Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings weigh pass defense alternatives

[size=13pt]Vikings weigh pass defense alternatives[/size]

This year's draft is flush with quality defensive ends. If the Vikings don't bolster their defensive backfield, they'll likely try to strengthen the line.

By Mark Craig, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 23, 2007 – 9:01 PM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings weigh pass defense alternatives

its much like the recievers drop passes,cuz the Quarterback is struggling. Its a real quandry.
    MMLV
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

About trading down to get a DE -
    i hope they draft someone like Tim Crowder or Charles Johnson
    because the way i see it Quentin Moses had 11.5 sacks 2 years ago so he was double teamed this year so his sacks went down and C.Johnsons went up,
    the same with TiM Crowder, they doubled Robison and Crowders numbers went up

thats why i want them to pick a DE that had at least 2 good seasons like Victor Abiamiri, Adam Carriker, Lamarr Woodley, or Dan Bazuin
    and watch out for sleepers Xavier Jackson and Antwan Barnes

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"WINchester" wrote:
    About trading down to get a DE -
    i hope they draft someone like Tim Crowder or Charles Johnson
    because the way i see it Quentin Moses had 11.5 sacks 2 years ago so he was double teamed this year so his sacks went down and C.Johnsons went up,
    the same with TiM Crowder, they doubled Robison and Crowders numbers went up

thats why i want them to pick a DE that had at least 2 good seasons like Victor Abiamiri, Adam Carriker, Lamarr Woodley, or Dan Bazuin
    and watch out for sleepers Xavier Jackson and Antwan Barnes
    Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaii 6'5 276 4.85

Alama-Francis is a late bloomer. After combining for just 24 tackles, three for loss in his first two seasons, he busted out as a junior in 2005. He had 49 tackles, 7.5 for loss, and five sacks that season. As a senior, he had 39 tackles, 10 for loss, and four sacks on the year.

Upside and potential are the best ways to describe Alama-Francis. He is loaded with both. He has excellent size, and the frame to continue to grow. He also is very strong, and plays with an attitude on the field. He combines that size and strength with excellent athleticism. He is quick, and has the ability to change direction, and close on the ball carrier. Alama-Francis has all the talent to develop into an all around force on the defensive line.

The same two traits - upside and potential - can also be seen as a negative. He is a work in progress, and is very raw. He relies on his physical gifts too often. He will need to refine his skills as both a run stopper and pass rusher in the NFL.

Alama-Francis is an intriguing player because of his combination of talent and upside. He has the talent to play DE in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense, and may even have the frame to eventually grow into a DT. Scouts even had him run drills as a tight end at his pro day, which just shows you how versatile he is. He may not provide an immediate impact, so patience will be needed, but he could develop into a player that can both rush the passer, and stop the run.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

And the latter needs help. The Vikings ranked 30th in sacks per pass play last season, which contributed to a pass defense that tied for last in the league. They had 30 total sacks when the NFL average was 36.3.

What makes having only 30 sacks worse is the fact that the 2nd half of the season teams were throwing 40 to 50 times a game because they couldn't run on us and we should have had a lot more sacks.

Kenechi needs to step up and if he doesn't have 4 sacks in the first 3 games he needs to be benched.

I am hoping that Ray Edwards can have a break out 2nd year.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think Udeze and James will be fine on the ends, but we need a DT that we can substitute in on padding downs.
    Phat Pat is a machine when it comes to stopping the run, but he does not collapse the pocket.
    With Udeze back on the side he normally plays, James back, and a young stud coming in at DT on passing downs, our sack total will be back up again.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think Udeze and James will be fine on the ends, but we need a DT that we can substitute in on padding downs.
    Phat Pat is a machine when it comes to stopping the run, but he does not collapse the pocket.
    With Udeze back on the side he normally plays, James back, and a young stud coming in at DT on passing downs, our sack total will be back up again.
    Darrion Scott might be used as a passing downs DT.
    He played inside on passing downs when Cottrell was DC.
    Perhaps Frazier will realize his ability to do so again?

But a young DT might be a good 4th or 5th round selection because it looks like (fairly young) FA DT Ian Scott formerly of Da Bearrrsss isn't going to sign anywhere, anytime soon.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Funny how people forget about that when they start pointing fingers.
    >
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I'm not sold on Udeze. But a Millard or Randle type tackle would do more for our pass rush than a great end.
    Kevin gets doubled
    a fair amount on passing downs.
    Another stud tackle would make blocking the Vikings a nightmare and improve the pass defense immensely.
    The ends would get more sacks as well if the tackles flush the QB.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Hmm, good point, maybe Okoye wouldn't be a bad pick for us at 7!!

I am definitely hoping Erasmus is back with a mean streak, but fact is, it usually takes over a year to two full years to fully rejuvenate a knee.
    We can also hope that Udeze will be stonger this year on the same principal.
    I still think we need a top end, in your face pass rusher!
    In case one of these guys or Scott gets injured again.
    Its a rough position, and more teams are using DEN's cut blocking system.

The option not mentioned in above article, BLITZ!!

I am really hoping that between working with JJ on the Eagles blitz packages, AND having played in the Chicago 46, That Frazier will bring some innovative, surprise blitz pressure to the Vikings Defense!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast