Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Vikings - What Goes Around...

    [size=13pt]What Goes Around... [/size]

    By Viking Update Staff
    scout.com


    Posted Mar 30, 2008



    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: Vikings - What Goes Around...

    For fans with short memories, the Vikings were involved in a draft-day trade last year that gave the Denver Broncos a fourth-round pick (No. 121 overall) after the Vikings moved up in the fourth round to get Brian Robison. As part of that trade, the Broncos gave the Vikings their sixth and seventh round picks last year and their third-round pick this year
    Wow, we were all over the draft board last year apparantly.. we move up in the 4th, traded away a 4th, and received a 6th, 7th, and a 3rd for that?
    Excellent trade imo.. lol


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Vikings - What Goes Around...

    For those that didn't hit the link, the Vikings traded a 4th-rounder last year for a 3rd-round pick this year.

    I love this trade and trades like it for the Vikes.
    Trading for future picks is awesome because you get amazing value.
    For example, last year there were five draft day trades that involved future picks.
    Here are the trades with the draft pick values as measured on the standard draft trade value chart (link):

    -The Colts traded the 126th pick and the 29th pick in the 2008 draft (686 points) to the 49ers for the 42nd pick (480 points)
    -The Chargers traded the 62nd, 93rd, and 167th picks plus the 90th pick in the 2008 draft (570.6 points) to the Bears for the 37th pick (530 points)
    -The 49ers traded the 110th pick and the 7th pick in the 2008 draft (1,574 points) to the Patriots for the 28th pick (660 points).
    -The Browns traded the 36th pick plus the 22nd pick in the 2008 draft (1320 points) to the Cowboys for the 22nd pick (780 points).
    -The Broncos traded the 176th and 233rd pick plus the 73rd pick in the 2008 draft (247 points) to the Vikings for the 121st pick (52 points)

    Some people may see this and think the points are meaningless, but most every draft day trade the past two seasons that doesn't involve future picks or players fall within 5% on the points, and I think only the Bills trade up to the top of the second round last year didn't fall within 10%.
    Only the Chargers/Bears deal ended up within that marker for the trades listed above.


    So it's basically always a good deal, and I hope we pull the trigger if a similar opportunity is available this year.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Vikings - What Goes Around...

    Escellent read my friend.

    I keep saying it..... spielman sure knows how to work a draft board.
    ;D

    Man I am jazzed to watch that guy in action again this year.


    We not only have alot of young players that stepped up last year but we have added a good mix of FA this year that have alot of upside allowing ole Ricky boy to pick the cream of the crop the scouts have found that fit the system....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Vikings - What Goes Around...

    marcus thomas eh?
    i really hope it was worth it for them

    thanks for the chance to move up in the draft denver

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  6. #6
    purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    490

    Re: Vikings - What Goes Around...

    Yes this was huge and In my opinion, our draft has been huge since Chilly has taken over which to me is the biggest part of Chillys club. That is what iI love about chilly is his drafting.
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

  7. #7
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Vikings - What Goes Around...

    "Overlord" wrote:
    For those that didn't hit the link, the Vikings traded a 4th-rounder last year for a 3rd-round pick this year.

    I love this trade and trades like it for the Vikes.
    Trading for future picks is awesome because you get amazing value.
    For example, last year there were five draft day trades that involved future picks.
    Here are the trades with the draft pick values as measured on the standard draft trade value chart (link):

    -The Colts traded the 126th pick and the 29th pick in the 2008 draft (686 points) to the 49ers for the 42nd pick (480 points)
    -The Chargers traded the 62nd, 93rd, and 167th picks plus the 90th pick in the 2008 draft (570.6 points) to the Bears for the 37th pick (530 points)
    -The 49ers traded the 110th pick and the 7th pick in the 2008 draft (1,574 points) to the Patriots for the 28th pick (660 points).
    -The Browns traded the 36th pick plus the 22nd pick in the 2008 draft (1320 points) to the Cowboys for the 22nd pick (780 points).
    -The Broncos traded the 176th and 233rd pick plus the 73rd pick in the 2008 draft (247 points) to the Vikings for the 121st pick (52 points)

    Some people may see this and think the points are meaningless, but most every draft day trade the past two seasons that doesn't involve future picks or players fall within 5% on the points, and I think only the Bills trade up to the top of the second round last year didn't fall within 10%.
    Only the Chargers/Bears deal ended up within that marker for the trades listed above.


    So it's basically always a good deal, and I hope we pull the trigger if a similar opportunity is available this year.
    It ONLY matters if you pick players that make the team and contribute in the coming years.

    For instance, Pats fans like to brag about Brady being a 6th rounder...but all of their other picks that year were FLOPS.
    So, if they were so smart, why didn't they just take Brady in the 1st round?
    Hmmmm.....
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    92

    Re: Vikings - What Goes Around...

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    For those that didn't hit the link, the Vikings traded a 4th-rounder last year for a 3rd-round pick this year.

    I love this trade and trades like it for the Vikes.
    Trading for future picks is awesome because you get amazing value.
    For example, last year there were five draft day trades that involved future picks.
    Here are the trades with the draft pick values as measured on the standard draft trade value chart (link):

    -The Colts traded the 126th pick and the 29th pick in the 2008 draft (686 points) to the 49ers for the 42nd pick (480 points)
    -The Chargers traded the 62nd, 93rd, and 167th picks plus the 90th pick in the 2008 draft (570.6 points) to the Bears for the 37th pick (530 points)
    -The 49ers traded the 110th pick and the 7th pick in the 2008 draft (1,574 points) to the Patriots for the 28th pick (660 points).
    -The Browns traded the 36th pick plus the 22nd pick in the 2008 draft (1320 points) to the Cowboys for the 22nd pick (780 points).
    -The Broncos traded the 176th and 233rd pick plus the 73rd pick in the 2008 draft (247 points) to the Vikings for the 121st pick (52 points)

    Some people may see this and think the points are meaningless, but most every draft day trade the past two seasons that doesn't involve future picks or players fall within 5% on the points, and I think only the Bills trade up to the top of the second round last year didn't fall within 10%.
    Only the Chargers/Bears deal ended up within that marker for the trades listed above.


    So it's basically always a good deal, and I hope we pull the trigger if a similar opportunity is available this year.
    It ONLY matters if you pick players that make the team and contribute in the coming years.

    For instance, Pats fans like to brag about Brady being a 6th rounder...but all of their other picks that year were FLOPS.
    So, if they were so smart, why didn't they just take Brady in the 1st round?
    Hmmmm.....
    because Brady didn't have a first round grade coming out of Michigan.
    He was a project that has obviously paid off HUGE for the Patriots.
    You can find gems in late rounds in just about every year.
    Granted, not Super Bowl winning, MVP, touchdown record gems, but gems none the less.

  9. #9
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Vikings - What Goes Around...

    "getyourrollon!" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    For those that didn't hit the link, the Vikings traded a 4th-rounder last year for a 3rd-round pick this year.

    I love this trade and trades like it for the Vikes.
    Trading for future picks is awesome because you get amazing value.
    For example, last year there were five draft day trades that involved future picks.
    Here are the trades with the draft pick values as measured on the standard draft trade value chart (link):

    -The Colts traded the 126th pick and the 29th pick in the 2008 draft (686 points) to the 49ers for the 42nd pick (480 points)
    -The Chargers traded the 62nd, 93rd, and 167th picks plus the 90th pick in the 2008 draft (570.6 points) to the Bears for the 37th pick (530 points)
    -The 49ers traded the 110th pick and the 7th pick in the 2008 draft (1,574 points) to the Patriots for the 28th pick (660 points).
    -The Browns traded the 36th pick plus the 22nd pick in the 2008 draft (1320 points) to the Cowboys for the 22nd pick (780 points).
    -The Broncos traded the 176th and 233rd pick plus the 73rd pick in the 2008 draft (247 points) to the Vikings for the 121st pick (52 points)

    Some people may see this and think the points are meaningless, but most every draft day trade the past two seasons that doesn't involve future picks or players fall within 5% on the points, and I think only the Bills trade up to the top of the second round last year didn't fall within 10%.
    Only the Chargers/Bears deal ended up within that marker for the trades listed above.


    So it's basically always a good deal, and I hope we pull the trigger if a similar opportunity is available this year.
    It ONLY matters if you pick players that make the team and contribute in the coming years.

    For instance, Pats fans like to brag about Brady being a 6th rounder...but all of their other picks that year were FLOPS.
    So, if they were so smart, why didn't they just take Brady in the 1st round?
    Hmmmm.....
    because Brady didn't have a first round grade coming out of Michigan.
    He was a project that has obviously paid off HUGE for the Patriots.
    You can find gems in late rounds in just about every year.
    Granted, not Super Bowl winning, MVP, touchdown record gems, but gems none the less.
    Of course, he didn't...but it's not like they were geniuses for picking him either.
    Basically a lucky guess...like most late rounders that pan out.
    ESPECIALLY since none of their others did.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    92

    Re: Vikings - What Goes Around...

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "getyourrollon!" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    For those that didn't hit the link, the Vikings traded a 4th-rounder last year for a 3rd-round pick this year.

    I love this trade and trades like it for the Vikes.
    Trading for future picks is awesome because you get amazing value.
    For example, last year there were five draft day trades that involved future picks.
    Here are the trades with the draft pick values as measured on the standard draft trade value chart (link):

    -The Colts traded the 126th pick and the 29th pick in the 2008 draft (686 points) to the 49ers for the 42nd pick (480 points)
    -The Chargers traded the 62nd, 93rd, and 167th picks plus the 90th pick in the 2008 draft (570.6 points) to the Bears for the 37th pick (530 points)
    -The 49ers traded the 110th pick and the 7th pick in the 2008 draft (1,574 points) to the Patriots for the 28th pick (660 points).
    -The Browns traded the 36th pick plus the 22nd pick in the 2008 draft (1320 points) to the Cowboys for the 22nd pick (780 points).
    -The Broncos traded the 176th and 233rd pick plus the 73rd pick in the 2008 draft (247 points) to the Vikings for the 121st pick (52 points)

    Some people may see this and think the points are meaningless, but most every draft day trade the past two seasons that doesn't involve future picks or players fall within 5% on the points, and I think only the Bills trade up to the top of the second round last year didn't fall within 10%.
    Only the Chargers/Bears deal ended up within that marker for the trades listed above.


    So it's basically always a good deal, and I hope we pull the trigger if a similar opportunity is available this year.
    It ONLY matters if you pick players that make the team and contribute in the coming years.

    For instance, Pats fans like to brag about Brady being a 6th rounder...but all of their other picks that year were FLOPS.
    So, if they were so smart, why didn't they just take Brady in the 1st round?
    Hmmmm.....
    because Brady didn't have a first round grade coming out of Michigan.
    He was a project that has obviously paid off HUGE for the Patriots.
    You can find gems in late rounds in just about every year.
    Granted, not Super Bowl winning, MVP, touchdown record gems, but gems none the less.
    Of course, he didn't...but it's not like they were geniuses for picking him either.
    Basically a lucky guess...like most late rounders that pan out.
    ESPECIALLY since none of their others did.
    Agreed, but you asked why they didn't draft him in the first round and I quite simply answered your question.
    Seems like you already knew the answer, so why ask the question?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •