Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Are the Vikings trust worthy? Pat Williams...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/03/pat-williams-no-longer-trusts-the-vikings/
    Minnesota wants to get younger on the defensive line, and their run defense slipped in 2010. Williams hints that personal issues, however, are at play with his desire to leave.

“Just don’t trust everybody over there no more,” he said. “I feel if I got your back and you don’t got my back, trust [is] gone.”

Childress leaves and everything goes to hell.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Are the Vikings trust worthy? Pat Williams...

Thanks for the read my friend.

I think we will see some comments like this from players, not so much related to the loss of the Chiller (I think you were really joking anyways), but rather, related to how the FO pukes are treating players with respect to contracts.

I know I sound like a broken wheel here, but these damn "Tenders" are just gonna flat piss players off.

If I've learned one thing about the game, teams that are successful seem to have one thing in common.......Everyone is on the same page and have bought into what the staff is trying to do.

No way in heck the players are buying into the crap that is going on right now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I agree with what you are saying but in the end the players need to understand it is a business and there is posturing happening on both sides.

In the end if the reach a CBA agreement and return the 3- 4 year RFA verbage this whole thing does right out the window.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090583

I think we will see some comments like this from players, not so much related to the loss of the Chiller (I think you were really joking anyways), but rather, related to how the FO pukes are treating players with respect to contracts.

I know I sound like a broken wheel here, but these damn "Tenders" are just gonna flat piss players off.

If I've learned one thing about the game, teams that are successful seem to have one thing in common.......Everyone is on the same page and have bought into what the staff is trying to do.

Are you saying Pat Williams is a good player right now? Note his choice of words, "I feel if I got your back and you don’t got my back, trust [is] gone."

I think this has a lot more to do with the Vikings recognizing teh Pat's production had fallen off last year. He was only used in run heavy situations, and even then teams were able to run on us with more success than they have in the past.

Now, that isn't ALL at the feet of Pat, but he wasn't exactly tearing it up either.

So, the Vikings are looking to change...and he feels this is a betrayal of trust because HE wasn't looking to move on...until now.

This is a lot like a few years back ('06) when Ahman Green was crying (literally) because the Packers weren't going to offer him a long term deal. Never mind that he'd just had a season ending knee injury, never mind that his production had dropped off regardless, Green felt Green Bay owed him for all his years of service. They didn't.

The Vikings don't OWE Pat anything. He got paid VERY WELL to perform a service he can no longer perform as well as we need him to. That means that the Vikings need to fix the issue...and Pat doesn't like the inevitable conclusion that fixing the issue might mean replacing Pat Williams. So, instead of accepting that maybe HE SLOWED DOWN, Pat says he feels betrayed so it's not HIM that's the problem.

Even if it really is.

Again, IMO this has almost NOTING to do with FO people and their alleged mismanagement of contracts. Truth is, of all the people we could possibly lose, the only one I was really worried about got signed (Greenway). The rest are, in a word, REPLACEABLE.

Just like Pat.

Caine

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

...If I've learned one thing about the game, teams that are successful seem to have one thing in common.......Everyone is on the same page and have bought into what the staff is trying to do.

Tenders allow teams to allow Players to test free agency.

Jackson had a tender last season...no one even looked. That should have told him something. Do you think that without the tender Jackson would have signed a big money deal somewhere?

How about Ray Edwards? Same deal applied. No one came knocking...he signed. And, to validate our NOT giving him a big value deal, his production fell off.

Tenders don't mean a team doesn't want you, to me they simply mean that the team wants to be realistic about what they'll offer you. And, I'm sorry, if you're going to be Player Pissy Pants because a team RIGHTFULLY doesn't want to throw tons of money after your fluke ass and be on the hook when you tank, then go out and EARN a bigger pay day.

Edwards really didn't. Jackson certainly didn't. As for the rest, we'll see.

Caine

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

I read about this last night. I'm not happy with losing Pat because he was one of my favorite players. However, I do think its for the best if we get someone to replace him. I think this is even more of a reason for us to retain Robison. I know he plays DE but he gives us such a lift when he moves inside on pass rush situations. I would love to see him take over for Ray Edwards and then bring in a DT although there isn't much to look at in FA...

FA:
    Brandon Mebane
    Alan Branch
    Shaun Cody
    Chris Hoke

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090578
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/03/pat-williams-no-longer-trusts-the-vikings/
    Minnesota wants to get younger on the defensive line, and their run defense slipped in 2010. Williams hints that personal issues, however, are at play with his desire to leave.

“Just don’t trust everybody over there no more,” he said. “I feel if I got your back and you don’t got my back, trust [is] gone.”

Childress leaves and everything goes to hell.
    My take is that Pat said at the end of the season that he would most likely play 2 more years and that he would not be back with the Vikes. This is consistent with that. I dont really put alot of stock into what he is saying. I think its more sour grapes than anything....

Based on what I have read from Frazier and Spielman with respect to that is that we are trying to improve our team for the long run. We are not interested in signing a guy to finish out with us, when his production has fallen off considerably. I have no issue with the Vikes looking to upgrade the position.

Pat was one of my favorite players over the last few years. Even as a fan you cannot make the argument that he was effective last year. Time to move on, Sorry Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1090598

...If I've learned one thing about the game, teams that are successful seem to have one thing in common.......Everyone is on the same page and have bought into what the staff is trying to do.

Tenders allow teams to allow Players to test free agency.

Jackson had a tender last season...no one even looked. That should have told him something. Do you think that without the tender Jackson would have signed a big money deal somewhere?

How about Ray Edwards? Same deal applied. No one came knocking...he signed. And, to validate our NOT giving him a big value deal, his production fell off.

Tenders don't mean a team doesn't want you, to me they simply mean that the team wants to be realistic about what they'll offer you. And, I'm sorry, if you're going to be Player Pissy Pants because a team RIGHTFULLY doesn't want to throw tons of money after your fluke ass and be on the hook when you tank, then go out and EARN a bigger pay day.

Edwards really didn't. Jackson certainly didn't. As for the rest, we'll see.

Caine
    Are you going to keep using last year as the basis for what our players are worth cause no one came and tried to sign them.

In case you haven't heard, ......

NFL players’ union files collusion claim

.......of course none of the teams went after other teams players. It was something the owners agreed upon and because they didn't, it allowed them to bankroll 5 Billion dollars.

So to sit here and contend that your view point on what a tender means to a player is accurate, flies in the face of what the players actually think about them.

Heres something to chew on.......When a player decides to have a surgery late and won't play, or doesn't produce on the field cause he has a "Near High Ankle Sprain"......Don't get all PISSY PANTS with them cause they are basically producing at the reduced level that the teams have reduced level pay warrants.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1090597

Are you saying Pat Williams is a good player right now? Note his choice of words, "I feel if I got your back and you don’t got my back, trust [is] gone."

I think this has a lot more to do with the Vikings recognizing teh Pat's production had fallen off last year. He was only used in run heavy situations, and even then teams were able to run on us with more success than they have in the past.

Now, that isn't ALL at the feet of Pat, but he wasn't exactly tearing it up either.

So, the Vikings are looking to change...and he feels this is a betrayal of trust because HE wasn't looking to move on...until now.

This is a lot like a few years back ('06) when Ahman Green was crying (literally) because the Packers weren't going to offer him a long term deal. Never mind that he'd just had a season ending knee injury, never mind that his production had dropped off regardless, Green felt Green Bay owed him for all his years of service. They didn't.

The Vikings don't OWE Pat anything. He got paid VERY WELL to perform a service he can no longer perform as well as we need him to. That means that the Vikings need to fix the issue...and Pat doesn't like the inevitable conclusion that fixing the issue might mean replacing Pat Williams. So, instead of accepting that maybe HE SLOWED DOWN, Pat says he feels betrayed so it's not HIM that's the problem.

Even if it really is.

Again, IMO this has almost NOTING to do with FO people and their alleged mismanagement of contracts. Truth is, of all the people we could possibly lose, the only one I was really worried about got signed (Greenway). The rest are, in a word, REPLACEABLE.

Just like Pat.

Caine
    How in the hell did you take my post and turn it into a "What do you think Pat"......discussion.

You of all people know how long I've been chanting that we need to upgrade his position. Hell, just recently you hacked on me about DT's in the TJ thread.

Gimme a break.

My reply to my good friend PF was about the staffs treating of players in general, related to his Chiller comment, and had nothing to do with Phat Pat my friend.

To think, you used to be so good at reading what people posted and replying to that post. Now you just seem to be a man who is posting with an agenda and that agenda is to try to save yourself from buying me a few beers. :laugh: :P

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090619
    that agenda is to try to save yourself from buying me a few beers. :laugh: :P
    Don't think he's really worried about that at all haha.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast