Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Vikings will give Shiancoe another change, but

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "LAVike" wrote:
    Yeah...I liked what (little) I saw out of Mills.
    Seems promising.
    Remember Belichick freakin' when the Vikes picked him off of waivers?
    thats true he did pretty much freak out :P

but Mills is sort of turning into a Jason Carter, he made two catches.
    I'll reserve my judgement on him until i see him up at training camp and if he can earn a roster spot
    The biggest thing about Mills was he made those two catches in an actual regular season NFL game.
    Not to say that is enough to judge somebody, but it's better than trying to judge a player by what he does in practice.
    yea i know, Carter made his catches in the Preseason.. i wasn't saying that i didn't see promise in him as well, just don't want people getting too hyped up on him, saying he's better than Shiancoe, when as of now thats just kinda BS until September, then again.. its the offseason
    Exactly... Hype and blind faith are what steer the ship through the offseason.
    ;D

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings will give Shiancoe another chance, but

I agree that it is way to soon to start proclaiming Mills as our next Pro-Bowl TE based on two catches in one game. However I know that most people that saw him thought WTF? when he did make them. It's hard to put into words but there was something about the way he caught the ball that made his two catches stand out. Even my wife noticed the difference compared to Shianco or any of the WRs, hopefully this is something that can be built on so that he can be made a bigger part of the offense.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"AngloVike" wrote:
    I agree that it is way to soon to start proclaiming Mills as our next Pro-Bowl TE based on two catches in one game. However I know that most people that saw him thought WTF? when he did make them. It's hard to put into words but there was something about the way he caught the ball that made his two catches stand out. Even my wife noticed the difference compared to Shianco or any of the WRs, hopefully this is something that can be built on so that he can be made a bigger part of the offense.
    the way he ran his routes and caught those two passes kinda reminded me of Dallas Clark, with his hip movement and sudden quickness...

NO i'm not comparing the two of them or saying he's the next coming of.. i just noticed sudden similarities between the two of them, in their body language on the field and since yall were talking about him i pointed it out..

with that said about shanc tho... i wouldn't be opposed to drafting say a fred davis or another top TE prospect if he's the bpa...

i like shanc's blocking but the last thing we need is another weapon that can't catch the ball.. it's just not worth it.. i liked shanc and hopes he does well, but if he aint gonna catch then cut him loose...

i dont care how much money he makes or whether he's guaranteed or not.. Wilf has a shit load of money anyway.. it's like like 3-4 mill is gonna make a difference to his wallet.. so i hate it when ppl say we invested in this guy or that guy and therefore we have to stick with him... i think its' a bunch of crap and if he's not performing then he doesn't need to be here... we've had too many years of below mediocrity to place false hopes on an underperformer... so give another chance, but he's been in the league long enough to know that he needs to catch the ball...

he's developed.. and don't compare his development to say a TJ.. qb is a waay harder position to learn and i realize that some positions need more time to develop than others.. plus, shanc has been around for awhile.. he needs to step it up..

but the vikings will give him another chance imo... but a last chance at that...

so i guess i said all that to say nothing basically.... sorry for the rant... i'm cranky

mjuaire is offline Rookie

don't worry "bleedpurple" it's monday, i'm sure you're not the only cranky one.

On Shank:
    I noticed that he dropped a couple balls but I just don't remember this being a major problem.
    If i'm incorrect, feel free to refresh my memory.
    I thought at times he looked very good, and I like his athleticism.
    I think you're seeing a trend with TE's in the league that is heading toward more of a receiving position than blocking.
    there are many examples currently and many of these guys in this year's draft as well.
    So the fact that Shanc is athletic enough to creat mismatches in the passing game is good, and the fact that he's a committed blocker is also a good thing and I think reasonably rare.

I feel he was underused and not just because we ran the ball a lot but because t-jack was just unable to get him the ball enough to make a difference.
    I am partly confused and was last year as well, only because a young qb's easiest move is to check down to the TE.
    I'm not privy to the gameplans and what not, but I found it interesting and felt like I didn't get to see enough of Shanc to pass judgment.
    I think he will get better one more year in the system, along with t-jack's growth at qb.
    Certainly not ready to give up on him or draft a TE high instead of other certainly more pressing areas of need...DE, WR, OL, QB

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Here's some Shank stats for ya'all...last year, with the Vikings he was targeted 43 times and caught 27, or 62.79% of the balls tossed his way.
    Actually, that should be plus1, cuz IMO he got robbed in the KC game on the winning TD from MeMo.

In the NFL his 43 targets ranked 30th.
    His 12.0 average yards per catch was 16th in the NFL, and that is misleading because of the 15 above him there, only 4 had more targets, meaning that most of those guys were situational guys who were open by default.
    He was 5th in yds/catch among TEs with over 40 chances to catch a ball...beat out by Gates, Winslow, Owen Daniels, and Des Clark.

The combination of heavy blitzing and erraditic OLine play meant that on most downs, he was needed to pick somebody up...anybody.
    Cuz they're bringing the house, all game long.
    He is another candidate (IMHO) for some tweaked routes/game planning to improve how we (TJack) handle the pressure.

Stats are from my FFL on cbssports.com
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"mjuaire" wrote:
    don't worry "bleedpurple" it's monday, i'm sure you're not the only cranky one.

On Shank:
    I noticed that he dropped a couple balls but I just don't remember this being a major problem.
    If i'm incorrect, feel free to refresh my memory.
    I thought at times he looked very good, and I like his athleticism.
    I think you're seeing a trend with TE's in the league that is heading toward more of a receiving position than blocking.
    there are many examples currently and many of these guys in this year's draft as well.
    So the fact that Shanc is athletic enough to creat mismatches in the passing game is good, and the fact that he's a committed blocker is also a good thing and I think reasonably rare.

I feel he was underused and not just because we ran the ball a lot but because t-jack was just unable to get him the ball enough to make a difference.
    I am partly confused and was last year as well, only because a young qb's easiest move is to check down to the TE.
    I'm not privy to the gameplans and what not, but I found it interesting and felt like I didn't get to see enough of Shanc to pass judgment.
    I think he will get better one more year in the system, along with t-jack's growth at qb.
    Certainly not ready to give up on him or draft a TE high instead of other certainly more pressing areas of need...DE, WR, OL, QB
    I agree Shanc was underused... but i think ppl on here base their assessment of him dropping a lot of passes and being a bust, bc when he did get the ball thrown to him, arguably in key situations.. and based on the opportunities he did get, the ball hit him right in the hands and he dropped it..

whether that was bc of a lack of concentration or he didn't think he'd get the ball thrown to him or whatever, based on the opportunities he did have, i feel like he was about 60-40 or 65-35 on times that he was thrown to and caught versus his drops.. he had quite a few drops to have so few passes thrown his way..

i think that's where ppl are most disappointed.. he can't really do a whole lot about being used in pass protection or not getting the ball...

mjuaire is offline Rookie

I wouldn't have guessed he had that many drops, but I'm sure I was just distracted by the NFL ticket and missed a few, along with being distracted by #82 Dropping balls like nobody i have ever seen.

I certainly am not a fan of dropping balls, and being that i played WR for about 22 years of my life (i'm including infant years)
    it drives me mad to the point I curse loud and often at the TV and people.
    If he does get a shot to catch more balls and doesn't improve I will be on board with shipping his ars off to anywhere.

Outside of training camp, I just don't understand dropping balls, and have no tolerance for it.
    that 6th round pick we got for Troy looks like a 1st round pick as far as i'm concerned.
    now I'm cranky, dang!

My point was not that Mills is a HOFamer, or better then Shankhole, I was commenting on the articles suggestion that TE may be a draft
    priority. Why draft another when Mills is ripe for development.? T-will drops the bomb and the next pass goes to Mills. Guy looked like Mark Bavaro compared to T-will. Chilli went right to the guy, like he was making a point. "If you can't catch, I'll find someone who
    an." Mills ran a nice route and nonchalantly snatched up the ball, like it's his 4th season. I hope the guy gets more time. Looks like he will.
    Tuco the world.....

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

OK, lets look at some more stats...oops I kind of turned this into a math research project, anyway...

heres the top four WRs

Player

Targets

Catches

%
    Randy Moss

TO

B.Edwards

R.Wayne

and top 5 TEs

Witten

Gates

Gonzales

Clark

Winslow

Compared to Shank's 62.8%...doesn't seem too shabby to me.
    Add another year in the system for Shank, experience for TJack, a steady improvement by the Oline, and he just might out perform that contract next year!

Seems to me, that The Big Chill likes to spread the ball out and involve lots of different options, so he'll probably never see 100+ targets like the top guys.
    But, 62.8% of 75 would be 47 receptions times 12 yards is a 564 yard season.

If we get at least that kind of production from him, Berrian, Wade, Rice, the RBs, and the other WRs & TEs, we're at 3384 yds recieving.
    Last year that would be 17th in the NFL.
    But, I fully expect more out of Berrian, and if we maintain our status as No.1 Rushing Team, that might be enough to get us deep into the playoffs.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"AngloVike" wrote:
    You bring up an excellent point Anglo.
    Those two catches really stand out in my memory.
    They both had a "wow factor" to them and I'm not even really sure why as they weren't exactly for huge gains.
    I'd like to watch them again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast