Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

The Vikings Top Five Position Battles

[size=13pt]The Minnesota Vikings:Top Five Position Battles[/size]

Entering training camp for the 2009 season, the Minnesota Vikings have some key position battles that will be going on with some young and up-and-coming players...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: The Vikings Top Five Position Battles

"singersp" wrote:

Entering training camp for the 2009 season, the Minnesota Vikings have some key position battles that will be going on with some young and up-and-coming players...
    That was actually pretty good though he did miss Udeze competing for the starting LDE spot.
    Has it been confirmed that Cook will compete for C?
    I was under the impression he was still listed as our starting RT?
    A bit surprising he didn't mention Hicks challenging Load for that position if Cook indeed is losing it.
    Also, do we really think Berrian or Wade are going to compete for PR duties?
    Their spots are already locked up on the Roster with #1 and #2 WR positions, I can't imagine either really "wants" to be the PR and take the extra abuse with no additional pay.
    I like Allison back there due to his speed (and his inability to get on the field in our normal Offense).
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

That was actually pretty good though he did miss Udeze competing for the starting LDE spot.
    A bit surprising he didn't mention Hicks challenging Load for that position if Cook indeed is losing it.
    Their spots are already locked up on the Roster with #1 and #2 WR positions, I can't imagine either really "wants" to be the PR and take the extra abuse with no additional pay.
    I like Allison back there due to his speed (and his inability to get on the field in our normal Offense).
    I've said it before, but I don't see how Udeze will compete for anything this season.
    I will be surprised if he's active for more than 5 games.
    His disease was life threatening... he underwent lots of therapy, and in the process, lost a lot of weight.
    He'll ahve to put that weight back on, then get back into football shape by september, and at this point, he should be more concerned about recovering fully, rather than making an early comeback.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I've said it before, but I don't see how Udeze will compete for anything this season.

His disease was life threatening... he underwent lots of therapy, and in the process, lost a lot of weight.
    He'll ahve to put that weight back on, then get back into football shape by september, and at this point, he should be more concerned about recovering fully, rather than making an early comeback.
    The last article I read on him was that he actualy had to get back down to his playing weight because he put alot on during the last part of his recovery.

His struggle was to take the weight off and rebuild it into muscle mass, not put any back on.

As I've said repeatedly, Ray isn't a LDE.
    Ray is a RDE that played LDE for us because we didn't have a better option much the same way the Keneche played RDE a few years back for the very same reason.
    IF Keneche is even close to 100% (strength wise) he will be the automatic starter at LDE in our base 4-3 defense and Ray and crew will rotate in/out based on down and distance.

Having said all that, my guess is that it will take Kenenche most of this season to get back into true game shape regardless of his weight/strenght and Ray will play a big part of that effort at LDE.

As to C......I am not so sure I am 100% convinced that Cook won't get a shot at C this year.
    I know that I have pooh poohed him away at that position because of his height, however, after looking at the selection of Load, I am wondering if the staffs thought process isn't to get bigger across the line in an effort to improve our ability to run.
    :
    Anyway, barring that from happening, I think the job is Sullies to lose and don't think there is gonna be much competition there.
    The staff let Birk go for a reason and I believe it was because they were comfortable that they had his replacement already on the roster.

RT.
    Finally we have someone else on the roster other than Cook.
    Not so sure Phil will be a immediate upgrade over Ryan based on his scouting report but I do think if he gets the starting nod it will be because of his size (see my comment on the C position) in support of the running game and he will get help from Shanc in the passing game.

QB.
    Of late I am getting a strange feeling that TJ will be the opening day starter.
    Will there be a competition for the job?
    I think there will be, however, I think he is ready to take the next step.
    Again, Cal it a gut feeling.

WR.
    This is one position I don't think we really have any competition at with respect to starters because of the different sets we will see based on down and distance.
    The competition will be for the 5 roster spots.
    Nothing more, nothing less.
    To speculate on who will start is kindof ludicrous based on the scheme and how they will rotate in and out.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

The staff let Birk go for a reason and I believe it was because they were comfortable that they had his replacement already on the roster.
    See Daunte Culpepper, Tony Richardson, Koren Robinson

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Yea, all three of them have lit the league up since they left...... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=51844.msg947813#msg947813 date=1242214859]

[/quote]

not my point, it was we weren't comfortable with a replacement already on the roster.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=BleedinPandG link=topic=51844.msg947818#msg947818 date=1242215239]

[/quote]

not my point, it was we weren't comfortable with a replacement already on the roster.
    [/quote]
    We as fans or we as the staff?

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I liked the article with the few exceptions already pointed out here. RDE, will Udeze be able to compete? RT, is Cook going to get a chance here, or will Hicks and Loadholt be the primary guys? I hope Gordon, and Udeze can come back to their former skill level, but that is a tough one.

I liked the side article's about our coaches and their scheme's: "Vikings head coach Brad Childress and the rest of his staff entering this season will most likely stick to the game plan they have carried the past three years: kick your butt, then do it again.

The teams I have known don't like to get cute, they stuff the ball down the throat of the opposing defense with their running game and force opposing offenses to throw the ball on them."

I look for more of the same, with improved execution on third downs when we do pass. Sorry you pass happy folks, but it will be another season of three yards and a cloud of dust, or at home some torn up turf. 8)

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=51844.msg947821#msg947821 date=1242216471]
    [quote author=BleedinPandG link=topic=51844.msg947818#msg947818 date=1242215239]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    We as fans or we as the staff?
    [/quote]

regardless of who was comfortable, the replacemend didn't really work out well now did it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast