Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

This is being discussed somewhat in the live draft thread and somewhat in the "what time will they pick?" thread but I figured it probably deserved its own especially now after details have been released.

The Vikings traded their first round pick (30th overall), and their 4th round pick (128th overall) to the Detroit Lions for their 2nd round pick (34th overall), 4th round pick (100th overall), and 7th round pick (214th overall). With the 30th overall pick, The Lions picked RB Jahvid Best from Cal.

``If there was a player at 30 that we were definitely sold on, that we said, 'There's no way we're going to trade out of this pick to have that player,' then we wouldn't have done it,' Spielman said. ``But I think with us having the options to look at tomorrow, we were able to potentially get a player we may have taken at 30 and help ourselves with our slots.'

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Vikings trade 30th pick for 34th, a 4th,and a 7th

Move probably disappointed alot of people, however, I liked it.

Even if they wanted someone like Clausen at 30, he will still be there with the 34th pick as the only ones ahead of them is the Rams and they surely aren't gonna take another QB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I agree. It was a little frustrating to stay up that late and then they trade away the pick. However, it was a great move imo. At least one of the QBs wil be there and so should Mays or Safford. Either one of these 4 I would be happy with. Also, there are other QBs that will be available even if Clausen and McCoy aren't. As an FYI, they didn't discount trading the #34 either if the price was right from what I understand.

ejmat wrote:
    I agree. It was a little frustrating to stay up that late and then they trade away the pick. However, it was a great move imo. At least one of the QBs wil be there and so should Mays or Safford. Either one of these 4 I would be happy with. Also, there are other QBs that will be available even if Clausen and McCoy aren't. As an FYI, they didn't discount trading the #34 either if the price was right from what I understand.
    It wasn't frustrating, it was very exciting and what makes the draft so much fun.

As I said yesterday, I expect ole Ricky boy to make 3 or 4 moves. 1 down, 2 or 3 to go so you might be right, he might move out of the second pick today, but I'm not sure who would do it as there were alot of moves yesterday.

On a side note, I wasn't to keen on this new format, but so far I like it. Absolutely one of the best drafts in along time even though I seem to only have 2 or 3 picks right in the first round.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Marrdro wrote:

Even if they wanted someone like Clausen at 30, he will still be there with the 34th pick as the only ones ahead of them is the Rams and they surely aren't gonna take another QB.

the Rams could easily trade that pick
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    It wasn't frustrating, it was very exciting and what makes the draft so much fun.

As I said yesterday, I expect ole Ricky boy to make 3 or 4 moves. 1 down, 2 or 3 to go so you might be right, he might move out of the second pick today, but I'm not sure who would do it as there were alot of moves yesterday.

On a side note, I wasn't to keen on this new format, but so far I like it. Absolutely one of the best drafts in along time even though I seem to only have 2 or 3 picks right in the first round.
    I agree. I didn't like the Thursday night draft. I wish they did the 1 and 2 rounds on Friday and 3 - 7 on Saturday. Staying up for me (EST) stunk since we traded the pick. I did like the move though. I think it was very smart. I would like to see the Vikes nab either McCoy or Clausen somehow but even if they took one of the other high prospects (LeFevour) I wouldn't be too upset. I'm not sold on Pike only because of his health issues.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

ejmat wrote:
    I was frustrated also. Staying up late and we don't do anything. The 7th rounder we picked up is not likely to have a shot at a roster spot and isn't worth much aas far as a move up trade. I am not one who thought we should trade up for Clausen, but when a player of that caliber drops that far it would seem beneficial to draft him. Personally, I think it would have been easy to move up and grab a corner or OL who would have had a chance to make an impact this year. As has been stated many times in various threads, there are not too many roster spots available for next season anyway.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

the Rams could easily trade that pick
    To who? Cleveland? They already passed on him and seem to want McCoy instead. Bills? Possibly, but they passed on him as well trying to get Tebow (for the life of me I can't figure out why).

Judging by a couple of insider articles this morning, the Vikes could almost wait until thier 2nd pick in the second and still get him if he gets by those two teams.

Is it his attitude? Is it his toe? Remember, some yutz was on here saying that we shouldn't poooh poooh that injury away as it was the same one that ended Deons career.

To date, I don't think he has run for anyone. Maybe it isn't 100%.

Help us out here Clausen fans. Whats up with your boy? hmy:

marshallvike wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    I was frustrated also. Staying up late and we don't do anything. The 7th rounder we picked up is not likely to have a shot at a roster spot and isn't worth much aas far as a move up trade. I am not one who thought we should trade up for Clausen, but when a player of that caliber drops that far it would seem beneficial to draft him. Personally, I think it would have been easy to move up and grab a corner or OL who would have had a chance to make an impact this year. As has been stated many times in various threads, there are not too many roster spots available for next season anyway.
    The 7th rounder isn't for picking, its for packaging.

Second pick today, followed by a late pick in the second. Package that late pick with your 7th and you could move up again.

Or you could package it with your "Higher" fourth and move up into the 3rd.

Again, not for picking, its for packaging.

ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:

I agree. I didn't like the Thursday night draft. I wish they did the 1 and 2 rounds on Friday and 3 - 7 on Saturday. Staying up for me (EST) stunk since we traded the pick. I did like the move though. I think it was very smart. I would like to see the Vikes nab either McCoy or Clausen somehow but even if they took one of the other high prospects (LeFevour) I wouldn't be too upset. I'm not sold on Pike only because of his health issues.
    Friday and Saturday would be better, problem is, this is the NFLs way of telling the other sports, "We are big enough to eat up prime time if we want".

That is a big statement IMHO.

Won't be long and ESPN won't have anything to report on with respect to NFL cause the NFLN will be covering it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast