Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings work on Wildcat

[size=13pt]Vikings work on Wildcat[/size]

The day after the Vikings selected Percy Harvin in last month’s draft, wide receivers coach George Stewart said he hoped the team would use the multi-talented receiver in a variety of different ways.

So far, so good. On Saturday, the Vikings experiminted with using the “Wildcat” offense, lining up Harvin at quarterback at times. Running back Chester Taylor and wide receiver Darius Reynaud also are getting looks as the quarterback in a formation that became popular last season around the NFL after the Miami Dolphins started to use it.

The Vikings did not use it.

The threat of the “Wildcat” with a player like Harvin is that defenses already must account for Pro Bowl running back Adrian Peterson. So if Harvin is a threat to take off with the ball, what do you do about Peterson because teams also must account for him. This one has the possibility to create nightmares for defensive coordinators — even if they know it’s coming.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings work on Wildcat

[size=13pt]Vikings Have A Wildcat Quarterback[/size]

Posted by Mike Florio on May 30, 2009, 2:27 p.m. EDT

Before the draft, the Minnesota Vikings expressed some interest in former West Virginia quarterback Pat White, which suggested that the Vikes might be interested in joining the Wildcat crowd.

But White was gone by the time the Vikings used their second-round pick, so we didn’t get a chance to see how serious about White they really were.

As it turns out, however, they might have gotten their Wildcat quarterback in the first round.

During a Saturday minicamp practice, receiver Percy Harvin lined up at various positions, including quarterback in the Wildcat package.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I think this could be very interesting.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

Why? Once the Phins had used it everyone adapted to it so quickly and it became ineffective. I hope they line up to use it but fake it out more often than not
    Purple till i die

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mark_The_Viking" wrote:
    Why? Once the Phins had used it everyone adapted to it so quickly and it became ineffective. I hope they line up to use it but fake it out more often than not
    exactly, everyone will be wanting to use it this year so can't see it being as effective as last season. Lets concentrate on trying to get the KAO working properly first before we worry about anything else.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"Mark_The_Viking" wrote:
    Because other teams adapted to it. I imagine with an offseason to work on it offensive coordinators can find out what worked and what didn't. Plus, with dynamic players such as Peterson and Harvin I think it is at least worth the effort to explore the formation in the offseason.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Mark_The_Viking" wrote:
    Teams beat the wildcat by being patient and maintaining their gaps/coverage. No one defender can take down AD. I think we could have the best Wildcat the NFL has seen yet. PH running an option with AD trailing would be scary.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

There are tons of options int he wildcat. If we can do some creative stuff out of the formation, defences will have to respect all the speed we have on the field and we should be able to get someone open.
    We're bringing purple back.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Mark_The_Viking" wrote:

What was used in the wild cat formation was simply run plays. Imagine if a better passing package was placed in. The wildcat is a formation not a play. It has the potential to change football. I was talking to an ex teammate who is now an Assistant Defensive coach for the U of D and there is plenty of talk that the QB will go the way of the running back. Instead of blowing 80 million in a Stafford and not knowing if he will suceed or not, you draft 3 Pat Whites and run wildcat.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"happy" wrote:
    "Mark_The_Viking" wrote:
    Because other teams adapted to it. I imagine with an offseason to work on it offensive coordinators can find out what worked and what didn't. Plus, with dynamic players such as Peterson and Harvin I think it is at least worth the effort to explore the formation in the offseason.
    Maybe other team's coordinators.

I don't want us to use it a ton. 5-10 times a game maybe, just to keep defenses honest.

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast