Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings Visit with Jay Cutler & DeAngelo Williams

[size=18px]Vikings Visiting with Three Prospects [/size]

Date: Apr 11, 2006
    By: Tim Yotter

The Vikings were busy again on Tuesday, visiting with three draft-eligible players.

Scout.com first reported last week that the Vikings were setting up a visit with Vanderbilt cornerback Jay Cutler, and on Tuesday Cutler was at the team’s Winter Park practice facility. The confident Cutler, at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, is the third-ranked QB in the draft and is expected go in the first half of the first round on April 29.

The Vikings were entertaining another player who is expected to be a first-round pick, Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams. Williams, 5-10 and 217 pounds, was the object of many Vikings draft prognostications before the team signed Chester Taylor in free agency. Williams is the third-ranked running back in the draft, according to scout.com.

Both Williams and Cutler are considered natural fits with the Vikings’ new West Coast system.

The Vikings were also hosting University of Tennessee safety Jason Allen, a 6-2, 223-pound prospect who ranked fifth among safeties in the 2006 draft, according to scout.com.

Vikings Visiting with Three Prospects

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Vikings Visiting with Jay Cutler & DeAngelo Williams

Sorry about putting this thread in the wrong forum. Will one of you mods please move it?

Re: Vikings Visit with Jay Cutler & DeAngelo Williams

[size=18px]Cutler visits Vikes[/size]

By Jon Krawczynski, Associated Press
    Published Wednesday, April 12, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS – Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler and Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams visited the Minnesota Vikings on Tuesday in preparation for the NFL draft.

The Vikings are set to open the season with 15-year veteran Brad Johnson at quarterback, but he will turn 38 this season, and the team would like to acquire a young player to learn under Johnson in preparation for the future.

Cutler’s stock has risen dramatically since the Commodores’ season concluded, with many projecting him to go in the top 10 on April 29.

The Vikings’ first selection is at No. 17, but they have three of the top 51 picks. That gives them plenty of ammunition to package if they want to trade up in the draft to take a shot at one of the big-name quarterbacks in the draft like Cutler, USC’s Matt Leinart or Texas’ Vince Young.

Veteran Mike McMahon, who played under new Vikings coach Brad Childress at Philadelphia last season, is Johnson’s backup, with J.T. O’Sullivan the current No. 3 quarterback, neither of whom are considered to be long-term solutions for the franchise.

Minnesota is in better shape at running back after signing Baltimore backup Chester Taylor to be the No. 1 back in the offseason and with veteran Mewelde Moore also in the mix. But it gets a little thin after that, and Williams is widely considered to be the second-best running back in the draft behind USC’s Reggie Bush.

Childress said the team will bring in about 30 prospects in advance of the draft for workouts, interviews and evaluation. It’s the second straight day the team has entertained a high-profile running back after University of Minnesota star Laurence Maroney visited Monday.

Tennessee safety Jason Allen also visited Tuesday.

Cutler visits Vikes

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

YES!!!!!!

I will take them both...thank you very much!!!

DeAngelo moreso though!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

I know people don't really like the idea of RB at #17, but how does this sound?

First of all, we trade our #51, Seattle's 3rd, and our 5th for Tennessee for #35. Then:

1st round, #17) Deangelo Williams RB Memphis
    2nd round, #35) Leonard Pope/Marcedes Lewis TE Georgia/UCLA
    2nd round, #48) Davin Joseph/Charles Spencer OG Oklahoma/Pittsburgh
    3rd round, #83) Omar Jacobs (won't be there)/Charlie Whitehurst QB Bowling Green/Clemson

This would potentially give us our starting RB, TE, G, and QB. The only problem with it is that from a fans perspective, we traded Daunte Culpepper and Nate Burleson along with a 5th rounder for Leonard Pope. Tell me what you think.

PurpleAttack is offline Waterboy

Decent mock draft Viks_fan.....but where are the LB's in your mock? If we get O Smith back, then we need another running back like we need a hole in the head. At the moment we have 5 picks in the top 51. Your trade idea has us 4 picks in the top 81. Maybe should rethink this a bit?

"PurpleAttack" wrote:
    Decent mock draft Viks_fan.....but where are the LB's in your mock? If we get O Smith back, then we need another running back like we need a hole in the head. At the moment we have 5 picks in the top 51. Your trade idea has us 4 picks in the top 81. Maybe should rethink this a bit?
    I don't think LB is as big of a need as we think it is. We have Ben Leber, who will probably start no matter what. For the other 2 spots, we have E.J., DT, and Napoleon Harris. I think that with Tomlin two of those guys will hopefully step up. Also, remember last year when everyone was saying that we shouldn't draft one of the big 3 Rb's with our #7 because our backfield was already crowded with Mewelde, Michael Bennett, and Onterrio?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"viks_fan21" wrote:

First of all, we trade our #51, Seattle's 3rd, and our 5th for Tennessee for #35. Then:

3rd round, #83) Omar Jacobs (won't be there)/Charlie Whitehurst QB Bowling Green/Clemson

This would potentially give us our starting RB, TE, G, and QB. The only problem with it is that from a fans perspective, we traded Daunte Culpepper and Nate Burleson along with a 5th rounder for Leonard Pope. Tell me what you think.
    I like the first pick...but we don't need a TE...we need another CB in the mix more than a TE...and I still think that we should look at LB, even with the depth that we have there.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

sirweeze is offline Starter

I tend to think that if the Vikings draft Deangelo Williams or any other RB in the first round, he won't be helping us right away. There's just too many guys at RB right now. If we draft an LB, I would think he would have a great shot at starting and helping the team right away.

The only thing I'm adamant about in the draft is getting Eslinger somewhere. He's versitile and would be a longterm replacement for Matt Birk.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "viks_fan21" wrote:

I like the first pick...but we don't need a TE...we need another CB in the mix more than a TE...and I still think that we should look at LB, even with the depth that we have there.
    Yeah, I kinda skipped the Vikings' needs, and just went BPA. I like Deangelo because he was a top 5 pick after the season ended and has done nothing to drop his stock. Pope will be a star at TE, he's almost 6'8".

Let me try again.

17) Ernie Sims/Chad Greenway - take your pick, do you want pro potential or college production.
    48) Davin Joseph - I am standing by this pick, him and Marcus will give us a good, young right side.
    51) Omar Jacobs - There will be good Cb's available here, but Jacobs looks like a huge steal. His throwing motion doesn't concern me a bit.
    3a) Cedric Griffin - Could be a steal. Reminds me of a slower, less explosive Nathan Vasher.
    3b) Martin Nance/Maurice Stovall/Greg Lee - I think the first two may be gone, but Greg Lee will be great. Total steal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast