Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' Training Camp Battles: WR

[size=13pt]Vikings' Training Camp Battles: Wide Receiver[/size]

by Gonzo on Aug 8, 2009 11:25 AM CDT

When it comes to Minnesota Vikings' Training Camp, all eyes are pretty well focused on the battle at the quarterback position, as well they should be.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: Vikings' Training Camp Battles: WR

While I agree Wade should be fitting for a Roster spot given his potential and some of the youth also on the squad... who do we really have left to groom our young receivers if we do cut him?
    Berrian would be the only real Vet with any significant playing time in his career on our squad... is that really what we want?
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    While I agree Wade should be fitting for a Roster spot given his potential and some of the youth also on the squad... who do we really have left to groom our young receivers if we do cut him?
    Berrian would be the only real Vet with any significant playing time in his career on our squad... is that really what we want?
    no.
    IMO, cutting wade would be a MASSIVE mistake.
    Thats putting all your faith in Rice to get to the level we are hoping, and for Harvin, Jaymar and Darius to be instant contributers.
    Thats a tall order.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    no.
    Thats putting all your faith in Rice to get to the level we are hoping, and for Harvin, Jaymar and Darius to be instant contributers.
    Thats a tall order.

I don't know if Wade will make the final cuts. I think right now the only locks at WR are Berrian, Rice, and Harvin. If we decide to keep 6 WR's Wade will be in the mix.

Both Reynaud, and Harvin are slot recievers which is Wade's natural position. Also Darius, and Percy return kicks. It is going to be hard to round this group out if we only keep 5 guys at WR.

I think, due to the debth we have at OL we keep 1 less Olineman, and go 6 at WR. Just an observation. Veteran leadership is overrated, with the coaching they recieve.

Blog Entries

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    no.
    Thats a tall order.

I don't know if Wade will make the final cuts. I think right now the only locks at WR are Berrian, Rice, and Harvin. If we decide to keep 6 WR's Wade will be in the mix.

Both Reynaud, and Harvin are slot recievers which is Wade's natural position. Also Darius, and Percy return kicks. It is going to be hard to round this group out if we only keep 5 guys at WR.

I think, due to the debth we have at OL we keep 1 less Olineman, and go 6 at WR. Just an observation. Veteran leadership is overrated, with the coaching they recieve.
    Why Wouldn't Wade make the cuts? I know he's not the flashiest of receivers, but he's been our top target 2/3 seasons, our most reliable target last season.
    As far as I'm concerned, Rice has alot of proving to do still, and Jaymar/Reynaud have not done squat in the NFL.
    Cutting Wade is saying "We're going to put all our faith in 3 young players."

Remember the love-fest for Jason Carter a few seasons ago?
    Everyone was willing to throw everyone out the door for the kid... look where he is now.
    nowhere.
    Jaymar is this years Jason Carter.

There comes a time when you have to ignorep otential, and go with the better football player.
    If it means trying to slip Reynaud to practice squad, then so be it.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    no.
    Thats a tall order.

Why Wouldn't Wade make the cuts? I know he's not the flashiest of receivers, but he's been our top target 2/3 seasons, our most reliable target last season.
    As far as I'm concerned, Rice has alot of proving to do still, and Jaymar/Reynaud have not done squat in the NFL.

Everyone was willing to throw everyone out the door for the kid... look where he is now.
    nowhere.

There comes a time when you have to ignorep otential, and go with the better football player.

I would compare Reynaud to J. Carter, but I bet Jaymar makes the team this year. Wade will make the squad if we but will be pushed. I see these guys making the team, Berrian, Rice, Harvin, Johnson, Wade, and Reynaud.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Wade is a possession receiver, he catches the tough balls in the middle.
    He knows how to find the holes in the D, which is gained through experience.
    The young guys may have speed and good hands, but they haven't proven that they can be the guy that can move the chains.

I like how the Stewart the WR coach put it, ""Sidney's a big red-zone target, Bernard is a deep threat, Percy is a wiggle, Bobby Wade is possession."
    If one of the other guys can add to the portfolio, like Jaymar's punt return skills, then he's the guy.
    Regardless if Reynaud or Holt is superior at one of the other positions.

A consistantly good punt returner!
    That would be nice.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Freya is offline Team Alumni

The whole paragraph on Wade could have easily been about TTaylor back in the day. Who I thought was easily as competent as Wade if not more so. In fact I liked TT so much that I was gonna get a his jersey. Then they let him go. Then I was gonna get a Richardson jersey. Yep, they let him go.
    So this year, I want a Griffin Jersey.................... do you hear me, Childress......FREYA WANTS A GRIFFIN JERSEY!

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Blog Entries

"gagarr" wrote:
    Wade is a possession receiver, he catches the tough balls in the middle.
    He knows how to find the holes in the D, which is gained through experience.
    The young guys may have speed and good hands, but they haven't proven that they can be the guy that can move the chains.

I like how the Stewart the WR coach put it, ""Sidney's a big red-zone target, Bernard is a deep threat, Percy is a wiggle, Bobby Wade is possession."
    If one of the other guys can add to the portfolio, like Jaymar's punt return skills, then he's the guy.
    Regardless if Reynaud or Holt is superior at one of the other positions.

A consistantly good punt returner!
    That would be nice.
    seems harvin has been getting alot of reps during practice returning... I'm betting they plan on using him.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    no.
    Thats a tall order.

nowhere.

I agree with this. I think Wade will be on the roster again this year. This is Rice's make or break year.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast