Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings want veteran to compete w/ Ponder

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097190
    Again, if we can get the 2009 team, back on the field healthy, we will be good enough to carry a kid like Ponder.
    I fail to see how Favre can carry Ponder... Oh wait, you must be referring to how a Vet can help guide a ROok. Ok then.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097099
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096929

WR's will have a little hesitancy coming to the Vikes with a Rook QB, but I don't think thats as big an issue as you make it out to be. If paid enough, they will come to the Vikes, especially considering how good of a team we have (if we can resign everybody).
    ??

If we resign everybody as you say, wouldn't we have the same 6-10 team we had last year? How good of a team was that?
    So if you believe we had the same starters on the field last year as we did in 2009, then I can see why you think our OL and Secondary needs to be upgraded.

Long story short, we were a 6-10 team for several reasons:

a. 3 starters out on the OL. At one time all 3 were out for a significant amount of time. That meant 3 backups.

b. 2 starters out at CB.

c. 2 of your primary WR's out for most of the season. 1 that was out for a consecutive weeks. 1, in then out, then in.

d. A QB that had one good ankle and a bumb arm that played (if you can call it playing) to keep a streak alive. Backup got broke as soon as he stepped on the field.

e. Husain went down for a game.

f. Phat Pat wasn't himself and K-dubb, JA were right there MIA as well.

g. I know I am missing some others. Didn't AD miss a game or two.

Again, if we can get the 2009 team, back on the field healthy, we will be good enough to carry a kid like Ponder.

I think the game of football is all based on injuries... You look at the packers they lost some very valuable players to their team but I do see your point. We had 2 starting corners, 3 starting linemen, and our 2 best WRs out majority of the season and thats what killed us, being weak in those areas. Had the injuries not been isolated to just three positions, I don't think our season would have been that bad. The fact we had to resort to third/fourth stringers at the O-line, CB, and WR position is what ultimately killed us IMO.

The point you brought up about the D-Line playing below average (average for any other team) was an excellent point. Our D-Line and O-Line have always been the foundations for offense and defense (regardless of skill players). It just so happen to be the places were we lacked consistency all season long.
    None

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1097193

I think the game of football is all based on injuries... You look at the packers they lost some very valuable players to their team but I do see your point. We had 2 starting corners, 3 starting linemen, and our 2 best WRs out majority of the season and thats what killed us, being weak in those areas. Had the injuries not been isolated to just three positions, I don't think our season would have been that bad. The fact we had to resort to third/fourth stringers at the O-line, CB, and WR position is what ultimately killed us IMO.
    IMO it came down to two things. Turnovers and blocking.

Our line couldn't block a narrow dirt road with an overturned tractor trailer. Because of that, Favre had next to no time to do anything. He was having issues as it was, piss-poor blocking magnified them. Got him killed, and ultimately led us to stick out a rookie who's 'great' game would be considered marginal under any other circumstances.

That led to Peterson not havinga nywhere to run. I thought this year was by far Peterson's best season yet. Even though he only had about 1300 yards, probably 900 or 1000 of those yards were all him. He was running the hardest I've seen him run to date.

Fix the line, fix the interceptions, it's a whole different season. (See: Packers) THey were hurt by injuries, but they blocked much better, and controlled the ball well.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097099
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096929

WR's will have a little hesitancy coming to the Vikes with a Rook QB, but I don't think thats as big an issue as you make it out to be. If paid enough, they will come to the Vikes, especially considering how good of a team we have (if we can resign everybody).
    ??

If we resign everybody as you say, wouldn't we have the same 6-10 team we had last year? How good of a team was that?
    So if you believe we had the same starters on the field last year as we did in 2009, then I can see why you think our OL and Secondary needs to be upgraded.

Long story short, we were a 6-10 team for several reasons:

a. 3 starters out on the OL. At one time all 3 were out for a significant amount of time. That meant 3 backups.

b. 2 starters out at CB.

c. 2 of your primary WR's out for most of the season. 1 that was out for a consecutive weeks. 1, in then out, then in.

d. A QB that had one good ankle and a bumb arm that played (if you can call it playing) to keep a streak alive. Backup got broke as soon as he stepped on the field.

e. Husain went down for a game.

f. Phat Pat wasn't himself and K-dubb, JA were right there MIA as well.

g. I know I am missing some others. Didn't AD miss a game or two.

The point you brought up about the D-Line playing below average (average for any other team) was an excellent point. Our D-Line and O-Line have always been the foundations for offense and defense (regardless of skill players). It just so happen to be the places were we lacked consistency all season long.
    You know what I think, I think you should get off your keyboard and post more........ Just Kidding.

Posts like that get you bumped up on almost every spreadsheet worth being on my friend.

I am sure someone will throw out the "PUKERS" won a SB with a bunch of injuries, however, that is getting old.

Take a look at those injuries and mix in what a "Great QB" will do to help you hide some of those injuries. Case in point, look what happened to them when Rodgers went down and look at what happened to us when Webb came in.

GB Weekly Injury Report

Ours (injuries) were to key starters and for significant amounts of time and our QB (who was injured himself) didn't help matters by turning back into the turnover machine of old.

Vikings Weekly Injury Report

Not one time do I see them having 3 starting OLmen out at one time along with their 2 best WR's out as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097192
    I fail to see how Favre can carry Ponder... Oh wait, you must be referring to how a Vet can help guide a ROok. Ok then.
    LOL, well played.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097207
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097192
    LOL, well played.

I guess, maybe you're talking in literal terms, in which case Favre's powerful arm can literally carry Ponder?

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097194

Our line couldn't block a narrow dirt road with an overturned tractor trailer. Because of that, Favre had next to no time to do anything. He was having issues as it was, piss-poor blocking magnified them. Got him killed, and ultimately led us to stick out a rookie who's 'great' game would be considered marginal under any other circumstances.

That led to Peterson not havinga nywhere to run. I thought this year was by far Peterson's best season yet. Even though he only had about 1300 yards, probably 900 or 1000 of those yards were all him. He was running the hardest I've seen him run to date.

Fix the line, fix the interceptions, it's a whole different season. (See: Packers) THey were hurt by injuries, but they blocked much better, and controlled the ball well.
    Which line though?

Mac
    Hutch
    Sully
    Herrera
    Load

Mac
    Degeare
    Coop
    Cook
    Load

Or
    Mac
    Degear
    Sully
    Cook
    Load

Or
    any combination of OLmen that involved backups and not starters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097209

Which line though?

Mac
    Hutch
    Sully
    Herrera
    Load

Mac
    Degeare
    Coop
    Cook
    Load

Or
    Mac
    Degear
    Sully
    Cook
    Load

Or
    Quite frankly, they both sucked.

in 2009 I think Load very well might have been our best lineman, and he played pretty well for a ROok. Sully was Sully, Herrerra was on and off (think he was hurt, no?), Hutch was off (was he hurt too?), Mac was Mac. None of them played very well, Our ability to get the ball out there through the air, and get our backs out there in space helped us look alot better than we were.

in 2010, I think everyone will admit our line was god-awful. doesn't matter who was in, it was just crap from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097212

Which line though?

Mac
    Hutch
    Sully
    Herrera
    Load

Mac
    Degeare
    Coop
    Cook
    Load

Or
    Mac
    Degear
    Sully
    Cook
    Load

Or

in 2009 I think Load very well might have been our best lineman, and he played pretty well for a ROok. Sully was Sully, Herrerra was on and off (think he was hurt, no?), Hutch was off (was he hurt too?), Mac was Mac. None of them played very well, Our ability to get the ball out there through the air, and get our backs out there in space helped us look alot better than we were.

in 2010, I think everyone will admit our line was god-awful. doesn't matter who was in, it was just crap from day 1.
    Not everyone.

How about the Iggles game. They looked good protecting a QB that could move around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097220
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097212

Which line though?

Mac
    Hutch
    Sully
    Herrera
    Load

Mac
    Degeare
    Coop
    Cook
    Load

Or
    Mac
    Degear
    Sully
    Cook
    Load

Or

Not everyone.

How about the Iggles game. They looked good protecting a QB that could move around.
    One swallow does not a summer make

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast