Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Vikings' Training Camp Battles: WR

"C" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=BleedinPandG link=topic=52703.msg980868#msg980868 date=1249907485]
    While I agree Wade should be fitting for a Roster spot given his potential and some of the youth also on the squad... who do we really have left to groom our young receivers if we do cut him?
    Berrian would be the only real Vet with any significant playing time in his career on our squad... is that really what we want?
    no.
    IMO, cutting wade would be a MASSIVE mistake.
    Thats putting all your faith in Rice to get to the level we are hoping, and for Harvin, Jaymar and Darius to be instant contributers.
    Thats a tall order.

I don't know if Wade will make the final cuts. I think right now the only locks at WR are Berrian, Rice, and Harvin. If we decide to keep 6 WR's Wade will be in the mix.

Both Reynaud, and Harvin are slot recievers which is Wade's natural position. Also Darius, and Percy return kicks. It is going to be hard to round this group out if we only keep 5 guys at WR.

I think, due to the debth we have at OL we keep 1 less Olineman, and go 6 at WR. Just an observation. Veteran leadership is overrated, with the coaching they recieve.
    Why Wouldn't Wade make the cuts? I know he's not the flashiest of receivers, but he's been our top target 2/3 seasons, our most reliable target last season.
    As far as I'm concerned, Rice has alot of proving to do still, and Jaymar/Reynaud have not done squat in the NFL.
    Cutting Wade is saying "We're going to put all our faith in 3 young players."

Remember the love-fest for Jason Carter a few seasons ago?
    Everyone was willing to throw everyone out the door for the kid... look where he is now.
    nowhere.

Jaymar is this years Jason Carter.

There comes a time when you have to ignorep otential, and go with the better football player.
    If it means trying to slip Reynaud to practice squad, then so be it.
    I agree with this. I think Wade will be on the roster again this year. This is Rice's make or break year.
    People said that about Rice last year.
    [/quote]

I don't remember people saying that...I remember people saying they thought he would really break out, but not that it was make or break.
    He was only a second year player coming off of a promising rookie campaign.
    I would agree though that this is pretty much make or break.
    We'll find out if he's got the stuff or if we need to keep looking for that big posession guy.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=52703.msg980870#msg980870 date=1249908078]
    [quote author=BleedinPandG link=topic=52703.msg980868#msg980868 date=1249907485]
    While I agree Wade should be fitting for a Roster spot given his potential and some of the youth also on the squad... who do we really have left to groom our young receivers if we do cut him?
    Berrian would be the only real Vet with any significant playing time in his career on our squad... is that really what we want?
    no.
    Thats putting all your faith in Rice to get to the level we are hoping, and for Harvin, Jaymar and Darius to be instant contributers.
    Thats a tall order.

I don't know if Wade will make the final cuts. I think right now the only locks at WR are Berrian, Rice, and Harvin. If we decide to keep 6 WR's Wade will be in the mix.

Both Reynaud, and Harvin are slot recievers which is Wade's natural position. Also Darius, and Percy return kicks. It is going to be hard to round this group out if we only keep 5 guys at WR.

I think, due to the debth we have at OL we keep 1 less Olineman, and go 6 at WR. Just an observation. Veteran leadership is overrated, with the coaching they recieve.
    Why Wouldn't Wade make the cuts? I know he's not the flashiest of receivers, but he's been our top target 2/3 seasons, our most reliable target last season.
    As far as I'm concerned, Rice has alot of proving to do still, and Jaymar/Reynaud have not done squat in the NFL.

Everyone was willing to throw everyone out the door for the kid... look where he is now.
    nowhere.

There comes a time when you have to ignorep otential, and go with the better football player.
    I agree with this. I think Wade will be on the roster again this year. This is Rice's make or break year.
    [/quote]

I don't remember people saying that...I remember people saying they thought he would really break out, but not that it was make or break.
    We'll find out if he's got the stuff or if we need to keep looking for that big posession guy.
    [/quote]

Breakout is correct.
    I'm voting for make instead of break. He has a shipload of potential.
    And I have his jersey.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

carolinafan is offline Rookie

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=52703.msg980870#msg980870 date=1249908078]
    no.
    Thats a tall order.

nowhere.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rice came out after his soph. year in college.
    He used a red shirt year so he was three years removed from high school.
    He is the real deal if he can keep from being injured.
    That may be his biggest hurdle.
    He lost his first year at SC due to injury, so it seems like that trend is continuing in MN.
    I hope he can stay healthy and I think you'll be in good shape with him.

One other thing, I read posts on hear about your WR's (or the lack thereof) all the time.
    It seems no one is ever happy with them and every year is a make or break year for many receivers on the Vikings roster.
    Has it ever occurred to anyone that the Vikings passing game is not real good b/c of other reasons?
    (Like QB play, pass blocking, play calling).
    I've watched many Viking games, and I feel like the offensive scheme (as far as passing game) is one of the worst in the league.
    The QB play hasn't been much to talk about either the past 3 or 4 years.
    Just an observation.
    The poor passing numbers have more to do with your coaches than your WR's.
    IMO

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"carolinafan" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=PurpleTide link=topic=52703.msg980872#msg980872 date=1249909436]
    no.
    Thats a tall order.

nowhere.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He lost his first year at SC due to injury, so it seems like that trend is continuing in MN.

One other thing, I read posts on hear about your WR's (or the lack thereof) all the time.
    It seems no one is ever happy with them and every year is a make or break year for many receivers on the Vikings roster.
    Has it ever occurred to anyone that the Vikings passing game is not real good b/c of other reasons?
    I've watched many Viking games, and I feel like the offensive scheme (as far as passing game) is one of the worst in the league.
    Just an observation.
    IMO
    [/quote]

Why yes, yes it has.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "carolinafan" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=52703.msg980874#msg980874 date=1249909936]
    [quote author=PurpleTide link=topic=52703.msg980872#msg980872 date=1249909436]
    no.
    Thats a tall order.

nowhere.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just an observation.
    IMO
    [/quote]

Why yes, yes it has.
    [/quote]

BS. Rice is the reason the passing game sucks.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

OK. Well maybe not Rice.
    But the truth is this.
    You can make excuses all day. But they don't cut it in the NFL.

Injuries may seem like a legitimate excuse to a fan.
    But players are paid big money to produce.
    He left early, he was injured, he was whatever, doesn't mean much when he's getting paid well and holding down a roster spot.

I like Rice.

I hope he can stay healthy and produce.

The Vikings could use his help.
    Dilfer

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

The roster has been released (the first official version) and Berrian and Rice are the starters.
    Percy Harvin is third string behind Bobby Wade.
    Jaymar Johnson is backing up Berrian and Reynaud is third string.
    It seems like we might keep 6 WR's.
    Jaymar Johnson is our punt returner and second string kick returner.
    Percy is starting kick returner and backup punt returner.
    Reynaud is third string in both.

midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion

"Yfz01" wrote:
    The roster has been released (the first official version) and Berrian and Rice are the starters.
    Percy Harvin is third string behind Bobby Wade.
    Jaymar Johnson is backing up Berrian and Reynaud is third string.
    It seems like we might keep 6 WR's.
    Jaymar Johnson is our punt returner and second string kick returner.
    Percy is starting kick returner and backup punt returner.
    Reynaud is third string in both.
    Link?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123