Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings Trade up for Jasper Brinkley

"thatjusthappened28" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=cogitans link=topic=51643.msg942898#msg942898 date=1241194532]
    [quote author=V link=topic=51643.msg942576#msg942576 date=1241125337]
    [quote author=thatjusthappened28 link=topic=51643.msg942555#msg942555 date=1241121071]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51643.msg942427#msg942427 date=1241104029]
    [quote author=PatriotsDaily.com link=topic=51643.msg942425#msg942425 date=1241103868]
    We had a pre-draft interview with Brinkley:

Jasper Brinkley Q&A With PD

We came away very impressed with him. We wish him well with the Vikings.
    Thanks for the read.

Are you the author or a rep from the mag?
    Very impressive if you are.
    We have a forum for introductions.
    Please feel free to make a post and introduce yourself.
    Should be an interesting one.

;D

Pending that, welcome to the site.
    that was a good read... shows he is really committed into getting better and working hard to play any position we need him at.
    VERY Interesting read. I just wonder he fits in. He was mentioned as a 3-4 ILB twice and an MLB once, but EJ aint going anywhere. Also says that he needs to work on coverage, which does not work at all in our scheme. Can he really slide out to OLB like he says he can? Maybe take over for Leber?

If he's a boom, and PWill retires..... Does the 3-4 come into play here in Minny?

EJ

Jasper

Chad

Ben

Jared

Kevin

Ray

Ugh. NEVERMIND. Why did I just do that? I hate the idea of the 3-4 here. Ben is not a 3-4 OLB. Our secondary doesn't have what it takes for the 3-4
    That makes no sense for a number of reasons. We don't have a NT for the 3-4 (without Pat), Kevin is a 3-technique, and would play DE in a 3-4.

In 3-4 you'd have to wonder if Jared can stand up to become an OLB. He would not get his best skills in play as a 3-4 DE
    We cannot play a 3-4 defense. Our DEs are not large enough and we will get the ball run down our throats.
    [/quote]

Agreed.
    I could see KW playing DE in a 3-4 now, and, perhaps NT late in his career.
    JA would need to move to OLB...neither makes sense now IMHO.
    Not to mention that it would be way too much to ask a rookie to step in to the starting lineup this early...
    [/quote]
    First of all, why fix something that ain't broke?
    Face it guys! We have one of the best defensive teams in the NFL. We have been the best run-stopping team in the last three years, and our pass defense is definitely above average.
    Secondly, did you know that Jared Allen was actually projected as a future defensive TACKLE in NFL by some of the draft scouts.
    Thirdly, I think Kevin Williams would be a beast as a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme. He played defensive end in college. However, the Vikings tried out a 3-4 scheme once and Kevin didn't like it.

PS: I think it would be sweet to have E.J. and Erin Henderson in the middle. Imagine that duo!!
    [/quote]

I agree with all 4 of you.
    [/quote]

+1
    [/quote]

2 THINGS.. didn't we re-sign EJ to an extension two years ago??..

and the other thing.. i agree with Marr.. however, i'm not sure brinkley will supplant EJ... with that said, all one has to do is look at the Steelers and see what kind of philosophy that is.. they never have rookies' starting.. hardly ever anyway..

Palomalou. didnt' even start when he was drafted.. i think ben was the last one, and prior to that, i can't really recall one...

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

You all are over analyzing this

He is a developmetal guy with alot of potential

The tampa 2 calls for lighter LBS to cover zones and TEs

If he develops into a good LB when EJ retires or walks we have someone to take his place

That's pretty much the jist of it

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

"peterson-rox28" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "peterson-rox28" wrote:
    We should just stick to what we are great at, 4-3 defense!
    Smart man...

"C" wrote:
    If it ain't broke...
    DON'T FIX IT!!
    yeah exactly!

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Thought maybe you folks would enjoy this...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44178127.html

* Best story I got from today came from Johnson about Clay Matthews:

The two went head-to-head on the first day of practices at the Senior Bowl, and it was memorable.

"As far as the collision, it was just a standstill. We both just stopped," Johnson said. "That guy is strong. Definitely. Most everybody that I hit, I can knock them back. But not that guy. It was pretty serious."

Johnson said through all his practice time against NFL-caliber players at LSU and in games against SEC competition, there has been only one other guy that stood him up: South Carolina linebacker Jasper Brinkley, who was a fifth-round pick this year of the Minnesota Vikings.

"He was the only other guy I hit and didn't move," Johnson said.

There was one more thing Johnson remembered from his collision with Matthews.

"I had a vicious headache for the rest of the day," Johnson said. "Like I said, the guy is strong. He doesn't give ground."

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    LB's can usually play for along time, I agree EJ should be with us for quite sometime.

Marr is right though about the young players, as long as one performs well in the draft you'll do fine in the future.
    Thank you.

Drafting a guys replacement 2 years before he is needed is also a great way to make sure the replacement is ready to go if the guy decides to take a huge deal from some "Overbidding" team.

Seriously, whats to say that EJ wouldn't take a bigger offer from someone?
    To sit here and think that he would want to give us a discount bargain basement deal just because he wanted to stay and help the team win is kindof out there if you ask me.

Players leave for more money all the time.
    If we are already planning on replacing EJ, that is a MAJOR problem.

I'm not sitting here thinking he will take a discount bargain basement deal from us. I'm here thinking it would be pathetic to offer such a good player the discount bargain price. I'm here thinking we should step up and give EJ the payday he deserves before he even sniffs the market.

I'll agree that Jasper offers good insurance, but grooming him to replace EJ? Let's see him play some pro football first.
    EJ's not going anywhere.

After EJ went down last year, we were VERY thin at LB, hence the resigning of Napoleon Harris.

Why wouldn't we draft Jasper Brinkley? If he works out, we have another great LB... Has nothing to do with EJ
    Ding Ding We have a Winner.
    What do you mean it has nothing to do with EJ.

EJ went down last year.
    Pointed out the lack of depth.
    What is the plan this year if EJ goes down?
    Go out and sign someone off the streets again or have a kid in the system (even though it is a short time).

Equates to something to do with EJ to me.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Vikings rookie linebacker Jasper Brinkley likes to deliver some hurt with his hits[/size]

Brinkley likes to add some hurt to his hits

By Sean Jensen
    [email protected]

Updated: 05/02/2009 08:55:41 PM CDT

Even before he joined South Carolina's coaching staff in January 2008, Ellis Johnson was aware of Gamecocks middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Vikings rookie linebacker Jasper Brinkley likes to deliver some hurt with his hits[/size]

Brinkley likes to add some hurt to his hits

By Sean Jensen
    [email protected]

Updated: 05/02/2009 08:55:41 PM CDT

Even before he joined South Carolina's coaching staff in January 2008, Ellis Johnson was aware of Gamecocks middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley.....

atta boy!

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789