snap. And those guys do not come around very easily.
    He should have a decent throwing arm, preferably a player who used to play some QB in high school and college. He needs to be a skilled runner with the ball in his hands, he needs to be able to read and react very fast, plus he should be good at faking hand-offs and soft hands wouldn't hurt.
    In other words, he needs to be versatile.

Do the Vikings have this kind of player? In my opinion, we have 4 options:
    1. Percy Harvin - RB/WR - took a few direct snaps in the preseason, but all of them were run plays. Don't know if he can throw, but he shure can run with the ball. Is versatile and can play both the WR and RB position very well.
    2. Tarvaris Jackson - QB - Tarvaris is definitely able to throw the ball, and has also shown that he is a good runner. Not including Michael Vick and Vince Young, Tarvaris is the best srambling QB in the league. Tarvaris is injury prone, but since he's the third string QB on this team, he will not see any action. The Wilcat... excuse me... the Loki is the only way to get Tarvaris on the field this season. He could also line up at WR, but I have no idea wether he has the hands to do it.
    3. Chester Taylor - RB - has shown great running abilities and consistent hands. Ha also thrown the ball a couple of times on HB pass plays. He should be in more plays, and the Loki is a way to do that.
    4. Darius Reynaud - WR/RB - is mostly a wide receiver, and an excellent returner. Had a TD on a punt return yesterday where he broke like four tackles. Has never seen him throw, but he reminds me of Percy Harvin a lot. He is a very interesting player to watch and should definitely stay on the roster. Did I mentioned that he played with Pat White in a similar type of offense?

I also have an idea on who we should use out wide. Tarvaris is definitely a potential candidate. I don't want to expose Brett Favre out there, we need him healthy, plus he's not very athletic.
    I think that WR Sidney Rice could be a good candidate. He was used on trick plays before where he would get the ball on a reverse and throw the ball to a receiver. As far as I remember, he completed all the passes. He also started at QB in high school.
    I would say Rice too. He seems to throw a good pass and would be a better candidate than the others.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314