AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings won't pass up chance to grab quality quarterback

[size=24px]Vikings won't pass up chance to grab quality quarterback[/size]

Last update: April 26, 2006 – 6:35 AM

The Vikings are eager to begin building depth at the position and fill the void created by Daunte Culpepper's departure.
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

The Vikings' need for linebackers is acute. So is their desire for a young quarterback.
    For the first time in seven years, the Vikings appear almost certain to acquire a quarterback during this weekend's NFL draft. Whether they trade for Atlanta backup Matt Schaub, draft one of the blue-chip trio expected to go in the first round or identify a lesser-known prospect for development, the Vikings want their post-Daunte Culpepper era to begin now.

"Regardless of who is starting," coach Brad Childress said, "we want to take a developmental guy. We want to develop a guy. I think it behooves you to have your eye on a guy that's got the skill set that you're looking for and try to get that guy up to speed. A guy that you're serious about to bring along within the system."

Full article at :

Now despite all the posturing and continued rumour about Schaub this statement suggests to me that we won't be taking him. If we went for him thn, by Childress's statement, we'd also be looking at another developmental QB. I can't believe Schaub wanting to come to Minny as backup for another season, he can do that in Atlanta and go elsewhere via FA next year.
    So I'm looking at us staying where we are at #17 and then taking a QB in the second round. I don't think we'll trade up for Cutler unless he fell down the order drastically, else we can make better use of the picks that we have first day.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings won't pass up chance to grab quality quarterback

no man diditn you hear? were taking reggie bush. hes this years aron rogers
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

It wouldn't at all bother me if that was the case.. We have the need for a few positions, so i guess stay where we are and take the best available player at that time.

I would like us to get Cutler, but only if we get him at a fair price. Trading several picks for a guy who will most likely ride the bench and learn for the next couple years is kinda of a waste.. I'm just pumped for the draft to see what pans out.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"mr.woo" wrote:
    no man diditn you hear? were taking reggie bush. hes this years aron rogers
    Awesome, sign me up for that bandwagon.

My guess is as many of you are saying that Childress has his eye on a couple of second round guys that he likes as a "developmental qb". However, if he can get any of the top 3 (most likely Cutler) without too much cost (moving up to a 12-15 spot) I see him pulling the trigger.

Prophet Guest

I really don't think we needed to be told that the Vikings will be developing a new QB in the near future, contrary to some people's thinking. It will be interesting to see who it will end up being now.