Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings want veteran to compete w/ Ponder

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1097499
    LOL! Doh!!

I'm thinking we still bring in a Palmer or Hasselbeck sort who will actually compete (and likely win) to start. But, perhaps more importantly, bring a broader depth of experience...esp reading defenses! And, be ready to move on in a year or two anyway.

Last year we had the Rash of Injuries at 3 postions: OL, CB, and WR. Our top guys there kept going down, leading to backups playing with their backups. hmy: And then, to our QBs joining the ranks of rashed.

Got to hope we'll have better luck than that next year!! Seems to me, we just balanced out 09 by having 2 years worth of injuries in 1!!

I'm looking at the schedule right now, and I'm not seeing it get any easier! DET and TB have improved dramatically, and I doubt we win AT SD to start the season. KC is a really tough place to win at. We could easily be 0-4 to start the season! ARI I'll say we can beat at home...unless they get lucky on the QB carosel. Loss at CHI, Lose to the Pack at home!? DOH! And maybe a win at CAR puts us at 2-6 going into our exact middle of the season BYE week.

2nd half don't look much better. Maybe we surprise a couple of teams late and end up with 5 or 6 wins...? 8-8 best case scenario. Ponder starts games around our mid season bye week?

Thing is, new offense, new coordinator, new QBs and NO offseason practice means we're probably in a "rebuilding year."
    I am hoping for Jeff George.:woohoo:

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1097499
    LOL! Doh!!

I'm thinking we still bring in a Palmer or Hasselbeck sort who will actually compete (and likely win) to start. But, perhaps more importantly, bring a broader depth of experience...esp reading defenses! And, be ready to move on in a year or two anyway.

Last year we had the Rash of Injuries at 3 postions: OL, CB, and WR. Our top guys there kept going down, leading to backups playing with their backups. hmy: And then, to our QBs joining the ranks of rashed.

Got to hope we'll have better luck than that next year!! Seems to me, we just balanced out 09 by having 2 years worth of injuries in 1!!

I'm looking at the schedule right now, and I'm not seeing it get any easier! DET and TB have improved dramatically, and I doubt we win AT SD to start the season. KC is a really tough place to win at. We could easily be 0-4 to start the season! ARI I'll say we can beat at home...unless they get lucky on the QB carosel. Loss at CHI, Lose to the Pack at home!? DOH! And maybe a win at CAR puts us at 2-6 going into our exact middle of the season BYE week.

2nd half don't look much better. Maybe we surprise a couple of teams late and end up with 5 or 6 wins...? 8-8 best case scenario. Ponder starts games around our mid season bye week?

Thing is, new offense, new coordinator, new QBs and NO offseason practice means we're probably in a "rebuilding year."
    The only hope with the San Diego game is how slow they generally start each season. Maybe we catch them a bit on their heels without the OTA and normal structure of training camp.

Secondly I would love to get Hasselbeck or Palmer but realistically I do not see it happening. Hasselbeck will likely sign in Seattle for one last campaign. His open market value just isnt there. Palmer will not be avialable either. Mike Brown will NOT give in to his trade request giving Palmer one option to get out of the Bengals, retirement.

We are going to get second flight type guys if we get anyone. To me the most logical are Bulger or McNabb. Now I am not saying I want either on the team. I believe that Ponder will start day one. To the extent we sign a Vet it will be for mentoring and insurance against injury.

I think Mariucci compared Hasselbeck and Ponder's skill set as nearly identical. Their stats in college are also similar. I would like the Hasselbeck option I just don't believe he will come in without some assurances on starting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097470
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097453
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097452
    Vikes haven't even discussed V. Young

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43014816/ns/sports-player_news/

There's two good reasons for that.

1. It's Vince Young we're talking about.

2. Childress is gone.
    Anyone notice how quickly the Vikes Org squashed that little rumor.

Wanna know why I think they did it so quick? Doesn't matter, gonna tell ya anyways........:P

They don't want young Ponder worried about anyone else coming in to "Challenge" him. He is going to go into the season knowing he is the MAN under Center.
    LMAO My friend.

In case you didn't get the memo we are talking about Ponder, not Jackson and Childress and his self anointing ways are gone.

The reason they squashed the rumor so quickly was to make it perfectly clear that the Childress way is no longer.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1097516

2. Childress is gone.

Wanna know why I think they did it so quick? Doesn't matter, gonna tell ya anyways........:P

They don't want young Ponder worried about anyone else coming in to "Challenge" him. He is going to go into the season knowing he is the MAN under Center.
    LMAO My friend.

In case you didn't get the memo we are talking about Ponder, not Jackson and Childress and his self anointing ways are gone.

The reason they squashed the rumor so quickly was to make it perfectly clear that the Childress way is no longer.
    I'm not so sure about that.

Frazier's words about wanting a QB that can compete seems a little odd given the fact they reached so far for their 'franchise QB'.

Smells a whole lot like Childress to me.

So much so, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if TJ ends up being the veteran QB this year.
    He has experience,eg. knows where the rest rooms are, and is good off the bench.
    And as odd as it may seem, I would prefer him to VY.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1097525

2. Childress is gone.

LMAO My friend.

Frazier's words about wanting a QB that can compete seems a little odd given the fact they reached so far for their 'franchise QB'.

So much so, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if TJ ends up being the veteran QB this year.
    He has experience,eg. knows where the rest rooms are, and is good off the bench.
    VY wins on a shit team while TJ is shit on a mediocre to good team.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097527

2. Childress is gone.

LMAO My friend.

Exactly the response I expected. No debate over who would be the best QB, I'd rather have VY hands down.
    But we have Ponder and Webb. Who is going to come in here knowing Ponder will be the likely starter this year?
    What vet would be willing to sit down for a rookie?
    The answer would be TJ.

I see things the way you do. I would like to see McNabb,Bulger,Orton,or Hasselbeck brought in to let Ponder possibly sit for a year or two.
    But that reach at twelve makes that unlikely.

If I'm Wilf and just paid tens of millions for a rookie 'franchise QB', I want him earning his money.

I think Frazier's talk of a vet to compete at QB is wishful thinking.
    I can't see how that can happen.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1097530
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097527

2. Childress is gone.

LMAO My friend.

Exactly the response I expected. No debate over who would be the best QB, I'd rather have VY hands down.
    But we have Ponder and Webb. Who is going to come in here knowing Ponder will be the likely starter this year?
    What vet would be willing to sit down for a rookie?
    The answer would be TJ.

I see things the way you do. I would like to see McNabb,Bulger,Orton,or Hasselbeck brought in to let Ponder possibly sit for a year or two.
    But that reach at twelve makes that unlikely.

If I'm Wilf and just paid tens of millions for a rookie 'franchise QB', I want him earning his money.

I think Frazier's talk of a vet to compete at QB is wishful thinking.
    I can't see how that can happen.
    It'll happen, just watch. Why? Because there's no guarantee Ponder will be ready or if there will even be enough time to get him ready.

Frazier & Wilf won't throw the season down the tubes if plan A fails, leaving Webb as the most experienced QB we have to go 16 games.

It won't be McNabb or Jackson either. It will be someone down from the top of the pool, but no one at the bottom. A vet to come in and backup with the understanding he will get the start if Ponder isn't ready.

They know they reached to get him and I don't think they are at the mentality level of "Well, we took him at 12, so we must start him no matter what."

If they're not smarter than that, get me a new HC coach who will start a QB when said QB is ready & can handle it, not a coach who tosses a rookie QB to the wolves before he's ready, just because they reached at 12 to get him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097498

Remember that one pass Shank dropped vs. the Colts? That wasn't TJ's fault"
    And it wasn't. You still can't get over that one

"oh, well all QB's jump pass"
    You didn't have a problem when Favre did it & I don't believe you had a problem with it when TJ did it in the Bills game for a big play.

But if you want to still dwell on a jump pass from 5 years ago from one of his first games, go ahead.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

Ponder will start and will do just fine. I read an article somewhere that said Frazier is a closet QB guru and he has just been holding back working on defense until he finds just the right guy to work his mojo on.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097545
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097498

Remember that one pass Shank dropped vs. the Colts? That wasn't TJ's fault"
    And it wasn't. You still can't get over that one

"oh, well all QB's jump pass"
    You didn't have a problem when Favre did it & I don't believe you had a problem with it when TJ did it in the Bills game for a big play.

But if you want to still dwell on a jump pass from 5 years ago from one of his first games, go ahead.
    My point was there is an excuse for EVERYTHING regarding TJ. Yes, some things are fine, somethings happen. Some QB's improve over the course of 5 years, TJ didn't, but the excuses kept coming. I'm through trying to prove that TJ was garbage, we're moving on. My only point was there were excuses for EVERything, from the fans, AND the coaches. It is time to move on from the TJ era.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast