Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    I think it was a good move for the Vikes because they obviously weren't in love with anyone at that spot. They didn't get taken on the trade and they'll end up with the same player they would have selected or someone they have rated at a very similar level.

    Of course they could also trade out, and there was a lot of talk leading up to the draft that these early second round selections would be coveted more than normal because of the new format. With the break between rounds one and two, the thinking is that more teams will want to move up and grab someone they had rated highly that has slipped. I don't know if that will actually happen or if teams at the top of round 2 will get better than normal value in any trade if it does.

    If I'm a Lions fan I'm not sold on this move just because they used it to take a running back. I'm of the opinion that, other than a handful of studs, most backs are a dime a dozen. Nonetheless, they liked the guy enough to move up, and we'll see what happens.

    Just for reference, here's how the trade works out with the draft value chart:

    Vikes Receive:
    Pick 34 = 560 points
    Pick 100 = 100 points
    Pick 214 = 0.9 points
    Total = 660.9 points

    Lions Receive
    Pick 30 = 620 points
    Pick 128 = 44 points
    Total = 664 points

    That's pretty much right in line with expectations. Most trades still conform to that chart within about 5% of the trade value (or a handful of points for later rounds). Every once in a while you see a team that has to overpay to move up or down because they are desperate. But even the Broncos trade for Tebow was actually in line with this thing (776/776).
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  2. #22
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,532

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    Good move now that I've had a night to think about it.

    I wish the Triangle of Authority would have taken into account that I was very tired and needed my beauty rest, but I digress.

    Really hoping we get McCoy somehow, but my guess is we go OL with our first pick and probably DT or QB with the second.

    Did anyone hear if a freak accident happened to Jimmy Clausen yet? Stage light falling? Rogue taxi? Anything?

    Boy, I hope so.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  3. #23
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    C Mac D wrote:
    Good move now that I've had a night to think about it.

    I wish the Triangle of Authority would have taken into account that I was very tired and needed my beauty rest, but I digress.

    Really hoping we get McCoy somehow, but my guess is we go OL with our first pick and probably DT or QB with the second.

    Did anyone hear if a freak accident happened to Jimmy Clausen yet? Stage light falling? Rogue taxi? Anything?

    Boy, I hope so.
    I hope we go after McCoy as well...but I suspect we're going after Mays instead.

    Once again, I don't see this Regime addressing the QB issue appropriately. No suprise there...

    Caine

  4. #24
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    I like the trade, puts Vikes in good trade situation (QB needs of KC,Clev,Buf, and somewhat Oak), taking the "best player available", or adding needed depth.

    Having lots of time between 1st and 2nd round, only benefits the Vikes as trades go.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  5. #25
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is online now Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,569

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    From what I have been hearing this morning is that the Browns and Bils have both contacted the Rams for a possible trade up. I hope it is the Bills and not the Browns as I see the Bills drafting Clausen and the Browns wanting McCoy because of the wco system McCoy is familiar with from college.

    I hope we draft McCoy today damnit.

  6. #26
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    C Mac D wrote:
    Good move now that I've had a night to think about it.

    I wish the Triangle of Authority would have taken into account that I was very tired and needed my beauty rest, but I digress.

    Really hoping we get McCoy somehow, but my guess is we go OL with our first pick and probably DT or QB with the second.

    Did anyone hear if a freak accident happened to Jimmy Clausen yet? Stage light falling? Rogue taxi? Anything?

    Boy, I hope so.
    A developmental QB at #62 will make me blow chunks. Take Clausen/McCoy if you don't have any faith in TJ/Sage to buy time to get a franchise QB in FA, trade, or 1st/early 2nd QB in the next few years.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  7. #27
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,532

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    gagarr wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Good move now that I've had a night to think about it.

    I wish the Triangle of Authority would have taken into account that I was very tired and needed my beauty rest, but I digress.

    Really hoping we get McCoy somehow, but my guess is we go OL with our first pick and probably DT or QB with the second.

    Did anyone hear if a freak accident happened to Jimmy Clausen yet? Stage light falling? Rogue taxi? Anything?

    Boy, I hope so.
    A developmental QB at #62 will make me blow chunks. Take Clausen/McCoy if you don't have any faith in TJ/Sage to buy time to get a franchise QB in FA, trade, or 1st/early 2nd QB in the next few years.
    If watching Childress over the years has taught me anything, it's that he "has it figured out" and will draft his "diamond in the rough" which will turn out to be a mediocre backup at best, forcing him to find a vet to save his own NFL career.

    His lack of urgency to fulfill QB position will be Childress' demise.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  8. #28
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,532

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    PackSux! wrote:
    From what I have been hearing this morning is that the Browns and Bils have both contacted the Rams for a possible trade up. I hope it is the Bills and not the Browns as I see the Bills drafting Clausen and the Browns wanting McCoy because of the wco system McCoy is familiar with from college.

    I hope we draft McCoy today damnit.
    +1
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  9. #29
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    C Mac D wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Good move now that I've had a night to think about it.

    I wish the Triangle of Authority would have taken into account that I was very tired and needed my beauty rest, but I digress.

    Really hoping we get McCoy somehow, but my guess is we go OL with our first pick and probably DT or QB with the second.

    Did anyone hear if a freak accident happened to Jimmy Clausen yet? Stage light falling? Rogue taxi? Anything?

    Boy, I hope so.
    A developmental QB at #62 will make me blow chunks. Take Clausen/McCoy if you don't have any faith in TJ/Sage to buy time to get a franchise QB in FA, trade, or 1st/early 2nd QB in the next few years.
    If watching Childress over the years has taught me anything, it's that he "has it figured out" and will draft his "diamond in the rough" which will turn out to be a mediocre backup at best, forcing him to find a vet to save his own NFL career.

    His lack of urgency to fulfill QB position will be Childress' demise.
    I agree with what you are saying about the "diamond in the rough" thing but you do realize that you are saying this about your hero TJack, right?

  10. #30
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,532

    Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

    ejmat wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Good move now that I've had a night to think about it.

    I wish the Triangle of Authority would have taken into account that I was very tired and needed my beauty rest, but I digress.

    Really hoping we get McCoy somehow, but my guess is we go OL with our first pick and probably DT or QB with the second.

    Did anyone hear if a freak accident happened to Jimmy Clausen yet? Stage light falling? Rogue taxi? Anything?

    Boy, I hope so.
    A developmental QB at #62 will make me blow chunks. Take Clausen/McCoy if you don't have any faith in TJ/Sage to buy time to get a franchise QB in FA, trade, or 1st/early 2nd QB in the next few years.
    If watching Childress over the years has taught me anything, it's that he "has it figured out" and will draft his "diamond in the rough" which will turn out to be a mediocre backup at best, forcing him to find a vet to save his own NFL career.

    His lack of urgency to fulfill QB position will be Childress' demise.
    I agree with what you are saying about the "diamond in the rough" thing but you do realize that you are saying this about your hero TJack, right?
    I will argue that Tjack is the best QB on our roster (sans Favre). I will argue that he deserves a shot and is just starting to show signs of promise.

    But I will also agree that he hasn't done much to this point.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings' QB pick is interesting, but trade for Allen is monumental
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 06:49 AM
  2. Should the Vikings trade up, down, or stay put with their No.17 pick?
    By mountainviking in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM
  3. Vikings to trade 7 pick for Braylon?
    By WINchester FIELDer in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 07:12 PM
  4. Vikings to trade for Bucs 4th pick?
    By WINchester FIELDer in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 01:38 PM
  5. MOVED: If We trade our first round pick who should we trade for?
    By ultravikingfan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 06:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •